Chinese-Forums

What was the last Chinese film you watched?

Chinadoog

• 2 weeks later...

I watched 武俠 today. It is quite likeable, especially the village life. Lovely cinematography. And Donnie Yen plays his part very well (he can act, as demonstrated in 葉問 and even in 七劍). I think Kaneshiro's role is underdeveloped.

It is not the great film that I had hoped to see, but perhaps my expectation was too high (again). I still like 投名狀 better.

PS - the film ticket cost HK$45 only, but the pop-corn was HK$38! Outrageous price.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished 一頁台北 (and I always thought it was 一夜台北; oddly, google has hits for both....). I miss Taiwan. All the scenes with the food -- especially the 水饺 -- I almost cried. Mmmm, Taiwan street food.....

Just finished 一頁台北 [...]
I would have liked it a lot better if it was faster-paced.

Two Taiwanese films I've recently seen:

經過 (The Passage) - Could be cultural differences at work, as I found this film to be annoying overall, despite some nice moments.

藍色大門 (Blue Gate Crossing) - Nice coming of age story with actors the right age acting like real teenagers.

If you're missing Taiwan, you could do worse than watch 第36個故事 (Taipei Exchanges), a lovely little film.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look.

I guess the pacing of 一頁台北 didn't bother me; I think a lot of recent films are too frenetic. Besides, if it were faster paced, they'd need to come up with more plot ;) Overall it seemed very French to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Let the Bullets Fly and Overheard (the first one) just recently. I thought LTBF was a bit all over the place in parts. I'm now looking forward to reading the book it was based on to fill in all the gaps.

Skylee how would you rate Overheard 2 compared to the original?

I watched Overheard twice, on two consecutive weekends. I also watched Overheard 2 twice, but on the same day. If this is any indication I think I like Overheard2 better, or at least just as much as the first one. (But there have not been many good films this summer.)

And everyone raves about Daniel Wu. :) He is good. And a very good example of someone who speaks Cantonese very fluently but whose accent cannot be ignored.

Saw Let the Bullets Fly and Overheard (the first one) just recently. I thought LTBF was a bit all over the place in parts. I'm now looking forward to reading the book it was based on to fill in all the gaps.
Feel free to post that kind of info in the movie's thread; I know the movie's references went way over my head.

后门, a black and white movie from 1960 which was pretty easy to understand (and not in the least bit traumatizing either...I literally kept waiting for something terrible to happen...but alas it was a very simple story), so I recommend it to our beginning to intermediate-low learners on the forums. Warning, that link basically tells the entire gist of the story though...
  • Like 1

Last movie I watched was 天下无贼 (a world without thieves).

I thought it was great, the actors were perfectly case, and the story was moving with some comedic moment. It also gave me the meme “我很生气, 后果很严重” which I have successfully used with my Chinese friends :)

• 2 weeks later...