Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

This might be the case, especially with the language classes. For example jiaoda has 4 levels of language class. The top level is approximately HSK5. Then they have degree course classes, 4 levels, I know that at the end of year one you are expected to be of hsk5 level, end of year 2 hsk6 level. Therefore they still offer to years of class which should be of a higher level than hsk6. Other universities have considerably more levels which is much better for separating the lower level Chinese learners, but I wouldn't be surprised if your right and some universities cannot offer the level. Maybe if at this level they are expecting you to apply for the masters level scholarships.

submitting lower level HSK scores is a good idea but don't forget though that the Hanban may manage to access the scores of all the HSK tests you have taken since they are the ones who prepare and organize it. so it is like between the devil and deep sea!

but is it real that they reject participants with high scores? i have 297 in HSK 3, am I in risk? having read the messages, I really got scared, I stake everything on this scholarship....... and my status *推荐* is not changing too... 

Yours should be fine because even though you got a high score level 3 is a lot lower than level 5. You'd have to work hard to pass level 5 at the end of the year. I thought for a year scholarship they required hsk4 and for 6 months hsk3

On their website it's written that for one year scholarship HSK 3 is required, and for 6 months - HSK 2. That's why I gave this level, and not HSK 4 as I wanted at first, and also because my CI said that for applying HSK level must be strictly not higher than that one indicated in the regulation. I thought that the exam which verifies the level at the end of the year is organized for students who apply for MTCSOL programs.There is also an exam for those who apply just for one year scholarship?? I mean after one year I will have to pass level 5? o.O

I applied last year and thought the requirement for the 1 year scholarship was HSK4 but I might have been mistaken. I had to take hsk5 last week and they gave me no option. This may also change next year though.

I think the criteria remains the same over the years but the information they provide to you in person seems changing. In my case, the lady at the local Confucius I. seemed she know about the stuff but were not so willing to give out information, after the application process is done, I got a sense from her that I should have been taking higher level HSK than I have taken, HSK3. According to the experiences you guys shared here, It turns out taking high level HSK is not a good thing after all. So applicants should ask them clear straightforward questions so that they don't get frustrated. 

By the way, last six more days to get results from host institutes, any updates, changes, good news so far?

If the information given by Confucius institutes is not precise, maybe, it's even better to write directly to the Hanban, which I, actually, did when I had a question that my local CI didn't manage to answer))))

As for me, my status is still the same - 推荐。 They said the admission list would be submitted to the Hanban by the 26th of May.... Is it normal that there is still no change? Getting a bit worried........

I'm also still at 推荐, even though the university said in an email to my CI that they wanted to accept me. Getting a bit anxious, too, I hope they haven't forgotten to confirm on the site! But good to hear that I'm not the only one :-)

申请进度:“接收院校审核中”- 录取 
(意见:材料齐全,符合申请条件,同意拟录取)

I believe this are good news?? Now we are waiting for Hanban decision? Ohh it was so long way to get this status changed;] Last week I have contacted both of my universities, my first prefernce uni told me they are already full, however they didn't cancel my application so my second choice uni couldn't see me in the system. My teacher called them and they cancelled my application, but my second choice uni despite the fact that they were interesting with my application couldn't take it into consideration because they were waiting for students who put them in the first place as they have the priority. My CI agreed (I'm sooo grateful for them!!) to change the priority in my appliction, so I could put my second choice uni on the first place. But instead of one-year scholarship I have submitted by mistake one-semester scholarship, My CI did let me change this information again! I feel really great about the people who were helping me during this application, my CI helped me soooo much, people who are working in admission office also were giving a lot of useful information and my Chinese teacher was calling all the instituions, asking for information and was giving me very precious tips, he is the best!:)

Guys, I wanted to ask you.. maybe, it's a silly question, anyway.. do you usually write to chinese universities in Chinese or in English? according to the fact that my status is not changing, it's high time, in my opinion, to write them. but I don't know what language would be suitable to use.. in Chinese they could give more full information, but English is more convenient for me.. real dilemma)))

Hey:) All the e-mails I wrote in English, however in emergency cases I asked my Chinese teacher to call and speak Chinese, for example when I called Hanban nobody did speak English and I think you are right in Chinese they could give more specific information. There are also few reasons why your status is not changing, if its still recommended, your CI sent your application to the universities, if you are not accepted in the first one they suppose to send your application to your second choice uni, I would advice you to contact both of your universities as it may help you to understand where is your application now. It helped me a lot because my first uni didn't sent my application to the second one till I call them. And I also think that when they see that you r calling, sending messages it means that you really care about it, especially that people in admission office are very friendly and they may give you useful tips. Good luck!:)

Ros4leen, you are telling us some new information that no one in this forum has mentioned before. So from your experience, the local CI can make changes on applicant's status even though submission has made the and the first deadline is already over. It is quite strange to me because the local CI seems to have a great influence over the application, even more than Hanban. I though these kind of changes could be made by Hanban. Anyway, a friend of mine told me that the If the application is accepted by the local CI and the Host I. the Hanban's approval is just a formality. so for those whose application got accepted by the host institute, congratulations.

Actually I was inspired by "crispychips" post, how she/he changed the application. I just told abt it in my CI and they agreed to do it. According to deadline I understood it this way that after May 10th you cannot add new application in the system, but till May 25th (or 21st in some unis) u can imply some changes. But its just my suggestion. I also think that its really worth not to apply for top unis, my first choice uni is placed in Chinese ranking on 175 place and my second choice on 375 or sth like this. Initially, I wanted to apply for Xiada as my uni has an agreement with them, but my CI told me not to do it cause really a loot of people are applying there and its mainly about the luck if you get accepted or not, but I think you guys know it. 

Ros4leen, thanks! now i will try to write to the second-choice university.. actually, i was thinking of writing to them in case I am not accepted by the first host uni...
Anyway, in the line ''接收院校" there is still the name of my first uni...... Can I hope that my documents haven't been rejected yet and resent to the second university?

Oh, too much vagueness......

Maybe, local CI can influence the application process in some way when it concerns their sister - univerisities?.. as for my CI, they said they had done their job and now it's up to host univerisities to take a decision ( it's like this because I didn't choose the sister uni of my local CI).........

When I was cancelled in my first uni I had an information about it in my status so they didn't reject you for sure, but it doesn't mean that you are accepted there (they post any decision in status). I advice you to contact both of unis as soon as possible. Good luck!! :)