Chinese-Forums

Rock Climbing in Beijing

minipig

Anyone have any idea whether the Boulder Bar is still open? I heard that it closed down sometime last year. An internet search revealed 2 different addresses - 1 in Baiwanzi Road, 1 in Anzhenqiao - not sure if they are one and the same or if the place has moved location. Also, is there a rock climbing location around town that also provides instruction / courses?

if you are ay blcu or near wudaokou, the university of geology opposite the south gate of blcu has an artificial climbing wall which i use. walk into the university to the cross roads where the playing fields are, enter the playing fields & the wall is at the south side.

i'm not sure if they give instruction or courses but for a fee you can climb around in the afternoons onwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Can one buy rock climbing equipment (i.e. Harness and shoes) in Beijing? I'll be moving to Beijing (BLCU area) in a few weeks and would love to do so some climbing on the wall at BLCU mentioned in the response above. I have however sent almost all my belongings--including my rock climbing equipment--into storage for my time in Beijing. Has anyone found any rock climbing equipment stores in the area or should I just repurchase the gear stateside before I show up in Beijing?? Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Dennis

you can buy rock climbing equipment here, there are 3 shops actually in wudaokou itself that do trek & climbing gear & a few others in other places. however if you have big feet, then it may be better to bring your own shoes because finding shoes big enough is a problem here.

harness' should not be a problem.

• 2 months later...

Hi folks, does anyone know if there's an indoor climbing centre near BNU? I'd rather not have to resort to bouldering if I can help it, as I prefer sport climbing (top rope belay and/or leading). It would be great if the place furnishes ropes and has runners for rent too ...

Also, since I'll be new in Beijing ... anyone know or is part of any social climbing group that wouldn't mind a new arrival joining them for climbs?

Would be really grateful for any information and many thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Yanne - any luck on finding a social climbing group? Tomorrow morning I'll be moving to Beijing from Boulder, Colorado. My climbing gear is already on the way, and I'd be pretty unhappy if I'm not able to put it to use. I found one Beijing climbing guide from the late 90's, but would appreciate any info that is more up-to-date.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the Boulder Bar is open any longer, but I can defintely be wrong on this. I can however point you in 2 direction to climb a wall:

1. Ritan Gongyuan: small park located in the heart of the embassy district. You will find a decent outdoor wall there on the northwest side of the park where you can rent gear. Not sure about classes/instruction, but you can ask.

2. University directly to the south of BLCU (Beijing Language and Culture University). Sorry I forgot it's name, but all you need to do is find the south gate of BLCU (Nanmen kou) and watch across the street into the OTHER university. There they have a wall you can climb.

3. There is also a small wall in Beida (Beijing Daxue)... but i've never seen anyone there to give people access.

I'm going to try and find Boulder Bar this weekend... if I'm lucky... I'll post again. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I've been living in Beijing for about 3 weeks or so, i've tried to go bouldering to 4 places which happened to be closed, I name them for other people to help them not wasting time as I did :(

1 · Ao ti zhong xin: This is a stadium in which there is a huge full-equiped boulder, but it's closed in winter because it's outdoors, so wait for better weather to come :P

2 · Xidan: This is an underground shopping mall in which there used to be a boulder, but it's closed nowadays.

3 · Yan sha jinyuan dian: A huge shopping mall, there is a tiny boulder which opens from 13:00 to 21:00, but it's not worth going, since it's really small and easy.

4 · Anzhenqiao boulder bar: The boulder bar is closed since some years ago, there is (supposedly) another boulder bar in Bai zi wan lu.

Tomorrow we're gonna try to go to Ditan Park, which is really close to where I am living right now (Jiaodaokou), and if it's closed and we have time enough we'll also try Ritan and the other boulder bar in Bai zi wan lu... I hope we'll be lucky!!

Does anybody know if the university boulder is open in wintertime? We'll go there if we fail climbing in these three places... :)

Cya!

Extreme Experience at Bai'zi'wan'lu is open in winter as it's an indoor bouldering bar. Y20 before 6pm, Y30 after 6pm. Free after 6.30pm on Thursdays.

As for the wall at the University of Geology? Geo-Sciences? opposite BLCU, as far as I've heard the climbing club doesnt use it when it gets too cold. You need to purchase a membership card of sorts to climb there, Y200 for 10 visits. It's open as long as the club members are there ... doesn't really answer your question, does it? Call them: 82318655.

Hi! Thanks a lot!! I went yesterday to extreme experience and it was just GREAT!

Is somebody going there next thursday? Yesterday it was alright but you know... i couldn't comunicate much with people because my chinese is only enough for not dying on hunger... so i'd like to go with somebody else :)

If I found somebody I'd go every thursday at about 19:00 or so, since i get out of my job at 18:00 and i have an hour to get there.

Also, does anybody know where to buy cheap equipment? At exbear, upstairs the boulder bar, it's as expensive as in europe, and i'd like to get some magnesium, a bag, a harness, ropes... since i didn't take any magnesium for if in the airport they thought i was dealing with drugs or something hehe

Thx and cya!

• 1 month later...

Nabax, and anyone else for that matter, do you want to set-up a group climbing night at Extreme Climbing? I've climbed before but still consider myself a beginner. Anyone want to go tomorrow night (Thurs, Feb.22nd)?

I'd love to eventually get out to some of the outdoor climbing spots, and possibly maybe even do some overnight climb/hikes. I found directions to these online:

Baihe (White River), Beijing

A well-developed outdoor cliff with several routes near Beijing.

Bus: start by bus from Dongzhimen Station to Miyun County and then rent a private Mini-bus (price: around 30-40 yuan) to Da Shi Tou (Big Stone).

Baiwangshan, Beijing

This 15-meter rock locates in Dongbeiwang Village, Haidian District, Beijing. 3 kilometers north to the Summer Palace.

Bus: take No.330 at the Summer Palace and get off at Heishanhu Beikou Stop.

Yunmengxia Canyon, Beijing

A 1000-meter walk west from Shuipuzi Village, Shicheng Xiang, Miyun County, Beijing

Bus: take a coach from Dongzhimen to Miyun (67km), then change to a bus for Miyun Reservoir and get off at Shuipuzi Village.

Train: get on at Xizhimen Station and get off at Shitanglu Station.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

I haven't been in Beijing these months, just came back now for a month and a half, if somebody still wants to go climbing, i'll go tomorrow to Ao Ti Zhong Xin to check it out, i guess it'll be opened now since it's pretty damn hot enough.

I know it's a bit precipitated, but anyway i'll keep on going there and to extreme experience, or other places if sbdy knows more! Just tell me!

• 2 weeks later...