Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

Miri116, hellooo!

1. you should definitely apply to the one in dc for exactly that reason. however, you should also try just calling up the one in ny to see if they know whats up. if they do, theyll take care of you and be a bit more attentive to your questions because of two reasons: 1. theyre dealing with less people than the embassy in dc, and 2. you are within their "jurisdiction".

2. if you REALLY want it, you could apply for both scholarships just to be safe. i dont see the harm in that at all.

@ricardo

Getting an English job depends. If you are from Australia, England, Canada, or US and are obviously from such a country then you will often get offered teaching work. The pay varies. For a white/black US/England person in Beijing you can get upto 300 kuai/hr and hour. For a Russian who looks somewhat American and speaks good English it is closer to 150 kuai/hr. But go just an hour away to say like Tianjin and the pay is currently half. The main reason is the foreigners in some places don't know they are being taken advantage of (i.e. Tianjin) but most are realizing it and are starting to charge closer to 250. A friend just told me the teachers in Tianjin where offering her 100 kuai/hr and she is native English speaker from near Canada! Naturally she polity turned down such an obscene offer.

@crisgee

Hi longpeng,

What university did you get into? For the application, i did the exam with our family physician and did the tests with the hospital. Then I made the mistake of sending the original with my application. So when i was applying for my visa, i got another physical examl.; This time, with the an accredited clinic on the Chinese Embassy's list.

Then, when I got into BLCU and they hauled us students to that clinic where they "re-do" the physical exam, i did not pay a single cent. The other students paid, but i think they either saw i was a scholar or i had a complete medical exam already approved by the embassy.

Which university? Sorry I rather not say because the universities check these forums.

Yea I got mine done and spent close to $500! Had it stamped and everything, sent copies. When they got then they said no problem. Then I got here and its "Oh it does have this or that (want to use a string of expletives but won't) red stamp...." turns out it has to be from their selected facility.

@Miri116

1. Does it matter which embassy (in my home country) I apply to? In other words, do I need to apply to the embassy that is closest to my home address/region, or something? I am American, and I was planning to apply through the embassy in New York, but I'd rather apply to the Washington, D.C. one if they are already accustomed to dealing with CSC scholarship applications.

Yes it matters very much! Washington D.C. was better last year (even though the mail got mixed up with their move). I want to say San Francisco were just plain stupid idiots but I won't I sure they have some valid reason for failing to even attempt to send applications they received into the CSC while leaving spots vacant! But this is like trying to pick the fastest line in the supermarket checkout! Even Washington even failed to send one applicants paperwork to the CSC even though the University had already pledged to give him the scholarship!

Soooooo, finally got in touch with someone at the New Zealand embassy and was told they are not now and were never receiving applications for the language training scholarship. You may only apply through the Confucious Institute in Auckland. The problem being that they supply scholarships beginning Feb/March and I will begin in September. Also these scholarships require proven Chinese language proficiency or work in a China-related field, neither of which I have. Obviously these are not overly high standards for awarding such a scholarship, but I am just a little annoyed that the New Zealand embassy is not accepting scholarships like most of the other embassies.

Luckily I still have the option of applying directly to some of the universities I was considering, but more than half of those universities only accept scholarships applicants via the NZ confucious institute. Grrrr.

Anyway for those in NZ I would imagine you already know all this stuff (I'm in Korea so a little bit out of the loop), but if not here's the address for the general site and the info of the person to contact for any questions.

http://ci.ac.nz/programs/scholarships/nz-china-scholarship/

n.yao@auckland.ac.nz

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading these posts for several months now while debating whether to apply and make the big move. I've decided. I've read through a lot of the posts and had almost all my questions answered, but I still have some that I couldn't find answers for.

Question #1

Like extrapages was, I'm a U.S. citizen applying from Korea. I intend to send my application to the Chinese Embassy in DC. However, I noticed the application asks for a notarized copy of my degree. I was wondering, how can I get that outside the U.S.? I checked the U.S. Embassy in Seoul's website and it says that they do not notarize education documents (degrees, etc.).

Extrapages (or anyone else), did you get a notarized copy of your diploma here in Korea? Or how did you go about doing that? I emailed my university but they are currently on a two week break. But I'm also hoping I can do it here in Korea myself anyway.

