Chinese-Forums

Random Character of the Day

Tomsima

chuai1, to unblock a drain with a suction pump.

It is most commonly seen in the word 皮搋子, which means "rubber suction pump". Actually I heard that word hundreds of times, but I never bothered checking the character till today. It seems not many Chinese know that character either.

• Like 1

first time for me coming across the word, I presume it's the Chinese equivalent of 'plunger', but having little reason to talk about plumbers in Chinese I've just never studied it before. Interestingly, my wife didn't know the word or the character, and appears to never have used a plunger before either! So now I'm left wondering where others/you have heard this word hundreds of times before, are you a plumber by trade?

I remember looking up that word a few years ago, finding 搋子, attempting to use the word, not being understood, and eventually being told that people usually just call it 塞马桶的. But it looks like it might just be one of those words with a million different ways of saying it. Baidu Baike also lists 马桶拔子、厕所泵、水拔子, and the delightful 拔粪宝.

• Like 2

瀫

just got this in the phrase 波瀫鄰鄰 pop up later in my book on tea, onomatopoeic water sound hu2, looks pretty intimidating, and not in my ms kaiti font on pleco which usually suggests its a pretty rare character.

If anybody can type out my character, that would be nice. I can't seem to find it. Specifically the one that looks like da or ta and is between the 将 and 念 and 放. My Chinese friend suggested it could be a variant on 疙瘩. It's from chapter three of 三遂平妖传, the original 罗贯中 recension.

16019531858796175831543894120890.jpg

Here we go: ?

Unicode.org's radical search is my go-to for this kind of look up, although the site is suffering security errors and broken images at the moment. Bear in mind that's the 肉 radical, not 月, and it's just a stroke-counting exercise from there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 2

Yeah, but that site does the same for 腥, which is surely 肉? The plot remains, like my morning porridge, thin.

In fact, that site finds a mere 28 meaty characters, and 1323 lunar ones. Compare to Unicode where... well, they don't give numbers but they look to be roughly the opposite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

甪 lu4

came up in the word 甪端, the name of a mythical beast who had the power to detect truth or lies, and can run very fast apparently. It often appears depicted in the form of bronzes, censors.

legend has it 秦始皇 wanted a mythical beast, and so this hybrid was found/created. A minister named it 角端 which apparently wasn't good enough, so 角 was changed to 甪 as the beast was a 獨角 (角 -> 甪 is supposedly removing one of the horns)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...