Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

名宿 -- saw this in an obit post for a former famous football coach (and player in his day), means famous veteran, think it's used most often for sportspeople these days. Looking it up found there's a word 宿儒 meaning similar for scholars.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jim said:

名宿 -- saw this in an obit post for a former famous football coach (and player in his day), means famous veteran, think it's used most often for sportspeople these days. Looking it up found there's a word 宿儒 meaning similar for scholars.

That’s really cool. I didn’t know about this before.

One that has stuck to my mind recently is 黥首刖足. In the context of ancient China, this phrase refers to a kind of punishment toward criminals, in which the punisher would tattoo the face of the criminal with black ink, and sever off his/her feet. Kind of gruesome, I know ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is "pun of the day" okay?

Regarding the whole Xinjiang cotton thing and the stock rise of Li-Ning, I came across this pun today. Kinda embarrassed about how long it took me to get it

以前是没钱买李宁, 现在是没钱买李宁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

锂离子电池 lǐ lí zǐ diàn chí      lithium ion battery

盘式制动器 pán shì zhì dòng qì       disk brake

鼓式制动器 gǔ shì zhì dòng qì      drum brake

瓦特 wǎ tè      watt (loanword)

安培 ān péi     ampere (loanword)

安培小时 ān péi xiǎo shí      ampere-hour (Ah)

牌照 páizhào          license plate 

居住证明 jū zhù zhèng míng        residence certificate

You can probably guess what I went shopping for today... ?

居住证明 was the thing I had to get from the local police station to prove I live here, as opposed to the thing in my passport which allows me to do so. 

So it's a certificate or proof, 证明, rather than the permit itself. Actually now I look at it, it also uses the term 证件.

Because I live in the college where I work, they are responsible for registering us teachers with the PSB.  When this wasn't the case (previously I worked in Beijing) I registered myself at the local police station and already had a piece of paper for this, although it looked completely different. 

4 hours ago, Tomsima said:

I've only ever heard 居留证

I think 居留许可 is the more common name for this, at least in spoken Chinese, because it disambiguates from the identical-sounding 拘留证 (certificate of detention).

@Demonic_Duck Interesting, I've always thought of it the other way round, 居留证 quicker to say than 居留许可, so used more often in spoken from what I'm used to hearing at least.

As for bike helmets, I'm used to just 帽子 + context for spoken style, 头盔 a little more formal/accurate 

8 hours ago, Demonic_Duck said:

I think 居留许可 is the more common name for this, at least in spoken Chinese

Yes, in formal language too — this is what is written on the actual residence permit in my passport.

Or rather: 中华人民共和国外国人居留许可。