Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2014

haoyu

@jonibol : You're going to USTB (University of Science and Technology Beijing)? :) Same here! :)

I was under the impression that transfer service won't be applicable to us though, since we're just going to be in Beijing (I think USTB is near BLCU but I could be mistaken --> only looking at the map). I think they meant those who may be studying in other cities (e.g. Dalian, Harbin, etc.) but not sure. That was also my question at first :)

Hello everybody,

I am new undergraduate Chinese Government Scholarship Recipient. Since, that it's an undergraduate program(taught in Chinese), I am required to take a year of preparatory Chinese Study in Shandong University starting this September.

I'd like to know if there is anybody here who's also going to Shandong Uni, or have previously attended studies there. Will you be landing in Beijing too? If so, have you arranged for the Transfer Service in BLCU? How about the registration process? Have you contacted Shandong Uni prior to your arrival?

I admit I am an anxious one, it's actually going to be my first time to step in mainland China so I kinda wanted to make sure things will at least flow out a lil smoothly(well, I know flaws and bad scenarios are inevitable. lol).

Anyhow, answers, thoughts, and related stories are very much welcomed and absolutely appreciated.  :)

@Dear Shuoshuo: 

​As i had applied last year (my first attempt fo CGS now... 

1. i want to apply directly through university because our country's Chinese embassy does not accept applications for CGS, so will it be better to apply for maximum numbers of the university or i should apply only at the 3 universities?

2. would it be matter to apply with the same last year's research plan or i will have to send a new one?

3. can is send the same research plan to different universities after having the acceptances of the each university? 

Regards.

adn223 -

1. It doesn't matter how many universities you apply to, you can even apply to just one university. The most important thing is to obtain a pre-admissions notice from the university that you want. I really hope you understand that part. There is a misconception, which I noticed this year a handful of people here assumed that just because the university replied with a positive email, they thought that this means they already won the scholarship. Note: obtaining the pre-admissions notice (stamped by the university) is only one part of the application process. Secondly, get as many recommendation letters from the same university's professors. If you can only obtain one recommendation, that is okay. One is better than none.

2. A study plan does not carry as much weight as you think. It is just to let the panel understand you better and just get an idea of the type of person you are. They possibly want to know if you are motivated and you have a good character. But in terms of winning the scholarship, it carries very little weight. Recommendation letters from high authority carries a lot of weight. If you have just one recommendation letter from e.g. your Chinese embassy, this is enough to get the scholarship even if you have no other document. This is how it works. If you can get a recommendation letter from your embassy, or better yet, if you can get an award letter from your embassy (or an existing consulate of your country in China) then use that.

3. You only need to compose one study plan. You can send that one plan to all the universities you apply to. It is important for you to prioritize on one main university that you want. If you place a very good university as your 3rd choice, you will most likely not be accepted. So make sure you get a pre-admissions letter from the university that you really want, and also place this university as your first choice.

• Like 2

tanhaste, 

Congrats with getting scholarship. :)  yes I'm admitted by USTB, There are two other forum members who will also study in USTB: Tuchman and Anschrei, Also one student from my country.

Maybe you are right, as I remember, both are in the same Haidan district, but anyway I emailed them with this question, lets see. :)

Shuoshuo - I would greatly appreciate if you could answer this question for me. I have applied for and received my Student X1 visa. I understand that I have to register at the PSB within 30 days of arriving in China. However, I'm not going directly to the city where I am studying as I am going to see a friend in another part of China. I understand that when you stay at a hotel, they register you with the local police. However, because I'm staying at my friend's house, will I need to go to the local PSB (in the city where my friend lives, not where my university is) within 24 hours to register? Or is this only the case with a Tourist Visa? I hope my question makes sense.

NJL - No you don't have to that. The hotel will look at your passport and check to see if you are in China legally, which in this case you will be. That's it. As long as you sort out your documents within the 30 days in the city that your university it located at, you should be fine. Although it might be best to let your university know that you are in China and traveling for a bit, because they are responsible for you while you are there.

