Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

Well, first of all, thanks for your answers. Sorry for forgetting all the background story-

I'm a B.A student in the East Asian Department in Tel Aviv University, Israel.

This is my last year of school, and so I applied for the CSC through my school. Usually, there are 4 scholarships that are annually given by the CSC to the top students of the Chinese language class. This year I was lucky enough (or talented enough, whatever) to get the scholarship through an extra quota the university was given (raising the number of scholarship receiving students to 8).

So we've all met the Chinese consulate's education representative and he gave us some information such as:

1. We will get dorms for free (but he didn't say what kind of dorms)

2. We will get a monthly payment (but he didn't say how much, just that it's very little)

3. We may write BLCU or Fudan, but in most cases people don't get into the quota or admitted too late, so there's no guarantee for studying in Beijing or Shanghai

4. The answers about where we study will be given to us only by mid-July, there was no information he could tell us about admission.

5. The scholarship covers: books, dorms, admission, medical health care. It does not cover: Flight (ouch, there go 1,200$, luckily the dollar is on a low :mrgreen:)

6. Other than that, he told us how to fill the forms.

I've filled up everything and handed it all to the consulate, I've had to go to the HIV clinic to do the HIV test and pay a small donation to them, but other than that, no problems.

about the contact in China- I've filled the address and phone numbers of the Israeli embassy in China, that's what I've been told by the Chinese consulate to fill, I guess everyone can do that too.

After having it all finished, I guess all there is to do is to cross fingers that all will go smoothly and I will get in one of the places I asked for.

One thing, however, still remains unsolved- What are the dates? What is the academic schedule in China? I know it's from September to July, but can you tell me the exact dates of the semesters?

Thanks a bunch, you've helped a lot and I hope next year I can help other people who will probably have the same questions as I've had.

One thing, however, still remains unsolved- What are the dates? What is the academic schedule in China? I know it's from September to July, but can you tell me the exact dates of the semesters?

the dates are different for every school. but its generally from september to june.

as for everything else, you can just read the very first post for how things are usually done with other CSC awards.

jamoldo,

i will... however it takes... even if i have to move to new zealand (where everything seems easier)! :lol:

ipsi() and yueni, how very fortunate of you! i still wish we had a later deadline here in the philippines as you have.

good luck doki doki! :D

extrapages-

thanks for all the info! I never thought I'll find it all in one place and written so clearly.

If you know something about the exact date school starts in Fudan, please tell me because Fudan's website doesn't say anything. Chinese internet is (still) an unexplored territory for me....

Hi all,

After a quick browse through the forum, I did not find what I was looking for... maybe I missed it or maybe it's not here and someone could help me out...

I want to confirm that the MOE received my application, or at least that it reached Washington DC on it's way. Does anyone have a contact at the CSC in Beijing or at the DC Embassy whom I could reach on this?

Also, I found the contact page on the China Embassy's education site but all the phone numbers I tried went straight to voicemail. The website I used was http://www.sino-education.org/english/contactus.htm.

This is yet another example of my super anal-retentiveness but I feel the need to confirm that they have my app and I'm hesitant to bother the nice woman at the SF consulate anymore :D Thanks in advance for any help!

zmblum,

i dont know if the csc people will get back to you...

but ill send you the contact of the dude in charge in dc.

and he'll probably be able to confirm. though im not sure.

tell me how it goes!

I emailed Extrapages contact in DC. He was nice in his response but not helpful at all. He told me to call the San Francisco consulate even I am trying to confirm from an outside source that they did what they were supposed to (send my app to the MOE in Beijing). O well... I'll try to email the MOE and see what they can tell me.

Thanks for the contact info Extrapages.

Hi i got the csc scholarship to study in china. i have a quick question how long dose it take to receive the package with the letter from the host college? i deliver the forms with recommendation letter from my professor at my university plus transcript also medical paper.

thanks

jmchen3@hotmail,

please read the first post and give us your story so we can learn more about the scholarship. your experiences will be especially useful as you are one of the few that know that you received the award.

as for when you receive the letter from the host college, the date is different for each applicant because the deadlines for each country and each host college vary.... however, i dont know how you know you got the scholarship but still not have papers from the school because the scholarship package from the CSC includes all the documents from your host school.

if you applied separately to the school of your choice, then it has nothing to do with the CSC scholarship and its dates. for that, you need to contact your host college and deal with them directly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm from the Philippines, and currently in the Phil. I wasn't able to reach the application date so I'm stuck here and waiting for another year. I'm just so glad I found this forum!

I'm planning to study acupuncture in Guangzhou University and I'm wondering if someone is planning to study the same course as I, or maybe someone here is already a Guangzhou student under the CSC scholarship.

I wanted to know how tough things would be. Like would it all be study study study? Or can we have some time to get into some part time jobs?

Oh, did anyone here ad a remedial Chinese lessons? I don't know Chinese, but I am so willing to learn though. But Guangzhou Uni has English-taught courses, there would be no need for a remedial right?

kisha:

wow i'm so fortunate! Are you living somewhere near the Chinese Embassy in Makati? I live far from it so I kinda have some difficulty gathering infos. Where do you plan to study Chinese, what university? I kinda figured I'd learn the language somehow if I'll study and earn a degree there. Do they accept all applicants? I figured it would be disappointing to wait for another year if I won't be accepted... :mrgreen:

For the Application Form

> Educational Background: Should I list all? Like kindergarten,elementary,high school and college institutions? What should I write down under the field of study?And for the certificates, what does it mean, the diploma I obtained?

