Chinese-Forums

Random Character of the Day

Tomsima

On 8/31/2023 at 10:44 PM, Lu said:

This word is apparently not as rare as one would think. At least not on this forum ?

Which novel did you see it in?

Hah, search function must be borked as I did try checking. It was in 李乔's 荒村, one of his trilogy on Taiwanese colonial history.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 11:41 PM, Jim said:

search function must be borked

I had the same problem with searching for another rare character recently. From a bit of testing, it seems like any search term under 4 characters returns no results (119 results for hats, 0 results for hat). It's pretty common for site search functions to disallow searches under a certain length, and often that minimum length doesn't work well for Chinese, but at least it should be showing an error message rather than "0 results"... paging @roddy?

• Like 1

One wonders why 馘 came to be preferred over 聝 for a character that means 割取敌人的左耳,用以计数报功. I wonder if it's because the important thing is that the ear represents the heads you have taken in battle, the decapitated head being the emphasised thing not the ear itself...

On 9/1/2023 at 5:33 AM, Demonic_Duck said:

It's pretty common for site search functions to disallow searches under a certain length, and often that minimum length doesn't work well for Chinese, but at least it should be showing an error message rather than "0 results"

The forums are best searched through Google, basically. Type site:chinese-forums.com and then the search term to search only the forums and not the rest of the internet.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:38 PM, Lu said:

The forums are best searched through Google, basically. Type site:chinese-forums.com and then the search term to search only the forums and not the rest of the internet.

That's how I found the post I was looking for in the end. I don't mind the in-site search function being less powerful than Google, that's expected, just it'd be nice if it showed an error message on invalid input rather than showing wrong info.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

堃 and its variant 坤 which apparently means earth in something called the Eight Trigrams, but I saw it appear in a name of a company. Generally names is where I encounter the most unknown characters and I’m not sure how to approach memorizing those ..

On 10/23/2023 at 5:37 AM, jannesan said:

堃 and its variant 坤

Strictly speaking, It would be more accurate to say that 堃 is a variant of 坤, rather than the other way around.

(坤 being the conventional 八卦 name for the notion of pure Yin 阴, the cosmic force that finds concrete form in 地, the earth, and that contrasts with pure Yang 阳, which is instead embodied in 天, the sky, and called 乾.)

• Helpful 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

very interesting, seems like the 皿 corrupted into 山 in most other cases (eg 密). Hate to be the sui generis party pooper, but apparently 㴵 is a thing (https://ctext.org/dictionary.pl?if=gb&char=%E3%B4%B5)

On 3/29/2024 at 1:02 PM, Tomsima said:

Hate to be the sui generis party pooper

Not at all! Thanks for sleuthing up 㴵 and suggesting a corruption is at play. I'm persuaded that's the case here. 

I'll note that 㴵 seems obsolete in Modern Standard Mandarin, whereas 谧 is still productive in a handful of different adjectives (so still potentially useful if you're writing something fancy).

憇 qì = (to) rest

Variant of 憩, itself likely derived from 恬 (tián: quiet, calm) + 息 (xī: rest, break).

Worth noting that the 舌 in 恬 is actually a contraction of 甜, so the variant (which doesn't appear to be a recent simplification) isn't entirely without merit.