Chinese-Forums

Site upgrade!

roddy

14 hours ago, roddy said:

Although Lu, could you check what your browser text size is set to

Times New Roman 16, default zoom 100%. The letters I see here don't look particularly big to me. I didn't change anything in my browser settings since the site update (or ever, really).

And thanks for all the work! I'm glad you're not taking the (my) grumbling personally.

Ok, so I've toned down the blues and have halved all the spacings (so what was a 4px gap is now 2px, what was 64px is now... you know how halving works). I worry it might all look a little too crowded, but see what you think. 

• Helpful 1

Thank you! This already feels much better. I understand what you mean witht the crowding, but the ratio of information to whitespace is a lot better and that is good.

I think there are a few more places where the spacing could be halved, like in the top banner (blue ribbon with Home - Forums - Blogs etc). Also in the notifications, although it's not nearly as urgent there, since one only opens that occasionally.

Trimmed the notifications bit - there was actually an note in there from the developers that it needed changed. The photos aren't so nicely arranged now, but... anyway, will leave for now and see if someone points out it's now unusable on their device.

I just had something similar when viewing this very post.

Chrome  88.0.4324.192 (Official Build) (x86_64), on OS X Mojave 10.14.6

snap.thumb.png.cb648c27a55e83c6c54313ff7000c56b.png

And I attached a screengrab to this post, but it's not showing up... just an empty white square.

EDIT: Oddly, now I'm editing, I can see it.

• Helpful 1

Looking in the JavaScript console., there are some errors relating to front_front_player.js which seems to be trying to load an HTML5 audio/video player.

Called from root_library.js

As above, I've not seen this kind of behaviour before either.

• Helpful 1

The citing tool is not working atm for me - hoping it's a temporary issue because I use it constantly. Javascript issues perhaps?

Also, same situation as Mungouk: that image is rendered as white square but if you click on it then you can see the actual content.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I too had problems trying to post from Ms Edge.

First set of problems appeared using Chinese Windows IME to type and then back to English. The page froze. It happened several times. I got out by refreshing page, but froze again, repeatedly.

Then in another post, it just froze without the IME to take the blame. I again had to refresh and removed the formatting (using the Tx button).

I was blaming my PC, but glad to know it isn't this time. 

• Helpful 1

Ok, I've turned that off. A forced reload (CTRL+F5 for me) might help, but we should be back to where we were a few hours ago. That's the plugin which embeds an audio player when an audio attachment is uploaded. Looks like the developer is aware and working on a fix. Any other oddities which started then and have ended now will be similar javascript related spanners in the works.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, roddy said:

that'll be the HTML5 audio player, which I'll turn off right now...

And as if by magic the screen-grab has reappeared in the post.

The site also feels a bit more responsive again.

@Luxi, while I have you - can I note the whitespace that's appearing at the end of some of your posts (eg, here). Are you using browser plugins that work in the editor (grammar checkers, for example) or copying and pasting back and forth between a different editor? 

It's not a big deal obviously, just wondering what's happening.

4 minutes ago, roddy said:

, while I have you - can I note the whitespace that's appearing at the end of some of your posts

The white space seems to be part of the box that appears when I open the post or reply function. It gets compounded if I hit CR at the end of my last line (which I tend to do without thinking).  I was able to delete it in my previous post. 

Sorry to @Lu for adding white!    No CR this time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Moshen @xinoxanu @Luxi @mungouk - anyone who had those problems earlier in the month related to the audio player - I've got an update installed now which seems to be working, but let me know if you have any problems. Use admin@chinese-forums.com if issues are preventing you posting. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else getting time-outs while posting?  It's just happened to me 3 times (06:57 UTC)

The site is also very slow at times right now.  524 is a cloudflare-specific timeout apparently.

766485805_Screenshot2021-04-04at14_37_49.thumb.png.71ac7db36f9d82477018d5dada751d92.png

647649407_Screenshot2021-04-04at14_54_42.thumb.png.fe386535f3676b8933a1bd9d8313ef79.png

477498292_Screenshot2021-04-04at14_54_59.thumb.png.289c43fbf9692414ad12ecec221f3e2e.png

test posting without any images attached.

Edit to add: This post also timed out after about 2 minutes, resulting in the cloudflare error page. Reloading the page shows that the posting worked.

Edit again: That edit saved in the normal time.