Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

I posted a while ago on here but the post never seemed to actually go up on the board? 

Anyway - does anyone know what the quality of teaching you get with the CI scholarship is like? I got a one-semester scholarship and was really hoping to improve a lot to get a step ahead in my first year of uni (I am going in between HS and Uni, as a gap year). But I read on another thread that the classes are upper beginners level at best? Do all the classes really cater only to beginners? I took Chinese A-levels in High School with pretty good marks, will I learn anything in China or will they just be repeating the same basic stuff? 

Also, someone mentioned that registration takes upwards of 6 hours. And my admissions package says that I need to register at the police station max 24 hours after arrival, but I have to bring something that I can only get from the Student's office. Does this mean I can't arrive a few days before registration to sleep out the jetlag? Do they seriously expect me to haul my suitcase around for hours and hours on registration day? 

Does anyone know what the process is like once you're actually IN China? lol

@Vee was Harbin uni your 1st or 2nd choice? i had the same case, i asked my 1st uni if they could reject me since i "had to choose" them as my CI has a contract with them, but the problem was that my 2nd uni(BLCU)told me that despite the highest score of mine they can't accept students who chose the uni as a 2nd. You shouldn't take a big risk, cause there are looots of students waiting for a scholarship

Hi guys, my current status is

申请进度:“接收院校审核中”- 调剂院校

(意见:名额已满,感谢申请。)

接收院校:华东师范大学

ECNU was my second choice, anybody knows what will happen now?? In your opinion Hanban is looking for another university? I have to do something? I'm very anxious.

@bea93. Did you tick on your application form that you accept Hanban can send you at another uni if you are rejected by your first and second choice? If so it is highly likely Hanban will find you a place somewhere. Nothing to do for you at this stage, just wait as usual. Check with your CI just in case. Courage :D !

@pho thank you for your replay. Yes I accept Hanban suggests, but my university recognize exams only in few Chinese university, do you think I can suggest to Hanban other university or not? Someone knows if Fudan in Shanghai has any other place or it is full?

Anyway - does anyone know what the quality of teaching you get with the CI scholarship is like?

@astaa It depends on which university you choose. A university named "foreign studies" or "languages" isn't going to be on the same level than a uni named "architecture" or "technical". Choose wisely.

But I read on another thread that the classes are upper beginners level at best? Do all the classes really cater only to beginners? I took Chinese A-levels in High School with pretty good marks, will I learn anything in China or will they just be repeating the same basic stuff?

If you have HSK 2, as you say on your profile, and choose a nice uni, absolutely no problem (not even with a non-language-specific university). I don't know where you read that.

• Like 1

@bea. Best person to ask about orienting the choice of Hanban would be Crisgee who is in charge of CIS in Manilla. 

He might be able to tell you from the experience of his students what is the best way to negociate it with Hanban. In any case, I suppose you can always try to communicate Hanban the list of institutions recognized by your university and ask them to look for places there first.

@bea, @pho

I have the same situation as bea. I tried to communicate with other universities from hanban's list but they all said they couldn't help if I didn't choose them as host uni in my application.

@bea, @maryellis

Universities can't see your application when they are not reviewing it. That is why they can't help.

I think the only way is to get in touch with Hanban via their support service as indicated on your CIS account. No guarantee it works but worth a try especially if you know where you want to go.

支持服务Support service
  • 如遇系统使用问题,请联系:
  • E-mail:hanban_support@hanyu.open.com.cn
  • Tel:86-10-59301133
  • 如有招生问题,请联系接收院校或推荐机构

@Bea93 My first choice is Fudan and I don't think they have even looked at any applications. I have heard that they wait till mid July to review applicants.

I have emailed the support on the CIS account, but no response. I also emailed Fudan and they said all I can do is wait.

@Bea93 Interesting that one of your friends got it and the other didn't, I wonder if it was to do with HSK scores or something? My status is still 已确认too.

I would rather they just didn't accept mine by now so that I could be passed on to my second choice. I am worried that all of the scholarship places will be filled and Fudan won't have even looked at mine... :( the waiting is the worst part   :wall

Admin Message:

Some of you are complaining about the number of email notifications you're getting from this (now very busy) topic. To manage these....

There is a follow / unfollow button up at the top right of the page, below the header.

You can set your notification options here

And choose what content you follow here

Anyone with an @interia.pl email account - I've had to cancel all your followed content as notifications are being rejected.

• Like 2