Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

• New Members

@incahieh, I also going to XiaDa, but I still have not received the admission letter.

In appplication form you wrote, which adress your Coñfucius institute or your Home? My Confucius inst told me to write my home adress,

and now I am think it is strangely :-? ((((

Xiada answer your email?

I think Facebook group is a good idea.

Yet again...

Xiamen University is here: http://www.chinese-f...men-university/

There's other info available if you search for it, but please use that topic for ongoing discussion.

If you want to find any other university in China: http://www.chinese-f...iversity-index/

If you want to set up Facebook groups - well, it's blocked in China and it would be a real struggle to keep it going once you get here. Plus, you'd be trying to take discussion away from this site, so we wouldn't want you posting about it here.

Most of those individual threads are empty. Obviously people will post here as it is the most active thread, with the highest chance of finding other people going to their university.

I wouldn't say facebook is a "real struggle". But the facebook group is obsolete once your in China, I am guessing it is suggested for getting to know others before you get there, not keep in touch when your living together.

The moderation on this forum is absolutely dreadful. It's unwelcoming and condescending.

• Like 1

There's active discussion in some of them. Some are empty. it only takes a couple of active posters to make them really valuable - have a look at the SYSU one, where Xuefang has been doing excellent work. If you post about specific universities in here the info is very quickly going to get lost and nobody will be able to find it next year. Those posts are also going to complicate things for scholarship students next year trying to find application information.

Sorry you don't like the moderation - it tends to get done between breakfast and work. For what it's worth, I am repeating myself

http://www.chinese-f...post__p__283191

http://www.chinese-f...post__p__306719

http://www.chinese-f...post__p__308759

(and, edit, I notice you've only ever posted in this topic. The scholarship discussions are a TINY part of what we do here on this site)

If you find the topic for your university is empty, make a post introducing yourself - who are you, where are you from, what are you going to be studying, etc, and see who turns up. And in a few months, when you've enrolled, found accommodation, paid fees, made friends, etc, please come back and post about it - that kind of information is incredibly valuable for future students.

• Like 2

@Maline - I wrote my home address on the application form. XiaDa has not answered my email yet, although they clearly stated on the automatic reply that it takes them three days to do so. When I asked my Confucius Institute a few weeks back about the admission letter, they said that it was going to be posted to my home address, but here they are a few weeks later sending me a notice that the admission package was sent to them instead. If mine already arrived, yours is probably not that far behind. Where are you based anyway? I am just in the Philippines, not that far from the mainland. If you are somewhere in Europe, the mail might take more time.

@roddy - Sorry for the hassle. Will make sure to check out those threads. I'm usually the type who writes novel-length replies on forums. I'll make sure that XiaDa thread is active and full once I get there, HAHA. Thanks for the links, really helpful.

@Bjnsharp - Ah, yes. The great firewall. I almost forgot about that because I don't have that problem. My VPN is really dependable. :D

• Like 1

@shuoshuo

My registration is from 8/30-9/3 and class begins at 9/5. Should I book my ticket a week before registration date? I did contact them about when the specific date to move in to our dorms but they can't specify.

@amvtop10 - To be on the safe side, be there by the 23rd (Friday) or 26th of August (which is on a Monday). That way, you get some time to relax a bit, get accustomed to the campus and then you'll register on time. Also, if you arrive during working hours, the teachers will be at the international exchange office and you can get them to answer any questions you may have or even help you sort out anything that needs to be sorted (including accommodation). If you arrive on a weekend, or at a time when the teachers aren't in, if they haven't sorted out your accommodation then you will be temporarily placed in a room. That might be quite inconvenient, having to move from one room to another - all the unpacking and re-packing.

Someone just told me that schools should arrange airport pick-up for scholarship students. I don't know about that one...I don't know if I should even ask my school to sort mine out. I know I can get to the university on my own, but it's another thing getting them to cover the costs. ;-)

No documents here. :( They told me to expect it some time this week so I'm trying to be patient. But it's not easy! :D I will wait until Friday (the 2-week mark is Thursday). If I receive nothing, I will have to contact them. The address on my application form is actually my postal box, so I hope that's not a problem. It seems that my university has sent out the admissions package by regular mail.

No, my university sent everyone on the CI an email at the beginning of this month, informing us that we should receive the documents this week. I just found out from one of the students that she received hers a few days ago (she lives closer to China). So I hope I will receive mine soon.

Nevertheless, I will apply for my visa next month (I think it takes just a few days to process in my country) so that won't be an issue at all.

oh well i am living next to China, e.g. Pakistan, but still not got my documents, as those r expected to come at the end of this month, it means it depends on each university decision makers.

I wonder if a faxed document (just the admissions notice) would be sent in the even that the mail gets lost or something. I mean the university should have sent it via EMS or at least register the mail -that way it can be tracked. It is an important document so I find it strange that my university decided to send it via regular mail. How odd.

@amvtop10 - The package should have at least your admissions notice and the student visa JW201 application form. Your university might include other things in the package, but these are the 2 important documents. We should receive these documents by the end of the month, so there's nothing to worry about for now. If you're worried, you can try to ask them for the tracking number of the package (if any). If they posted it without a tracking number (which would be really careless of them!) give it until the 31st of July. If you haven't received it by then, inform your CI. If you applied directly, then contact your university directly.

If I haven't received it by late July, I will ask my university to fax me a copy of my admissions notice. This should also inform them that I will be arriving without the original stamped document. Unless they want to re-send me another copy. By the way, you may be allowed to apply for an F visa using the admissions notice alone. I've done this before in the past.

I contacted my CI and they said that the scholarship people havent even sent out the package yet, so they cant proceed to the next step which is sending me the stuff. That is dumb. they trying to stall or something?

also i contacted my doctor today and they wont let me get another phsyical because i took one in january. they said i got to wait a year. how am i going to get my shots.

I haven't received anything yet. On the first week of July, my host uni told me that they'd send the package around July 10. It's July 18 and thus, I haven't heard anything about it yet. Should I worry and contact them again?!