Chinese-Forums

What was the last Chinese film you watched?

Chinadoog

I've watched a bunch of Andy Lau movies lately. Not really on purpose, can't say I really like the guy, but he is omnipresent. Thank you for the multiple 天下无贼 recommendations. I totally agree, great film. I watched it on Netflix. To my dismay it is an editted version, so I need to go back and watch the uncut one (it didn't even have the opening scene where she is teaching English). I also watched 狄仁杰之通天帝国. It focused more on 狄仁杰's 功夫 than his detective skills, which was disappointing, but still fun. And also 三国之见龙卸甲, which is a Three Kingdoms swordplay movie not unlike any other old China swordplay movie (maybe slightly more forgettable).

I also watched a couple Donnie Yen movies. 关云长 (Lost Bladesman) and 精武风云·陈真 (Return of the Legend of the Fist). The Legend of the Fist went for a Casablanca style that I found strange (example - Donnie Yen with a pencil thin moustache). But Donnie beats people up real good. At the end he fights a room full of people. And I mean a big room full of lots of people. Lost Bladesman was pretty dull, but it does have a cool scene where a guy chops his own head off.

I also watched 有话好好说 a few days ago, and was also getting nostalgic for that Beijing... Then I watched 我们俩 yesterday, and that was really just twisting the knife in the wound! Fantastic acting though, highly recommended!

I liked 狄仁杰之通天帝国 and 关云长. It's been a while since I've seen either of them, though. Actually, it's been a while since I've watched anything in Chinese lately. They may be the last two films I've seen. I knew having an American girlfriend would be bad for my language skills...

I watched 梅兰芳 and thought it was okay. The most interesting part was where he 'battled' his master's traditional style with a modern opera, it would have been nice if they would have shown more of that, I think. The later part with the one Japanese who comes to respect Chinese people through their superior culture was a bit too Huo Yuanjia-style nationalist, I think. (Also that Japanese guy looked weirdly un-Japanese.)

Just watched 武俠. Very cool flick. I agree with Skylee's comments, although I think I liked it even more. I was impressed that it managed to mix in some CSI stuff and and even a few guitar riffs without seeming ridiculous. Favorite action movie I have seen in a while.

Favorite action movie I have seen in a while.

Yes! I just watched the movie not too long ago & I agree! The only 'odd' thing is...well not odd, but let's just rephrase this to just a random observation...I kept thinking to myself while watching this, wow the village wife's putonghua is so standard...Maybe i just had a different image in my mind when I saw a 'countryside scene' ----and then the wife began to talk.....but of course I'm not complaining, just sayin....

• Like 1

I just watched Beijing Punk last night. Basically, it's a documentary about Beijing's underground punk scene, focusing mainly on three bands - Misandao, Demerit and Hedgehog. The movie might be of interest to those into the whole punk/skinhead thing, seeing how a subculture that has never been on good terms with authority fares in communist China's capital. Needless to say, it's banned in mainland China.

After the movie finished I talked to one of the staff members about the possibility of buying a DVD, since it's impossible to find it anywhere, and no major cinemas play it here (there was only two of us at the show), and, to my surprise, he told me they had received a phone call from the Chinese embassy inquiring why they project a banned movie and asking to take it off their screening list. To be honest, I was quite amused, yet also slightly alarmed, by this frantic display of diplomatic adequacy. This movie must have really rubbed the CPC the wrong way...

he told me they had received a phone call from the Chinese embassy inquiring why they project a banned movie and asking to take it off their screening list
The movie was shown in another country and the Chinese government felt it had any authority to have it banned even there?? Scary.

Well, they didn't exactly ask to have it banned, but demanded that the venue in question doesn't show it. Of course, they were told to, well, you know... Spite can sometimes be a wonderful thing.

I should point out that this is not technically a Chinese film, since it's produced by an Australian and is in English, having only been filmed in China.

I just watched Beijing Punk last night.

I haven't seen this one, I'll have to look into it.

I've seen "Beijing Bubbles", a German documentary covering the same topic, filmed about 5 years ago.

Is punk rock really banned now? Last time I was in Beijing, I went to D22, and managed to miss seeing Hedgehog play live in Shanghai. It was quite underground and sidelined, but not banned.