Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

have you ever tried reading his name like 'I, Mron'?
There are of course all sorts of permutations and combinations one could derive from my name, and if I wanted any of them, I would have chosen them instead. It's far simpler however to just read it as it is - Imron - all one word.

Random new word of the day: 级联 cascade.

are you sure it's a word?

Mira_Mio, have you ever tried reading his name like 'I, Mron'?

I confess i have. but that would be rude, wouldn't it ^^ (sh)

Now, who can create a sentence with my word of yesterday 耽美??? :)

Alright boys and girls, today, "耽美" Im sure you all are resourceful enough find out the usage and meaning by yourselves. ^^ Impress me
Now, who can create a sentence with my word of yesterday 耽美???

Welcome to the forums. I think you're our first elementary school teacher.

北极圈, běijíquān, Arctic Circle.

There are of course all sorts of permutations and combinations one could derive from my name
That's exactly what I love soooo much about your name, wholeheartedly. :)

Random new word of the day: 丰富多彩 diversified, colorful.

are you sure it's a word?

Last time I checked, yes.

I confess i have. but that would be rude, wouldn't it

How come??

Edit: Now I see your point. Owe an apology to Imron. I didn't mean it that way, really. :oops:

@ Mira_Milo. So I am either dumber than you, or purer. :mrgreen:

哈比人 - used to describe short people (of course). came across it on taiwan websites when searching info on hotels in Tokyo. people usually use it to describe themselves being short yet the hotel rooms in Japan still appear too small for them. :mrgreen:

韃虜 da2lu3 foreigners, or better: barbarians, or more specifically the kind of barbarians that invade China. (I translated barbarians rather than foreigners, thought it's more in the spirit of the term.) Featured in Zhu Yuanzhang's and later Sun Yat-sen's slogan of 驅逐韃虜,恢復中華, which can be translated as 'Expel the barbarians, revive China' or something similar.

韃 is from 韃靼 Da2da2, meaning Tartar, and in extension the Mongolians of the Yuan dynasty. I don't know where they got the 虜 from.

I don't know where they got the 虜 from.

Supposedly it is not from your name? :mrgreen: Take a look at this -> http://hk.iciba.com/search?s=%E8%99%9C

古時對北方外族或南方人對北方人的蔑稱 [non-Han nationalities living in the North and West in ancient times]

詬虜帥失信。—— 宋 · 文天祥 《指南錄後序》

奉西北之虜。—— 宋 · 蘇軾 《教戰守》

又如:虜人(胡人);虜民(胡族的人民); 虜廷(胡虜的朝廷); 虜使(胡虜的使臣)

That looks like the explanation I found. Still don't know where this 虜 comes from (I wasn't around yet in the Song, or they surely would have called them 露 instead :-) )

Random word:

中輟 zhong1chuo4 to drop out (of school)

From an article on teen mothers. First it just made me sad, but just now was translating that the average teen pregnancy rate in the past 5 years in Taiwan was 11.8 percent. 11.8! I was sure I was mistranslating, but then I found this, and it's really true. Fkkng hll, what kind of country is this I'm living in?

膏药旗 gāoyàoqí is a slangy (and I think derogatory term) for the Japanese flag, which is also known as the 红日旗。

It is thus called because gaoyao means a kind of medicated plaster or patch, so people think it looks like medicine or blood from a wound leaking through a patch or bandage.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new words I just learned recently. Really, I don't think they existed in common conversation a few years ago.

淡定

calm and determined

知性

intelligent, well educated, well behaved, sophisticated

人性化

I actually chuckled when I heard this word. I think it should be translated as "humanized", "humanization". Though in many cases it just means "thoughtful".