>Language Proficiency: Do I categorize using my own judgment regarding my English proficiency or do I have to show some proficiency exam results. Well, I don't have any...

>Duration of Major study : I don't quite understand, is it the length of the course I'm planning to take?

>Would it be a disadvantage if I'd indicate that my mom is dead, and that I dont have a dad? Cuz, i dunno, maybe they won't accept me if they know that no one is held responsible for me if I'll be studying there...

:help

weirdo:

yes i do live near the embassy but honestly i have not been there yet. i only inquired over the phone. but i do plan to go there maybe late this year or early next year so as not to be late again! :lol: if you want to get the contact person and number just PM me. :)

with regards to your questions, i don't think i'm the best person to ask. i think those who have applied and have been accepted are the ones who can answer best. i also do not have any idea on those as of yet. :oops:

kisha: thanks. :) will pm you maybe late this year.

Other members: Pls help...

For the Application Form

> Educational Background: Should I list all? Like kindergarten,elementary,high school and college institutions? What should I write down under the field of study?And for the certificates, what does it mean, like, the diploma I obtained?

>Language Proficiency: Do I categorize using my own judgment regarding my English proficiency or do I have to show some proficiency exam results. Well, I don't have any...

>Duration of Major study : I don't quite understand, is it the length of the course I'm planning to take?

ther members: Pls help...

For the Application Form

> Educational Background: Should I list all? Like kindergarten,elementary,high school and college institutions? What should I write down under the field of study?And for the certificates, what does it mean, like, the diploma I obtained?

Educational Background: I think that listing where you went to kindergarten, elementary and middle school is unnecessary. In fact, it might even be inappropriate considering you would never go that far back in a job resume. The highest level of education I attained was a BA, so I just listed my University information and another school I did a summer study abroad at. I guess if you don't have a university degree you should list where you went to high school. Actually, I don't really remember if I listed both HS or Uni. Just read the application carefully and make sure you follow the instructions on that.

Field of Study = your major. Certificates = what degree did you end up with? B.S.? B.A.? M.A.? PhD.? etc.

Language Proficiency = With regard to your Chinese ability, it's self declared unless you have HSK results to back it up in which case you should list the scores. But none of it is required considering you are eligible for the program even as complete beginner.

As for your English ability, I think it's also self-declared, no? Does it tell you to provide documentation? If not, you don't have to. I certainly didn't, although I was applying as a U.S. citizen and I don't know if there are separate rules pertaining to applicants from non-English speaking countries.

Duration of Major Study: How long do you want the scholarship for? If you're applying to the Chinese Language scholarship you've got two choices: one year or two years. Max times vary depending on the program. For example, I'm sure you can request something if you're trying to get them to back you up for your PhD in China.

I actually have a question for those who are awaiting results from this year's application process.

On the "Application Procedures" page it states that:

CSC will send the List of Enrolled Students, Admission Noticeand Visa Application Form for Study In China (JW201)to the relevant dispatching authorities by July 31, so as to have these documents forwarded to the awardees.

Here's my question. In order to avoid the "double-acceptance/double-registering" confusion I've been warned against (basically applying to the same school through both the CSC scholarship AND indenpendently) the three choices I listed on the application were different from the one univeristy I applied to independently (my top choice - I reckonwed I probably would not get the scholarship anyway, but I can dream, right?). I got my acceptance notice for this University a few weeks ago, including completed JW202 forms and instructions to apply for a visa.

I need to wait a few more weeks to get the visa application process started anyway because the term starts in mid-September and I don't want the time to start ticking on my entrance visa so early. Then again, I can't really wait until I find out from the CSC about my (likely) rejection to get this visa either. If they're saying "admissions notices" will go out to the dispatching authorities (in my case the Chinese embassy in D.C.) it'll probably be early August until I find out if I'm lucky (I'm away from the States right now).

So in the dream scenario that I do get the scholarship, what happens to the visa I've gotten through the other university? Can I get that "cancelled" easily and will the new visa request go through in time? I want to minimize the inconvenience I cause to my first school. I know this is probably unwarranted worrying/fantasizing but I was wondering if anyone had advice.

Thanks in advance. - amphivera

• 2 weeks later...

amphivera, thanks for answering weirdo's questions. =]

things have been super busy for me... i wish i could have answered yours earlier.

So in the dream scenario that I do get the scholarship, what happens to the visa I've gotten through the other university? Can I get that "cancelled" easily and will the new visa request go through in time? I want to minimize the inconvenience I cause to my first school. I know this is probably unwarranted worrying/fantasizing but I was wondering if anyone had advice.

you can still apply for the visa with the papers you got from the school, because itll get you the visa to get into the country. once you get to the school you end up going to, they can switch things up for you when you register. and from what i understand, nothing needs to be done with the first school as long as the school youll really be attending takes care of your visa. but things have gotten really crazy because of the olympics and the chinese government has been cracking down hardcore... so you might want to check with the recent changes and latest procedures by calling your chinese embassy. hope this helps. keep us posted with the scholarship results!

Update on my app:

I had a good Chinese speaking friend call the CSC about my application. She told me they told her they received it, that it did not get thrown into the immediate reject pile (not sure what does get thrown in there) and that I should hear back sometime around the first week of July. Soon!

I was glad to hear that I wasn't immediately rejected and that we get to hear back the first week of July instead of July 31st like I had thought. Anyone else (especially Americans) hear anything yet?

I didn't particularly think it would get rejected... I'm just relieved it didn't yet. Since I don't know what I'll do if I don't get this scholarship, I'm a bit anxious about the whole thing. I can't wait until the first week of July!