Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2014

haoyu

I would just like to ask something. Do you know where could I see the information about the courses that my school offers? I would be on a one-year Chinese language program. Could I take regular undergraduate classes as well? I would like to have classes on Chinese linguistics or so.

Searching my university's website in Chinese led me here: http://teach.dlut.edu.cn/onews.asp?id=1829 http://teach.dlut.edu.cn/ONEWS.asp?id=4250课程清单_外国语学院.xls

I also attached an excel file containing the courses offered by the foreign language institute(?). Am I on the right path? :D

I hope I could also find the courses available for Chinese language students (the courses I would take on my program) to have an idea what life I would face in China hahaha.

jobm - You might be able to sit in during the classes (depends on whether or not the teacher of the class allows you to). But they will not allow you to take it up as a course, sit for the exams and then use the credits. I always believe that there is no harm in asking the university to let you do it, but normally they will not allow you to.

When you are enrolled as a 1-year language student, you will not be considered enrolled in a degree program. So your name will not be in the 'system'. The department responsible for your is the international culture exchange or international student office department. Only after your language prep course will your name be input into the department that you are supposed to be enrolled in, be it a Bachelors degree, Masters, etc.

If you want to do the courses, you might have to pay extra for it (or pay extra for a degree year to be put into the system) and then they will allow you take up a few courses.

uhm.. I think I would just rather sit in the classes I want if they would not allow me enroll in those classes.

I also asked my laoshi if I could sit in some classes. He said, it is okay because the teachers do not check the attendance that much. On top of that, I could even sit in some classes in other universities! Is that true? Has anyone of you experienced that? :D I would really just like to take this chance to study everything I could in China because by the time I go back here in my country, I would be back to the "real world".

Jobm - It depends on how large the class is. I had classes with only 20 students at a time. So in that case, you can ask permission to sit in class. Most teachers will not mind but there will always be the few that do mind. So just ask permission especially if the class is really small in size. But obviously, if the class is a large one with hundreds of students then nobody would know if you signed up for it or not.

Are you just going to do a Chinese language year and then head back, or will you stay on to do a Chinese-medium degree?

shroq - Cool! :D

My school has asked me to be there in time for registration on late August. However, I will be there early September so I guess I will miss the official registration date. I can imagine how excited everyone is...! Take care, & may everyone have a safe journey and an awesome experience! :)

Hi guys!

Just wanted to ask is there anyone heading for Beijing on the 27th of August? I'm flying from Frankfurt on the 27th and will arrive early in the morning on the 28th in Beijing. The Transfer Service already confirmed picking me up, but I was wondering if there's anyone arriving at around the same time?

• New Members

Hi,

For those who got accepted, I didn't get any reply tell now ffrom the teaching office related to the chinese embassy in my country and when I log into the online application Student Login I still get this message "The application form is currently checking."

When you got accpeted do you still see this message in your csc account??

For who havent known about this. I dont know where should I post this.

Shanghai Government Scholarships(China) for International Students:
The Application for SGS(2015) will start from September 1st.

The scholarship is divided into three categories: Class A, Class B and Class C. 
- Class A (Full Scholarship) offers funds to prospective students applying for graduate programs in Shanghai. It includes tuition, living expenses 1700rbm for MS 2000rbm for PhD and Comprehensive Medical Insurance for International Students in China . 
- Class B (Partial Scholarship) funds prospective students applying to pursue a bachelor’s degree or higher in Shanghai. The scholarship covers tuition. 
- Class C (Excellent Student Award) aims to offer support to excellent international students currently pursuing studies at institutions of higher education in Shanghai. Recipients receive a one-off payment during the academic year.

Documents Needs:
1) Acceptance Letter from Professor (University under Shanghai Government Scholarships) this is optional but it will increase your chances
2) Two copies of the Class A scholarship application form in either Chinese or English;
3) Notarized certification of the highest educational level achieved.
4) Academic record of the highest educational level. Non-Chinese or non-English ones should be attached with notarized version in Chinese or English;
5) A study and/or research proposal for study in China (no less than 1,000 words) in Chinese or English;
6) Two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors;
7) Applicants for majors in music or fine art should provide a portfolio of their works
7) Eglish Proficiency Certificate+Motication Letter+Statment of Purpose these are optional.

Link: http://www.study-shanghai.org/Scholarship_en.asp
Link  for applying Online: 
http://www.study-shanghai.org/controller.asp?action=SignUp_3_en

• Like 1

I don't know if I should be worried. But I'm not receiving any reply from the school regarding the dormitory or even registration. It says in the admission notice that I should register within the period of September 3-4, 2014. I will be arriving on September 2. 

Would anyone know if the dormitory will be available on the day or registration or will we have to find temporary accommodations before school starts? My scholarship covers accommodations but I tried to ask the school if this is available on the day of registration (or possibly before September 3, assuming I register on the 2nd) and haven't received a reply. 

@Tanhaste,

Don't worry, if you arrive during working hours, you will find people from International office who will be on hand to welcome you and take you to your dormitory. In any case, as an international student, you will be staying in dormitories exclusively meant for international students (no Chinese). All the dormitories are manned by Night Support Assistants who are Chinese. If you arrive at night, these night support assistants will take you to your room provided you avail them your admission notice. Even during vacation, there are many international students who live in those dormitories i.e those who're proceeding to 2nd, 3rd or 4th year, who opt not to go on vacation. So, worry not!!

Iraq - you have to ask your university for permission if you will be late for registrations and also permission from the teachers in your modules if you will be missing their classes. If not, you run the risk of losing the scholarship due to late registration. Your teachers may also not accept you into their classes if you miss too many classes this semester.

I also have to do so much stuff and would actually want to return some time around early November, but I have to go next week so that I can register and then ask for permission to take a leave. Perhaps it will be easier face-to-face? LOL, best of luck to both of us I guess. Hope the teachers will understand our situations.