Question #2

Another question (for anyone who can answer this). I'm planning on having about $7 ~ 8,000 USD saved up for this, even with the scholarship. I read the scholarship won't be enough to cover the luxuries of life that us Westerners enjoy. Therefore, my question is, do you think this amount of money could last me two years (with the scholarship)? How about if I teach English for a few hours on the side? Or would it be a better bet to just apply for one year?

Thanks in advance. I hope to hear back from you guys soon.

el_caifan

el caifan,

heyheyhey!

1. i had my actual diploma with me in korea, and i got that notarized at a public notary somewhere in seoul. you should check the archived threads about that.

2. i guess that would be enough. especially if you budget yourself and plan on teaching. i came with nothing and just built up from teaching/freelancing/etc.

1. i had my actual diploma with me in korea, and i got that notarized at a public notary somewhere in seoul. you should check the archived threads about that.

Thanks for the quick response. I checked the archived thread about this and didn't find a lot. You mentioned briefly that you got all your documents notarized at a law office. Do you remember how you found out about this law office? I guess I'll ask around, but if you can answer too, that will also help. I just wanna make sure I get everything right for my application. Thanks! You've been a lot of help.

i can't remember. maybe you can google or naver "public notary in seoul". all i remember was it was some dingy office connected to the subway - so i didnt have to come up from underground to get to it. i got everything notarized there. cant remember much else. sorry. hope it helps...?

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I have emailed to the CSC Liason of my region (Asia) to enquire about my below questions. This morning I got a reply from them - it is extremely fast!

So I wish to share these information in case anyone has the same doubts with me :wink:

My questions to them are;

1. How I could find the agency code? - the website stated that it is very important. I live in Bangkok, Thailand but will be moving to Chengdu, China in Feb 2010 for a Chinese Language program for 1 semester.

(CSC Reply):- The agency number is offered by Embassy of China in Thailand or the Embassy of Thailand in China. But you may finally be recommended as the right candidate only from one of the above two agencies.

2. I am interested in continue studying the language program at the same university I am going to, which is XXX Uni. (please let me keep it private) - do I need to get an invitation letter from them before applying a scholarship?

(CSC Reply):- You do not need to get the invitation letter from any university before application.

3. Is it possible for me to send all necessaries documents to a Chinese consulate/embassy when I am in Chengdu, China?

(CSC Reply):- If you are Thailand people, you may contact the Embassy of China in Thailand or the Embassy of Thailand in China to apply for the scholarship.

Good Luck to Everyone!! :D

Hi,

I am from Europe, I am applying this scholarship 2nd time - last year I forgot some important things to send, and that's why I was not accepted (i guess), but this year everything will work well, I know :D

So my question would be, do they send the admission documents from China or from the place where you sent your application (in my case from the EU mission in Belgium)?

Because I just read that applicants (at least in Europe) must send "an envelope with your address ready and postage paid by yourself".

It would be good to know either I should hunt for Belgian or for Chinese stamps...:D

Hello everyone! I'm a college senior in America and recently submitted my application. Since this forum has been incredibly helpful during this process, I thought I would share some information for American applicants.

1. I applied for a masters in Contemporary Chinese Lit through the scholarship. I did my health form at my school health center and they did all the testing and everything for free! Since my major is East Asian Languages, I recieved an e-mail from my school department about the scholarship. It called the scholarship "AAU/CSC Chinese Government Scholarship". The e-mail said they had 14 full scholarships available and cited the deadline as December 31st 2009. I sent my materials in and recently recieved a letter in the mail saying I would recieve notice of my application in April.

2. Here's where things get kind of confusing. The letter had an e-mail address for a contact, and I contacted her. She said that they have 14 scholarships, but if more people are qualified they may give out more scholarships. Everyone has been wondering how many scholarships are given out and such, so I checked the CSC website and read their "annual report" for 2008. It seemed they gave out thousands of scholarships. I recommend you reading the report because I think it said there were like 5000 people that applied and 4800 that recieved scholarships, although I admit I could be mistaken. It also gave a breakdown of how many people in each country recieved scholarships.

3. The thing I have been trying to figure out is, the website cites the deadline as April, but through contact with this woman and the letter I recieved, it seems the deadline has passed for America. However, it could be possible that this AAU/CSC Chinese government scholarship could be somewhat different than the regular CSC scholarship. Can anyone shed light on this? I just don't know if I should resubmit all my materials again, especially if it is true that only 14 full scholarships are to be given out.

