Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

My application was recieved at hangzhou normal, the suddenly this:

申请进度:“接收院校审核中”- 未录取

(意见:学生重复报名,学校未录取。)

接收院校:沈阳师范大学

I never even applied to Shenyang uni tho I said I accepted recommendations.

Anyway what doea this means besides not accepting me to there?

It says you had already been registered. Have you applied for other scholarships like the Chinese Government Scholarship? I had the same status and in my case it meant I was already pre-admitted by BLCU under a different scholarship.

Can you please explain to me where does it say so? :) I can't see it.

Here: 学生重复报名

It could mean either sending two applications for CIS (unlikely) or applying for multiple scholarships, one had already been registered so they cancelled the other one.

Hi. I have red on the forum that the CI scholarship money could be paid a month after your arrival. In the meantime it seems you have to pay various fees and the accommodation rent in the first days.

Anyone currently on a CIS who could share his experience on that topic? Crisgee could tell us what your students experienced even if it is probably different for each university? Thanks.

@pho I was told by some students this year that not only do you get the first payment a month later but also the rest of the months it is many times due a couple of days or even a week. I will get money enough to last for at least 5 weeks without scholarship.

@hoshinoumi.

Do you plan to bring euros for you to change there (as Spain like Germany is still in Europe and in the Euro group :mrgreen:) ?

If we have to pay for the semester for the accommodation as I red on the forum that is quite a lot of money to bring. 700 euros maybe at ECNU for 5 months.

Do you know if the students you talked to opened a bank account once there and how did it work out - online use, debit card etc,..I will be interested to know. Thanks.

@pho

The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.

So as one-semester study student, you only need to pay a deposit when you check in dormitory and for textbooks.

Do you plan to bring euros for you to change there?

I won't. I thought of getting about 3000-3500 yuan but I will exchange it here in Spain. If after that I find I still need more money before the scholarship payment arrives, I will then exchange what I need there, but I think 3500 should be enough. I don't know about the bank account. I'll ask my friend but most likely you must open one within a week or two to get the scholarship money.

Just reposting because I think this got missed in the last page:

I submitted my scholarship application in the end of May, with BLCU as my first choice, and my status is still “推荐机构择优确认中". I emailed my Confucius Institute last week and they told me not to be concerned and that I should have an answer by mid-July, but I was wondering if it was taking so long for anyone else. Thanks!

@Zishan If you read this topic carefully, you will figure out that not only you wait for so long. Some people wait for month or more before their status changed. Now you need to wait when Hanban check your documents.

• Like 1

Just reading some pages on the subject on the web. It seems you can change your euros at the airport for the first spending days then you can go to the local Bank of China with your passport and change your money there. Might be a simpler option than finding a bank here in Germany and get a bad exchange rate I suppose.

• Like 1

@hoshinoumi. Yes it will be interesting to know via your friends if you have to open an account at Bank of China or at another big state bank for the CI scholarship to be paid. In that case, no need to open one here in Europe before September as that is one of the option I am considering.

So, in my admissions package it says that I have to register at the police station within the first 24 hours of arriving in Beijing (which is pretty normal. I think most people do this when they arrive in China) - but it also says I need to bring a specific document with me, that I can only get from the international students office.

So basically I would be illegally in the country until after registration day when I can actually get into the dorm room and get this document from the students office? Do they seriously expect people to arrive in the morning on registration day and stand in line for hours to register, be photographed, have the health check, sign up for a bank account etc. after 20-30+ hours of travel, with jetlag and while hauling their luggage around? And then after that whole ordeal is over still have the energy to go back to the students office, get the document, go find a police station, wait in line there, and register there? 

Seems a bit ridiculous they don't allow you to come a few days early and stay in a hostel, sleep off the jetlag etc? Especially for those of us coming from Europe... Did I misunderstand the brochure from the admissions package or is this just the way it is? Any way to work around it?

@Astaa I spent a semester on exchange in Beijing at a school partnered with my uni in Canada and never had to register, and didn't meet anyone who bothered except a few students who rented apartments off campus. And they registered with the police much later than 24 hours after arrival. I stayed a few days in a hostel before moving into my dorms, and my understanding was that most hostels/hotels scan your passport and register you. I don't think the schools actually communicate with the police to check if you had registered. This was only my experience, and it would of course be helpful if anyone had a different story.

• Like 2

@Astaa I have studied in China twice before. I believe that if you are staying on campus that you don't have to register at a police station. You will most likely be asked to fill out a document either at check in to your dorm or registration which will mean you are registered. If you are living off campus you do need to register at the police station, as far as I know. I have heard though that you can get away with doing it within the first week and dont have to do it within 24 hours. If you pretend you didnt understand or you dont speak much Chinese I think you will be okay!

• Like 2