Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@Bjnsharp - I didn't email them. I had been contemplating it though, but decided against doing that. They emailed me first, asking me to confirm the details of my application. What's your situation like Bjnsharp?

I emailed but I haven't heard from them either. Neither have I receive the admission letter. I did give a call and found out when my term dates so that I can start the process of asking for leave (no info on the website). I think there are some universities websites gives out exact dates and the schedule for the academic terms, so worth checking out....

@ATkinG: here's my status message from the CIS website:

申请进度:“奖学金资格评审中”- 授予奖学金

(意见:同意授予。)2013年度获得全额奖学金。

接收院校:云南师范大学

Haven't heard anything more. Good luck.

@emstarrz - there's a 'Register' button, if you scroll down you will see your official status with a few more details. What does yours say? Have you been in touch with your CI? I hope they've had some good news for you.

We should all be receiving our admissions package by next week or some time around early July.

@amvtop10

That is for you to handle on your own. Hsk2 is the minimum requirement to get a scholarship. If you can pass hsk2 then you should know how to figure it out yourself. You expect the COnfucius institute to hold your handle through out? You are essentially going to china by yourself.

In a way, I agree with tyedi. :D CIS had a minimum HSK requirement so they probably expect us to know how to get to the university on our own. Having said that, I think it's important to let them know our arrival date so that they let the staff at the 留学生公寓 prepare our room. Imagine arriving there after working hours and they don't have our room ready.

@amvtop10 - Yes, we just wait for our admissions package. The documents should indicate the registration dates and it should include our visa forms. We should then book our tickets, apply for visa, then leave for China. :)

Also, contact the international students office and let them know your arrival date. Ask them if they will be able to organize transportation for you, from the airport to your university. Please note that airports are usually far away from the rest of the city so you might have to pay for that amount. In first-tier cities, it will cost over RMB200 from the airport to the centrally-located universities. So keep that in mind. Or print out your unviersity's information (in Mandarin) and hand it over to the taxi driver. Alternatively, find a student already studying at your university who is from your country. They might be willing to help you out as much as possible.

I'm thinking of leaving for China 2 weeks before the registration date. I wonder if that's too early. Any thoughts? Thanks.

When I went into the register tab this is what it said....

What does this mean?!

I'm getting so worried now....

报到事项:

孔子学院奖学金留学生注册报到注意事项 奖学金留学生须根据接收院校规定的开学时间,按时到校注册报到,否则奖学金资格不予保留。入学体检不合格者,奖学金资格将被取消。

1.奖学金留学生须履行注册报到手续。接收院校依据孔子学院奖学金授予名单,核对新生和在校生人数,填写、提交注册报到表,申请拨付资助经费。

2.奖学金留学生资助费用根据注册报到人数进行拨付,由接收院校按照各类别奖学金资助内容和标准执行。

3.奖学金留学生注册报到后,须参加接收院校组织的入学教育,了解孔子学院奖学金资助宗旨和汉语国际教育发展情况,熟悉法规校纪、生活习俗、安全防范、医疗保险等注意事项。汉语国际教育专业硕士奖学金留学生须提交《孔子学院奖学金承诺书》

I agree you should know enough Chinese to be able to get yourself there and after all this is why we are going, to learn the language. As long as you plan to arrive within reasonable hours, getting from the airport to your university should not be too hard. The train stations have English speaking people, many Chinese (especially the young) can speak English and would be more than willing to help. If you are arriving out of hours then you can easily find a hotel for that one night. The university will also probably assist you if you contact them prior, usually they offer transport from airports/train stations for a small fee or at least give you information on how to make the journey.

You will probably be surprised how easy it is to get around, especially if your going to one of the bigger cities.

I was going to arrive a couple of weeks early into China but not arrive at the university 2 weeks early, I highly doubt you could get in your room before a certain date, but if you want to travel in China beforehand any amount of time is not enough.

• Like 1

@emstarrz It should say underneath that. Something like this but formatted differently

报到信息 年份 学期 接收院校 学籍状态 年度奖学金资格 2013 秋季 西安交通大学 未报到 全奖

• Like 1

@Bjnsharp - A few years ago when I was on the CSC scholarship they arranged my flight and I ended up in China 3 weeks prior to the registration date! But you're right, perhaps 2 weeks is too early. I will have to contact my host university to see which date will be the earliest I can come.

@emstarrz - You should contact the Confucius Institute in your country if your status hasn't changed at this point.

Oh so you can apply for both the scholarships and get them both?

I'll keep that in mind for after my final year.

I just received an email from my university confirming I got the scholarship and that the admission letter has been delivered to my confucius institute.

@ Bjnsharp - Oh ok. Yes, you can apply for the CSC after you complete the CIS, that's no problem at all. :)

I'm so excited you guys, I already started packing my winter stuff! :D But I always have this fear that they might change their minds and decide to withdraw the scholarship. That's probably me just being paranoid.

If you guys wanna keep in touch, let's do that via Weixin (or Wechat)? We can create a Confucius Scholarship group I think. Also a good way to practice our Mandarin with each other. Cheers.

• Like 1