Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Congrats on your 100 post Extrapages and great job with this support group! I wish it was here when I was looking into these scholarships a few years ago.

roddy, youre the best!

maybe i heart chinese-forums so much because you're here =]

me too!:mrgreen:

extrapages, thanks! i also saw barb_punk's post on the first page of this thread.. i even attempted to PM him/her too bad that (private messaging) feature is not yet available for a newbie like me. also, congratulations on your 100th post! :lol:

roddy, like what extrapages said, you're the best! now, i'll just have to install chinese language in my pc to be able to read those! hehehe.

btw, extrapages, that "Ultra Top Secret, Absolutely Brilliant, Effing Kick Ass CSC Contact List" of yours is a truly clever idea! it would sure help a lot of aspiring scholars. :mrgreen:

I have another question about the Foreign Medical Form...

On the top right hand side of the 1st page, it says "Photo (Stamped official stamp)"

What exactly does this mean? Can I just attached a regular passport photo? Do they need a medical photo (ie. entire naked body)?

And what is this "official stamp"? Should I ask my doctor to stamp my photo?

:help

Thanks!

Thanks for all the praise, but it wasn't actually that hard to find.

Tempted as I am to tell you that it needs to be a full length naked photo (oh, their faces in the CSC office that day . . . ) I suspect a normal passport type photo will do. Stamping it means that when they use their name / address stamp on it, also stamp over a corner of the photo - hence proving that the photo on the form when they get it was the same one on the form when the examination took place.

Tempted as I am to tell you that it needs to be a full length naked photo (oh, their faces in the CSC office that day . . . )

aaaahahahaahahahaha!

---

yes, and make sure that, as roddy mentioned, the stamp covers a corner of the picture to prove that it is a picture of you verified by the doctor.

So, I've gotten some new scholarship information from Chrissy88.

She and I have gotten pretty close over email and she recently told me that she found out that municipal governments within China have their OWN scholarships. Here's a portion of what she sent me:

Yeah I did a little poking around...and I kept seeing Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship and Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship. And, I just assumed something was getting lost in translation--surely those were encompassed in the Chinese Government Scholarship. Nope. The municipal governments have their own budgets and separately allocated funding specifically for their respective universities. But, at the same time, if you get both, you can't actually use them both. duh.

I don't know anything about this - and probably don't have the time to start researching another scholarship (one that I don't need to even apply to because I'm already covered by the CSC until next year). Maybe I'll look into it when my scholarship is up, but I encourage others who are still looking for scholarship funding to look into this and share whatever they find. This is also a call for anyone who might already know something, anything about them. When we have enough information, we can start a new thread. =]

so, i was finally able to talk to a representative from the embassy who knows about the scholarship program. i was told that the applications ended on march and that very few were given out scholarships. when i asked if they will still be offering it next year, she said yes and then "but only very few"

oh well.. guess i'll just have to try my luck next year.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that are interested, I'm probably going to be applying for the New Zealand CSC, which seems to have a significantly later deadline than the US or EU.

Information about it can be found here: http://www.confuciusinstitute.ac.nz/, more specifically at the page http://www.confuciusinstitute.ac.nz/our-programmes-education.html.

Last year, the dates were

Closing date for applications 5pm, 6th July 2007.

Successful applicants notified by 20 August 2007.

Commencement of study in China, February/March 2008.

And I assume it will be similar this year. I'm quite surprised they're so late, actually, but there we go. My University, Victoria University of Wellington, knows about them, despite the fact that they're administered by the University of Auckland. The application form also seems slightly different to whats been described - there's no mention of a health check, for example.

I hope that's some help for any Kiwis on this board who are thinking of applying.

EDIT: A bit more information can be found here: http://www.asianz.org.nz/chinascholars. Anyone want to make suggestions as to why it's so much easier to find stuff about it in New Zealand?

EDIT: Notarizing stuff in New Zealand is free, provided you have the copies you want signed. Easiest way is to go to a Justice of the Peace, show the original + copy, and they'll stamp and sign the copy. No charge for this, though I suppose there might be if you try and abuse it.

ipsi(),

thanks so much!

its all done so well because the confucius institutes definitely have their shit together... and thats probably because theyve got lots of money to work with. everythings easier when you have competent parties doing what theyre supposed to do.

i think we should all move to new zealand.

---

jamoldo,

you left me without saying bye! =[ so youre in hong kong now?

zayd is leaving soon, too. as is my manfriend - back to norway in july.

i hate this place. everyone leaves you.

Agreed. New Zealand is a wonderful place :D.

