Chinese-Forums

Coronavirus - those in China, and general discussion

Jan Finster

5 hours ago, Saxondale said:

I completed a Covid test on Saturday evening

Great stuff — did you get an antibody test as well or just the swab/PCR/Nucleic acid test?

The latter only seem to be available by post from what I can tell, if you're a paying customer...? 

5 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Super quick and efficient. 

Green with envy. Glad for you.

Here test results are often slow to become available. One friend waited ten days. 

Another friend went to a testing center, filled out the paperwork, got tired of waiting and left before being tested. In two weeks he received notice that he had tested positive. 

It's embarassing. 

15 hours ago, Saxondale said:

went to my local NHS drive through testing centre

Don't you have to have symptoms (or say you have) to be eligible for the test?  Presumably they don't write this down on the results then?

15 hours ago, abcdefg said:

One friend waited ten days. 

Not very helpful if you want to travel, since the results have to be 5 days old  at most!

32 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Don't you have to have symptoms (or say you have) to be eligible for the test?  Presumably they don't write this down on the results then?

No not necessarily - they've expanded the eligibility criteria quite a bit...they don't check anyway! The email is very generic and doesn't specify why you got tested.

1964802508_NHSCovidTest.thumb.png.28e68685bb1d801155a040c06b099adc.png

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

COVID-19 vaccine ready by December, two shots to cost less than $144: Sinopharm chief

(Global Times, 18 August)

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1198131.shtml

Inactivated COVID-19 vaccine candidates developed by a Chinese pharmaceutical company are likely to be on the market by the end of December, at a price of less than 1,000 yuan ($144) for two shots. 

The marketing review procedure will start after overseas phase III clinical trials are completed, Liu Jingzhen, chairman of the China National Pharmaceutical Group (Sinopharm), was quoted as saying by the Guangming Daily in a report on Tuesday. 

The price of the vaccines will not be high after they go into the market, with two shots costing less than 1,000 yuan, according to Liu. 

[ continues... ]

• Like 1

Beijing has dropped the requirement to wear a mask outside:

https://indianexpress.com/article/world/beijing-says-residents-can-go-mask-free-as-china-coronavirus-cases-hit-new-lows-6564092/

They did the same a while back, but reimposed the rule after another outbreak. Ket's hope this time it lasts longer.

In Harbin I have noticed a slight drop in mask wearing, probably around 90%, down from 99.9%. Although I'm kind of used to it now, I look forward to the day when we don't have to wear one anymore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roddy said:

How spread out are you on the planes at the moment? And is the Wechat group a hive of flirting and conspiring to sneak into each other's rooms?

zero social distancing! it was a packed flight too...

One guy kicked off about his 盒饭 in the group but that's about it!

• Like 2

Well done on making it back, and heroically reporting on the ground so soon!

Are they letting you out of your room at all, for exercise/"fresh" air?

Oh yes and the big question: Are you allowed to 外卖 beer? ?

• Like 1
  • Good question! 1

Do some videos. @Tomsima did videos. And what's Tomsima up to anyway, are you making any plans to head back?

I was a bit surprised by the lack of in-flight social distancing, but guess it makes sense - everyone's been tested recently, and will be in quarantine, so the risks are actually low. 

21 minutes ago, tomasilheu said:

Congrats on making it back to China! Roughly how much did you spend on the quarantine? Including food + hotel for the 14 days. Thanks

6300RMB in total (350 for room + 100 for 3 meals a day). You'll also need to pay 120RMB for your final covid test.

• Helpful 4

2 hours ago, Saxondale said:

6300RMB in total (350 for room + 100 for 3 meals a day). You'll also need to pay 120RMB for your final covid test.

wow, that's not cheap at all. I had a friend who had to go throught the quarantine back in March, but then it was only about 100 per day for the hotel. It was in Hangzhou by the way, so prices may vary depending on the location. Which city are you staying in?