I just wanted to share this and am wondering if anyone in America sent their materials in already to DC or if anyone knows if there is a difference in applying through AAU/CSC. Happy new year everyone and good luck!!

Hello,

I'm currently a high school student in Perth, Western Australia. In February sometime I'll be entering my final year of high school. Obviously I can't apply now [or can I?] but for next year, I have a few questions:

1) Next year I'll be 18 in June, do you think if the deadline is before then I can still apply or will I have to wait another year?

2) Will a high school report be enough, do you think?

3) Finally, scholarships are awarded for countries, yes?

Thankyou, happy new year, and good luck!

mccart28,

1. there seems to be some secret deadline for people who can start in the spring semester (as opposed to the fall) - but that's not clearly stated anywhere, so we're only going on what we've learned from specific schools and organizations.

2. the only real difference is that the different "scholarships" have different contracts with different organizations/groups - but they are ultimately run by the same CSC people. i say you should stick with this aau one only because the normal csc one's deadline is different.

---

superwarmth,

1. you dont actually need to be 18. if you get a signed letter from your guardian (or something like that - you should check the criteria page on the csc site) you can still be eligible to go even if you're not 18. but you'll be 18 by the time the decision comes out, so you shouldn't even need it.

2. i dont understand what a high school report is. they'll need your most recent transcript - and im sure your school can provide that even if you havent yet graduated

3. some are countries (australia, states, mexico, etc.) some are regions (eu, asean, etc.)

• Like 1

Quick questions:

1. Like some others here, I am currently in Korea. However, I'll be leaving at the end of February. I'd like to get my medical tests done here in Korea for financial and convenience reasons. Do you think it will matter if I submit my application with a Korean medical exam when everything else indicates I'm in the United States?

2. Page 2, Question 5e asks if I need elementary chinese study prior to the major. Since I'm applying for the Chinese Language study only, should I choose yes or no? Should I write the same dates down if I choose yes, or leave them blank?

Thanks!

extrapages,

thanks for replying so quickly,

i looked on the csc website and i found this:

"Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the legal documents of their legal guardians in China."

i know your guess is probably as good as mine, but this doesn't mean my legal guardians in china, right? like, it means my guardians here, but sent to china? urgh.

thanks once more, and we'll probably meet again next year.

Hi folks: thanks so much for the useful page.

I'm applying to the CSC for a master's this year...trying to figure out who to apply to, as seems to be the issue so many of us face. I can make a case that I live in the regions covered by both the NY and the LA consulates, both of whom I've called to no response. LA also returns all my emails as undeliverable. I haven't found an email for NY. Seems like there's some contact info for DC on this forum, so I certainly haven't exhausted my options...I'll keep trying! Currently, temporarily, located in Beijing (non-university Mandarin study, and work: I may actually have a work visa by the time I apply to CSC).

Just saying hi for now, and g/l with the progress to all fellow applicants.

Loretti

superwarmth,

yes! so im guessing its just a standard formal letter with a signature from either one of or both your parents that says that they are legal guardians/parents and they approve of you going to study in china because you're mature enough to take care of yourself, etc. etc.

sarpedon,

did you read the old posts? no one who applied from korea here was a korean citizen (including myself) - and we got our papers notarized in korea, and went to a chinese embassy approved medical examiner. i strongly recommend you to look at the old posts.

and you either check NO and leave that section blank (because its for applicants getting degrees) or you put in the same dates of study. its up to you - doesn't really matter. what's important is that you selected that you're applying as a chinese language student with zero chinese experience in section 4A.

• Like 1

RE: superwarmth question

I emailed the swedish embassy contact since I had the same question.

This is the email I sent

"The question is if I should submit such a form even if I turn 18 before my travel to China?

While submitting all the information during Januari-April I will be 17 but when going to China I will be 18, my birthday is in August."

And this is the response

"About your question on age 17 or 18, I just got reply from China Scholarship Council, you don't need to submit guardian's document since you would have reached 18 when you arrive in China in September next year."

I think that's the question you wanted your answer to.

Best of luck, Xauner

EDIT: to clarify, I meant the chinese embassy dude in Sweden, not the swedish embassy per say.

Edited by Xauner