Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

Hi guys, I decided to apply for Confucius institute scholarship and I have obtained the scholarship for Shanghai Normal University. There is someone that in September will go there? I want to make friend before leaving so I don't feel like a stranger when I will go there. :)

Has anyone heard of the university's contact emails being sent straight to the spam folder? A friend just told me he checked it and his email was in the spam folder...

@hoshinoumi yes, that happens for most email sent in chinese. I normally use Gmail, but for the purpose of communicating with the university, I created account on QQmail. This way not only do I know that they receive my mail, but also that I receive theirs.

• New Members

Hi guys :)
I've just wanted to ask ypu for advice
Is it normal that I have this statust for more than 20 days already
申请进度:“接收院校审核中”- 预录取

Should I contact Hanban? Or should I wait a little bit more?

Not extending, but successfully re-applying. Yes we have had students like that before. However they did it before these rules:

International students who are now studying in China are not eligible for the scholarship.

@crisgee:

What are the ways around that rule for the 1 year scholarship? Can you get around it by going back to your home country and starting the visa application process afresh? Will they simply reject your application from the start if you are in China enrolled at any language school?

• Like 1

The trouble is that if these CIS rules are new for 2016-  Crisgee can surely confirm it- they will only apply for students sent this Fall. It means nobody has ever tried to see if they will be enforced or not.

I was also thinking that applying to a different kind of scholarship would be a solution, unless they also have the same kind of restriction. Also I don't know if they offer just 6 months to complete the Fall semester I have been awarded. 

@LinZhenPu. Why are you so keen on a CIS?

Hello, guys!

Do you know if there is any problem if i do no pass an exam at my current faculty and i intend to sit the exam right after i return from China? Is there any condition for the one-year scholarship regarding this? 

Thx :)

Does anybody know anything about the quality of lessons you receive through the Confucius Scholarships?

I will be going to Renmin University for the fall semester on a scholarship, but after reading some of the old posts on here, I found that a lot of people said they only offer classes in the morning (which effectively means only 2-3 hours of lessons per day?) and that the level of those classes caters to upper-elementary students at best?

Is any of that true? I took Chinese A-levels in high school (graduating this week) and was really hoping that this semester in China would get me a step ahead - especially in reading/writing. Would I have any chance to improve a lot over those 6 months, or would I just be repeating the same basic stuff all over? Should I just focus on the experience and accept that I won't learn much?

@Bshope: yes. Some people can wait for over a month even. Just wait. Just waaaait.

@LinZhenPu: Sorry, I don't think it's proper for me to come up with loopholes for our own rules. Hope you understand. ;) Also, the rule is pretty straightforward. Plus, Hanban reserves right to interpret it as they wish.

@pho: im not sure what you mean. When i see applicants with previous experience studying in China I automatically reject them. I believe thats what they do in other CIs too. If not, Hanban will evetually find out and reject them. If not, that CI may have some sort of special agreement.

The spirit of these rules preventing re-application for the short term scholarships is: Give chance to others. It is also a challenge to those who receive it to make the most of their time there and not take it for granted. If you want to get another scholarship, apply for the MTSCOL program.

• Like 2

@Ioanna95

By "current faculty" to do mean A) your current school in your country or B) your assigned Chinese university? I am assuming you got your scholarship. And by "exam" do you mean the HSK?

@Crisgee. I red on the forum about someone who in 2015 managed to extend its 6 months scolarship at the end of its stay.  That is why I thought the 2016 rules you quoted were possibly different last year.

Pity we can't re-apply anymore like in the past although I understand it is to give more students a chance to go to China and I am fine with that.

I will have a look at the MTSCOL program as you suggested as I am sure these 5 months will fly away very quickly. Indeed my initial plan was to get a one year scholarship but with my baccalaureate exams this year there was no way I could study up to HSK3. It doesn't matter because I am so happy I got the 6 months one :D !

@crisgee

I am talking about my current school in my country...no, it is not about the HSK, I wanted to know if there is some condition about passing all the exams at the faculty where i am studying now. I know that at the scholarships provided by the Government if you have not passed all the exams, you may lose the scholarship. 

@loana95 Don't worry, you don't need to be a university student in order to get the CIS, Hanban doesn't care or doesn't matter what you do with your university exams back home ;)

• Like 2