Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

Thanks so much guys :)

I'll contact Hanban so I know exactly that is required for next year.

My CI wasn't that helpful in that aspect unfortunately....

Can someone please tell me what is the Hanban's email address? And number?

The one on the CIS website stated that the email is for technical difficulties?

@emstarrz - You can use the email address that is visible after you log into your account. I used that before and during my application and they've always been very helpful. Also consider applying for the CSC next year, their scholarship quota is more and their criteria requires a lot less.

@shuoshuo - Would you know if we could apply for a CIS scholarship again after getting awarded one? As for the CSC next year, if I am to apply, then I guess the recommendation will come from my profs at XiaDa? Is that possible?

Hi everybody!

I apllied for Confucius scholarship this year. I didn't get it, because I'm currently a student at the Beijing Language and Culture University with a 1 year CSC scholarship. Funny thing is: another student for the same country (Hungary) is also currently studying in China with the same scholarship as I am and she got the Confucius scholarship without any problem. (on the other hand she decided not to accept it but nobody gets her scholarship)

Hanban is not really helpful.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

This morning I received my admission documents and have prepared my application visa. Happy to see registration is between 16th and 22nd September so I can get a couple of weeks of travel in before starting.

Hope everyone else is receiving their documents soon.

• Like 1

@ihcahieh - I'm not 100% sure. As far as I know, the scholarship applications are open early in the year before the autumn semester. So on January when the first semester ends you will probably have to return home and wait for the applications to open. That is also around the same time CSC applications begin. I do not know anyone or any case where the CIS applications open again for Spring intakes.

If you want to ensure being granted the CSC scholarship, try to get a recommendation from your Chinese embassy. But if you cannot, then yes I'm sure an early admissions notice from your university will be beneficial.

@Bjnsharp - Congrats! I am eagerly waiting for mine. Can you please tell me if they sent yours through DHL or if they used regular post? Quite disappointed that registrations are some time around mid-September for most universities this year. I want to leave my country and start studying already! :D Not sure when I will receive my documents but I'm hoping to receive them this week or next week, fingers crossed! :)

@shuoshuo - I think they mostly send by EMS. At least that's what my university told me and I've heard the same from other people. EMS is quite fast, in my experience. Last year I had to send some documents home, I took them to the post office on Wednesday and they were delivered on Monday ( Hebei to central Europe), which was faster than I expected. They told me the estimated delivery time was 7-10 days. (That obviously depends on your location.)

• Like 1

I haven't received anything and my Confucius Institute close next week for July 4th (US Independence Day) so I most likely won't hear or receive anything until July 8 (Monday) when they reopen

My school usually starts the first week of September

I use the school's website and Google translate the Chinese site to search for the semester start date

The school's Chinese site is a lot more up to date than it's English version

The other thing I did was doing a Facebook search and send message to current students at the school to ask about living conditions and such (I was about to get a QQ and Renren account just in case no one replied as Facebook is blocked in China)

My CI teacher also gave me contacts of the previous year CI winner

All in all I'm not too worried

I sent a mesage to the Confucius Institute here in Manila regarding the requirements. They said that those documents would be shipped directly to my home address. None sent until now so far. Maybe within this week.

Does anyone know if you need to get the physical examination form before going to China or if you can get it when you arrive. I have heard the cost here is about £200. But I have had it done in China and remember it being considerably cheaper so would rather have it done there.

@fruitie - I'm not sure because this is the first time I've applied to CIS (I was on the CSC before). The website states that the scholarship awardees are informed by June 15 but I was told I was awarded the scholarship on the 20th. So I suppose delays are possible. But at this point, it's July and most universities have already closed applications (applications for both scholarship students and self-funded students). So by now we should all know whether or not we've been accepted by a host institution or if Hanban has granted us the scholarship. I wouldn't say "there's no such thing" but I'm sure there is always an exception for the possibility of a delay. Your CI will know the result by now. If they tell you to wait for example, then there's still a chance.

@Bjnsharp - Your physical examination form will have to be completed before you apply for your X visa or your residence permit. If you're certain that you have no health issues, then you can do it in China. It costs around 400-500 RMB there. Considerably cheaper than your country. I have already done my physicals (which was a requirement for my CSC application) but why do I have a feeling they're going to let me do it all over again? :D

@fruitie - A deadline to confirm your acceptance? No, I'm sure that they are assuming that because you applied it means you will attend. Generally, you will have to be at your university in time for registrations. But I suppose it might be courteous for you to let your unversity know when you'll be there (so they can prepare your accommodation or tell you any additional information that you need to know before you arrive).

I am still waiting for my admissions letter. I will not buy my plane ticket until I receive it and then contact the university so that they can tell me which dates I will be accepted into the dorms free of charge. :)