Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

Hi, is it useful to take a student abroad insurance for your stay?  I know that at ECNU international students must purchase a Comprehensive Insurance & Protection for Foreigners staying in China  when doing on-site registration. It is provided by offered by Ping'An Annuity Insurance Company. Anyone had experience wth this insurance company, is it big in China?

Thanks LinZhenPu. That is why I mentionned the one provided by Ping'An Annuity Insurance Company in my post. I was thinking more on the line of repatriation insurance in case of big health problems.

I am also interested in knowing about the quality of the comprehensive insurance provided in China, at least in Shanghai.

Gi guys! After being rejected by both unis my current status is still 

申请进度:“接收院校审核中”- 未录取 
(意见:学校未录取。)

Yesterday I asked the head of my Confucius Institute what does she think about that. She said this year Hanban has quite a lot of requests from all over the world and Hanban gives preference to the students. Is it true?

I'm 27 and I already work. 

@Bea93

Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to ask Hanban to change your assigned university. If your Italian university is firm on not crediting your exams in Jinan University, then it will be up to you to make the choice between not going or just continuing anyway and gain some experience.

@dcase479

I believe scholarship students are assigned to the regular track. I attended BLCU on a CSC Scholarship and they put me in the regular track with classes all in the mornng. But if you wish to enroll in electives that are held in the afternoon, you may do so and pay for the tuition at your own expense.

@jay.p and @adam13

Right now we are at the stage where people are getting accepted while some are being transferred. If both your 1st and 2nd choices have rejected you, your application will be transferred to other universities of Hanban's choosing. So jay.p, Central China Normal University is reviewing your application, while adam13 yours is in Shenyang Normal University. Basically now you have to wait again to see if they will accept you.

@Astaa

Zishan and hannahknolan are correct. I would like to add that everytime you transfer residences, you will have to register again in some way. For example, you don't like living in the dorm and you decide to live off campus, your landlord should assit you in registering with the police. This was what I went through during my time. The day I moved in, the landlord brought me to register first in the 小区 (residential subdivision) office, then the police station. 

@pho

In my time, I didn't pay ant deposit when I checked in our dorm. BLCU dorms for scholarship students were crap (I hope they either tore those buildings down or renovated them already), and I had to pay some small amount for the aircon and tv remotes. We also had to buy our own wifi routers because they only provided ntwork cables in every room (I think this is still the case for most universities). And of course, you had to pay for your internet subscription in some other building.   I was made to do a repeat physical exam and I didn't pay anything for that. Also, we CSC Scholarship Students received an initial amount of i think 1700 RMB cash immediately after registration to help us settle down. After that we received our allowance according to the normal schedule. Our allowances were deposited in a ATM/Debit Card.

• Like 1

@Crisgee. Thanks. When you say "deposited in a ATM/Debit Card", do you mean you had to open a bank account to receive the allowance and use the debit card provided by the account to get cash (or use an ATM)?

Hi, is it useful to take a student abroad insurance for your stay?

I've been strongly advised to purchase one, as (I've been told) the insurance provided by the CIS is quite bad!

Does anyone know if it's at all possible to arrive on campus a day or two early? As to not have to carry your luggage around with you on registration day? (especially since I read on another thread that registration and making a bank account and the ONEcard thing takes upwards of 6 hours?)

@hoshinoumi. That is what I heard too but I suppose it depends on where you are in China. In any case the CIS insurance does not cover repatriation and if you are stuck with a big health problem, it might be advisable to go back home. Without student abroad insurance you might pay a fortune. On the other hand staying in a chinese hospital could be a fast track course to learn chinese with a speciality in medical vocabulary :P ! Any insurance you were recommended to purchase Hoshinoumi?

About banking. Did your friends were able to tell you if you have to open a chinese bank account for the payment of the allowance? What bank do they recommend? 

@ Marryellis. Quite a lot of people applying for the CSC, another type of scholarship, seem to work full time. That is all I can tell.

DId you tick on your application the possibility for Hanban to send you anywhere if you were rejected by your first and second choices? If so you just have to wait for Hanban to find you another institution.

@ Astaa. I don't see why you could not arrive a few days before registration as long as you have your visa. You could ask your Uni about accommodation and see from which date you can stay there. That way you don't have to worry about where to stay if you arrive early.

@pho no info about banking yet. I haven't looked into insurance, the girl who advised it to me didn't tell me which one. Next week I'll start researching about it and post it here :)

Hi guys , i asked my uni 云南 if i can arrive early they said to me i can be there in 25/8 , the first day studying starts in 26/8 , but the registration in 6/9 : 8/9 , how will they receive students and live in campus before registration .

Any one explain plz .

@crisgee 

In my time, I didn't pay ant deposit when I checked in our dorm. BLCU dorms for scholarship students were crap (I hope they either tore those buildings down or renovated them already), and I had to pay some small amount for the aircon and tv remotes. We also had to buy our own wifi routers because they only provided ntwork cables in every room (I think this is still the case for most universities). And of course, you had to pay for your internet subscription in some other building.   I was made to do a repeat physical exam and I didn't pay anything for that. Also, we CSC Scholarship Students received an initial amount of i think 1700 RMB cash immediately after registration to help us settle down. After that we received our allowance according to the normal schedule. Our allowances were deposited in a ATM/Debit Card.

What year(s) did you do the scholarship, Crisgee?

@maryellis

That's debatable, I am 27 too and working, at first I applied for the 1 year scholarship but my CI told me that they (Hanban) would only give me scholarship for one semester because of my HSK3 score (257), that was before any of my university options review my applications, before I changed my scholarship application I made a list of universities and emailed them asking if they still were taking students, my 1st option at that time told me they were not receiving more students, others say they were and the rest didn't reply. Therefore I changed my 1st option (SISU) with my 2nd option (South China University of technology). And SCUOT accepted me right away. 

From my understanding your problem is that the options you applied didn't accept you, but that doesn't mean you haven't got the scholarship. Just wait if Hanban send you to another Uni. Good luck!!

@pho I was just told to bring in cash, around 4000 yuan with you to last you the full month. They also told me the bank depends on what your uni tells you when you register.

@saocir

Really? That doesn't seem right. 257 is a very good score. The principal from my CI said that to get a one-year scholarship, get a score of 180 or better in HSK3 test and 60 or better in HSKK Beginner's test, so the same as the official Hanban source says, and that with his recommendation, I would have a very strong chance of getting accepted at Chongqing University. I am 25 and not working.