Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University Chinese Courses

roddy

@ MrE,

I am going to Tsinghua CLP this Spring 2015. Received my admission package already. Applied for my X Visa today, and it will be ready in 4 days. Intending to apply for on campus accomodation, but I heard it will be really competitive. I am from Indonesia. How about you?

Fun to hear! Actually I also received my admission package now, it came one hour after I wrote my post here so now I'm working on my visa. I also intend to apply for accomodation on campus and I've heard the same things as you about how tough it could be to get, but I'm hoping for the best. I am from Sweden.

@MrE, set up your WeChat if you haven't, apparently is the popular chat app in China, just like Whatsapp in other countries. If you want to add me, my Wechat ID is manampiring00

To all others who are already in Beijing.

It's in the news that gmail will be banned. Can somebody check whether it has been banned or will be banned? When? is banning means people with other email portal can send to gmail or can not? Obviously banning means people with gmail accouunt cant send/ receive emails there.

I am worried as my personal email is gmail. And it will be painful to change.

Ive been reading the forums on THU CLP and on getting accomodation off campus - and this site really a treasure.

Imelda

• Like 1

Hiks..hiks.. Kindly advise good VPN and the link to their site pls, or tell me how I can get one.

So, apparently those with email from own domain such as the university can still send emails to gmail. With VPN, I can keep my gmail, right? But, I will still need another one (yahoo is okay? or at risk of next ban) so that people on personal domains and dont have VPN can still send to me. Am I right?

Buddy Program. Did anybody here use this service? How did you find the buddies?

Cheers,

• Like 1

Okay, email ... gmail has been terrible here for a while and the webmail has been inaccessible for ages. You are referring to the fact that recently it also seems you cannot access your gmail account through third party email software like Thunderbird or Outlook. According to the news, this is true.

Your best bet is to just stop using Gmail while you are here. Switch to hotmail or yahoo. I am fairly sure you can set up your email account to forward all your emails to a different account. You can also just tell everyone to use your new email. Who can know what is at 'risk' of being blocked next?

As for VPN, generally people are reluctant to share theirs online so openly for fear it will get to popular and stop working. Just google VPN's and look on this site.

The Buddy Program is run by Tsinghua so, at some point during registration, it's likely you will either get an email on how to sign up or can sign up in person by entering your details. After that, they find you a buddy if one is available. I heard some buddies never replied and almost everyone I know met them once or twice then never again. Maybe your experience will be different. If you really want to find Chinese friends here, join a Tsinghua University hobby or sport club of something you already like to do or think you would (basketball, pingpong, chess, fencing, dancing etc) then your relationship isn't based on anyone learning a language so will likely last longer. Clubs are advertised at the begining of the semester with big tents near the dorms. You can't miss them.

As for accomodation being competitive, from these forums it seems that this is the case more and more. When I applied they had accomodation to spare but it seems more people want to study now AND i also heard they closed one of the foreign student accomodation buildings. More people, less accomodation. Just get online 5 minutes before the earliest possible time and sit there refreshing your browser intil registration opens. It is also pretty easy to find some kind of accomodation in Wudaokou or Liudaokou.

• Like 2

@ChTTay: thanks a mill, youve been very generous with info. Ive been reading your posts in several threads. Will continue to follow.

Anybody else joining Tsinghua Chinese this Spring 2015? Please shout!

Can I get info how much do the extra electives cost per semester? And how many session per week, howmany hours per session? I am interested in the pronounciation elective.

Rgds,

• Like 1

I can't give you information on elective prices, however, when I attended Tsinghua the elective classes were relatively expensive and not that frequent. If you are looking to practice pronunciation particularly, you can find a Chinese tutor of some kind for as little as 50rmb. These are sometimes student teachers themselves (studying teaching Chinese at BLCU). They can be a bit lacking with grammar explanations but for speaking practice and pronunciation they can be worthwhile. You also have to make sure you tell them you want them to be very strict with pronunciation or they might just let you off.

I would also suggest looking into courses offered at a few private schools around WUdaokou to supplement your studies if you feel you need to. A fair few students did an extra speaking or grammar course at Global English when I was at Tsinghua. It's above McDonalds in Wudaokou.

Personally, I felt Tsinghua gave me enough book work to do so didn't want another Chinese style class to attend. I did think having a tutor as well was very beneficial though.

I found mine by word of mouth recommendation. If you go to any cafe in Wudaokou or head to the BLCU canteen after lunch you can see many foreigners with tutors. You could just sit and subtly listen to their class for a bit then approach them afterward.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey!

I`m admitted to Fall 2015 as well and at the moment I am waiting for the admission package.

My question is: Which type of Visa will I get? The X1 or X2? The X1 seems to be more comfortable...but one semester is under 180 days...so they will send me the documents for an X2 Visa?

Thanks!! :-)

Greetings from Germany

I`m admitted to Fall 2015 as well and at the moment I am waiting for the admission package.

My question is: Which type of Visa will I get? The X1 or X2? The X1 seems to be more comfortable...but one semester is under 180 days...so they will send me the documents for an X2 Visa?

Hey,

Look forward to meeting you.

I guess it depends on how long you plan to study. I think the admission package will have both the JW Forms and the Admissions notice which are required for the X1. The X2 on the otherhand only needs the Admission notice.

Something to consider is for the X1 visa you need to apply for a Residence Permit within 15 days of arrival (Stated on the Admissions notice). This means you can't arrive too early in advance before the registration date at Tsinghua (7/8 September).

I've already finalised my visa (X2) since I'll be away from my home country before I arrive in China (August). In my case <180 days is plenty time for the semester plus leisure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you been to University before or this is your first experience?

If you are in a single dorm room at University you won't be alone necessarily. Everyone is in the same situation as you. The first week or two you can essentially talk to anyone and it's not weird. Especially your neighbours. Once class starts you can also make friend ls with classmates.

It's really easy, don't worry about that side of things.

Should you arrive early and need company, every Thursday night at Red House in WUDAOKOU there is a couch surfers meeting. You could easily go for a beer and meet some new friends.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hello, I'm wondering how hard it is to get into Tsinghua CLP and english masters program (Environmental Engineering). I recently graduated with a B.S. Biomedical Engineering in the states and decided to take a half year off. I'm thinking about spending Spring to learn Chinese and then go to graduate school in Fall 2016 so I'm wondering how hard it is to get in these programs. 

• 6 months later...