Hi All, 

I forgot to ask this just in case. I'm not good with the Mandarin language (I grew up speaking Fookien) so I'm a bit worried about the registration for the residence permit. Will the school assist us with this? I heard that in the subway/train stations, the people selling tickets can barely speak English and I am worried that it may be the same for the other offices. 

Also, would anyone know if they offer basic Chinese classes even though we are taking up studies in English (at least basic Chinese to get around). 

Shuoshuo, if you don't mind me asking, what type of Visa were you on before when you had a similar problem as mine?

My current school keeps telling me it should be no problem and i should be able to convert my Visa once I go to Beijing for registration (because my Visa wont expire until about the 17th, which would give it enough time). But I don't feel comfortable waiting until then in case they revoke my scholarship from not having the adequate visa.

Tanhaste - Yup, many universities offer Chinese classes (which may or may not be optional) for students who are doing English medium courses. So this part you will have to ask your university. The universities organize morning preparatory Chinese classes for those who will be doing their majors in Chinese. So if your university does not offer them, you can ask to join these morning classes (although you will probably missing quite a bit because of the clashes in your timetable.

If you need to buy tickets at the train or subway station and you fear that they will not be able to understand you, print out your address (with the city on it) in Chinese. Show this to the person selling train tickets and they will know where you want to go. I don't know about the subways in smaller cities but for the subways in major cities, you can buy the tickets at ticket machines (English is an option) and that will spare you from actually communicating with anyone. But if you can read pinyin and you know which city you need to go then that should not be a problem. There are signs everywhere.

• Like 1

grawrt - If I remember correctly, I was on an F visa (a few years ago before the major changes, an F visa was given to students who were in China for 6 months or less). So the F visa gave me 180 days to stay in China. When I decided to stay longer, they told me that it was impossible for me to extend the F visa and it needed to be changed to a residence permit or I would have to exit the country and then return (the so-called 'visa-run').

Your school is right, you will have until the 17th (as long as the immigration bureau has your documents by the 17th, it doesn't have to be 1 week earlier). So if you can ensure that all your residence permit documents will be submitted by then, you shouldn't have an issue. Some schools will do this for you, in my case my school will take the documents some time around Sept. 6th. So if your school will do the same thing, just make sure you have all your documents ready for submission by the date they have set.

@Shuosho

Thanks for the response! :) It helps! :) Now I have to try contacting the university. Haven't received a reply yet so I'm wondering if it's because of my email address (gmail --> which is blocked in China, I hear?)

All the same, thanks for the advice! 

adn223 - Are your recommendations (not acceptances?) from university professors employed in the university that you want to be enrolled to in China? Or are they recommendations from your current university in your country?

tanhaste - The teachers are still on holiday as far as I know. Even if they weren't, they would probably reply to your email whenever it suits them. The best thing to do is to try to call (Chinese and their habit of not replying to emails and text messages...we will never understand).

Ladyferoz - How's it going? Are you still waiting? I have not heard anything from my MOE as of yet. I almost cannot believe how inefficient they are. I have not bothered contacting them either (they do not have my number, but they have my email address). Received an email from the Chinese embassy this morning. They asked me if I have received my admissions document (which means they have already sent it to MOE who should then forward the docs to me). I have not responded. I'm already slightly frustrated with the whole lot of them. Perhaps I've absorbed the Chinese habit of not replying to emails. :mrgreen:

@shuoshuo  Hahahaha, I think it is fair that you follow their suit. I have heard nothing yet and I stopped calling when they insisted (irritated) that they will contact everyone whether they are successful or not. I have tried not thinking about it anymore, and I understand, it is frustrating. I want to know whether I should continue with my life or prepare to move to a whole new life! I feel anxious, but I can't do anything. I did not expect it to be halfway August and not know anything! It is crazy :)