Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@ATkinG - I can confirm that almost all students are required to pay for their residence permit and accommodation deposit fees. You should assume that you will pay for it (if you don't need to - although unlikely - then at least you get to keep your money). But it's better to be prepared.

As soon as we get there, we will be given our one-off stipend and then in the same month we will be given our month's allowance. So it is equivalent to a 2-month's allowance (i.e. if we're getting 1400RMB per month we will be given 2800RMB for September, and we will have to cover the above mentioned fees with this). The last time I was in China, the school's staff handed me the money for 2 months...and then right then and there they listed down the fees I had to settle before I walked out the administration's office. :D

Please note that in some cases, the university will give you the stipend first and they may give you the allowance a few weeks later (mid-month). So yeah, it might be useful to have some cash in hand. I wouldn't worry about trying to carry enough for one year...you will be paid per month (unless of course you feel 1400 RMB per month is way below what you would need. In that case, take as much as you feel necessary for your lifestyle).

Oh, and I should mention that we have a certain utilities limit (electricity). I'm not a Physics person so I can't and won't use the terminology. But basically, if we surpass our monthly usage limit we will be charged for that. :D

I'm not really sure how much money I should take with me either...probably about a thousand dollars though which will cover a one-way ticket back home in the event that I need to go back asap for any reason.

• Like 1

Well I didn't realize we shouldn't be talking about this here. If it's not alright, I hope the admins will let us know and split it into a separate topic

I'm not going to bother, but currently it seems we have CSC, CI and independent students all worrying about the same thing in different places. I'm not sure how useful this is.

Shuoshuo, you don't apply for an F, L or X visa - on the visa form (at least the ones I've seen) you choose a purpose of visit (travel, business, study, etc) and they look at that and any supporting documentation and then they decide which visa class to give you.

@roddy - I get what you're saying. Ultimately, it really is up to the embassy to decide which visa to issue the applicant. But as far as I know, I won't be issued an X visa if I do not apply with a JW-201 form. So that only leaves the possibility of an F visa, because they will definitely not issue me a tourist (L) visa.

But anyway, we'll see how it goes. If my documents get here on time, the X visa would be the type I'd be hoping for. But they process visas here with no hassles so I'm a bit indifferent to the type (be it X or F) that I'm issued. I know that both visa types can be converted to a residence permit.

shuoshuo: oh no! just make sure u book ur appmt coz i think the dates they release are 2 weeks in advance. im sure there will be np getting appmt but u know just in case! i suppose worst case, u can turn up on appmt not having original documents; i did that but thank goodness it arrived the day before my appmt! and i got x visa despite only study one semester!

amvtop: i did ask embassy guy when i got my visa with the 000. he said doesnt mean anything. in any case this has to be converted to residence permit upon arrival to china.

@fruitie - Thanks for your response. :) I'm only a bit worried about the admissions notice. I don't want to turn up at the school and have them asking me who am I and requesting proof that I received the scholarship. :D But the teacher has been notified that the documents are late so he is aware of the issue.

Apart from that, obtaining a visa will not be a problem.

Problem right now is this: looks like I will be arriving 1 day earlier than expected. I have booked my flight but I will confirm through payment tomorrow. When that happens I will have to ask the teacher if I can be there 1 day before they open the dorms to us. If that's not acceptable, I will have to sort out my accommodation for the first day and then move to the dorms the following day. This has already been an exhausting journey...and it hasn't even begun! :D

@fruitie - I will have a confirmation on my flight details tomorrow. But no, I wouldn't live near the airport. Airports in China are located so far away from the main urban area, and it's just boring. :D Plus, they are way over priced. I'm going to back to the city I spent years at, so I won't rest as soon as I get there. I'll be wandering the streets and uploading pics on FB as soon as I dump my luggage in the room. :D

If my university tells me that they can't accommodate me a day earlier then I'll book a youth hostel.

can i get input from you all....

what are your plans on insurance? The scholarship covers "comprehensive insurance", no idea what that means.

also would you guys advise to get any travel insurance on top? i just did a quick search and alot of insurances only cover short trips i.e. ranging from max 30-60 days trip.

Just returned from China, Qingdao this July... spent there one year with the CIS scholarship.

The insurance they provide isn't worth a shit. I had one friend from Poland on the same scholarship and he had some issues with his lungs... it turned out he had to pay everything by himself, of course. I was lucky in that I did not fall ill or have any accidents or injuries, but if you are paranoid about it and want to be 100% sure, I would suggest you have the insurance plan of your own. And yes, this could be pretty expensive.

Also, for everyone going to China with CIS: do have enough cash ready when you arrive in China - for at least a month. Yes, they are supposed to give you this one-off arrival subsidy and monthly allowance, but these kind of things tend to take time in China. Sometimes, a lot of time. So, be prepared.

• Like 2

As far as I know, they cover very basic medical care. Which also means crap service. I agree with Loki...get ready to pay out of your own pocket if you get sick and need proper medical service. Although, I find local Chinese hospital fees + medicine affordable.

I know one person who suffered with lung problems due to the pollution in his city...Beijing! His condition was so bad that he decided to leave China almost as soon as he arrived.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the CIS with us Loki.

@amvtop10 - China is generally very polluted. But some cities are worst than others. The air pollution affects some people, especially those with respiratory issues. My country has very clean air, so I actually know 2 people from here who suffered with the air pollution in China. One of them had requested to change cities (this was granted) and another one didn't bother appealing. He simply decided to leave China, especially because his health condition deteriorated rapidly, and was more severe. That said, I lived in China for many years and I have never experienced respiratory problems. So we all react differently to this.

Yes, all universities have gym facilities.

Hey Fellas~!

Finally I got my Visa after getting late first day and after getting rejected once by Embassy cuz there were no name of Guarantor Name & Tel. ph number on my Visa Application sent by my host university, Then I got back to my Confucius and Head of Confucius called to the same person in Embassy who rejected my Visa and gave me a letter to give him. Then i got Visa widout any fee and any interview. Big Thanks to him as well :)

Well, leaving for China on 1st September to Wuhan.

Stay in touch all of u.

And at last, finally a big Thanks to everyone specially to @shuoshuo, who helped us alot wid his previously experience in all the process.. :)

Regards

ATkinG

Thanks ATkinG. :)

I received my documents a few days ago. I went straight to the Chinese embassy with the documents and asked the staff there to process my student visa. She took one look at the JW202 form and handed it back to me. I asked "but wouldn't you need that to process my visa?" and her response was "I have documents flying all over the place, I think you should just keep that with you."

I looked at her like this: :shock:

LOL...

I waited for almost 2 months for that JW202 form so that I could get my X visa, only to find out that she will be giving me an F visa (valid for 3 months). :wall

• 3 weeks later...

@fruiti hey bro!! Yep... Enjoying alot in my university!! In love wid China now :D

Well According to my university, Attendance for Confucius Institute Students should be 2/3, (means 66%) or they'll send us to our country back...

Ask ur university's IES (International Education School). So they can inform ur about their rules. :)

Note: My WeChat ID is *ATking1* so if u hav any question regarding to Confucius Scholarship or hav any problem, so u can ask me on it :)