Couple of questions: Does anyone know if the list at http://csc.edu.cn:8080/en/readarticle/readarticle.asp?articleid=405 are the only institutions that will take CSC scholarship students, or will any University that can accept foreign students do? The difference is that that list has 1 University in Qingdao, while there are several others not on the list. It'd be nice to have several options in the same city...

How annoying. Oh well. Thanks for the information. Now to look up information on the University I'd prefer. And to wait for details of the scholarship to emerge. It also seems like there'd be a lot more people applying in New Zealand, so I figure my chances of getting a scholarship are pretty minimal. Worth trying for anyway though.

I finally received an email from somebody at the Chinese Embassy in Singapore letting me know that they have received my scholarship application. They are going to forward it to China at the end of May, so I'm assuming that the scholarship deadline for Singapore is May rather than April. If any Singaporean would like this information, they can PM me, and I'll be happy to share this contact info with them.

^^ Anyway, I'm quite excited that my scholarship application did go through, and that it did not get lost in the post!

um.

so after all that stressing, I didn't even apply to the CSC scholarship program due to senior thesis stress, and will be crying into a paper bag come July, when ya'll get your notifications.

I just needed to bear my shame to the world to make it more bearable. Good luck though (sh)

Just wanted to post another thank you for all the incredibly great info in this thread. I don't know how I would have applied without it. Sent my app off a couple of weeks ago, overnight FedEx. Fingers crossed until July!

Hey everybody!

Like most of you probably are, I'm a scholarship candidate and I've got some questions.

Well, first of all- I've filled and handed the forms to the Chinese consulate and to the best of my knowledge I've got it but:help:

1. I really don't understand who's the one responsible for admitting me to the university I chose (or they've chosen for me). What are the chances of getting what I asked for (Fudan/Zhejiang/Chengdu)

2. If and when I get the scholarship, as I understand, I get free dorms. Can anyone say what kind of dorms (I mean- is it the cheapest kind possible? Can it be upgraded for a little extra?) (let's say I get what I asked for and have been accepted to Fudan....)

3. Money issues- as a scholarship receiving student- can I work in anything except for teaching English? How much will I get from the Chinese, and when? Is it enough to cover anything?

4. Anyone else chose Fudan/Zhejiang/Chengdu? See ya there (hopefully)

To anyone who replies- Thanks!

good luck doki doki!!!

---

Yi_Se_Lie_Ren (Israelian?),

please, please, please read the intro page.

also, id appreciate it if you answered the questions i ask newcomers to this thread:

For first timers, start by telling us your story and answering these questions: Where are you applying from? Are you currently in China? What did your local state embassy say? Where and how did you get your papers notarized? Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Where did you get your physical exam done? Anything about the process you thought might be good for others to know about? Any hiccups you had to work through?

are you applying from Israel? do you have a contact person for the csc at the chinese embassy there? does it cover airfare if you are an israeli citizen?

as for your questions:

1. I really don't understand who's the one responsible for admitting me to the university I chose (or they've chosen for me). What are the chances of getting what I asked for (Fudan/Zhejiang/Chengdu)

if you get the scholarship, you get into one of the three schools... probably your top choice. the csc is responsible for admitting you to the university. i think the question should be rephrased as: What are the chances of getting the scholarship? (the focus is on the scholarship, not really the school. the school is pretty automatic.) But we dont really know anything else.

as stated on the intro page, we dont really know much of the inner workings and the chances of getting the scholarship, whether its one or two years, full or partial, or even what goes on with how they manage the schools and applicants' choices.

2. If and when I get the scholarship, as I understand, I get free dorms. Can anyone say what kind of dorms (I mean- is it the cheapest kind possible? Can it be upgraded for a little extra?) (let's say I get what I asked for and have been accepted to Fudan....)

this is answered in the intro page. it is the cheapest options for FOREIGNERS. from what i remember four years ago, fudan's international dorms are not bad. there's only the option of double or single, and you'll just get the double. (my knowledge on this is outdated, and this isnt the forum to discuss fudan's options anyway) the upgrade is different for every school, but you should be able to switch up as long as you pay the difference.

3. Money issues- as a scholarship receiving student- can I work in anything except for teaching English? How much will I get from the Chinese, and when? Is it enough to cover anything?

this is on the intro page. you can work however you want, for whatever jobs you get.

4. Anyone else chose Fudan/Zhejiang/Chengdu? See ya there (hopefully)

good luck! dont know anyone else who applied outside of beijing, actually. but i hope you get the scholarship!