Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

• 3 weeks later...

双氧水 -- Hydrogen Peroxide

I had an ear infection (耳朵感染 ... second random word :P ) a couple weeks ago, and had to look this one up to run around asking pharmacists if they stock it. Curiously enough, I could not find a single pharmacy in Shanghai that stocks 双氧水。

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

假jiă,装模作样zhuāng mú zuò yàng,actually this is "two words" but both can be used as making some revolting affectations in the way one acts or speaks. I actually saw this in some people and even in some Chinese English learners.

火柴 huo3chai2 match

Now how did I make it through ten years of learning Chinese and over three years living in greater China without ever learning the word 'match'? I had to mime it to the guy in the shop just now. (And then he didn't have them, so I ended up buying a 打火机 anyway.)

So I wasn't going to add this expression before, but now I have seen it enough times while reading the news that I figure it should at least be added to this random list:

霸王硬上弓: ba4wang2ying4shang4gong1: http://baike.baidu.com/view/206.htm which basically refers to rape

I came across the term in this article today

火柴 huo3chai2 match

Now how did I make it through ten years of learning Chinese and over three years living in greater China without ever learning the word 'match'? I had to mime it to the guy in the shop just now. (And then he didn't have them, so I ended up buying a 打火机 anyway.)

Also, Lu, Here's a song for you:火柴天堂

• 2 weeks later...

坚壁清野 - Strengthen defence works, evacuate non-combatants, hide provisions and livestock, and clear away all surrounding trees and cabins.

Back when I was first learning Chinese, we had a long-standing game to see who could find the most obscure/bizarre chengyu in the dictionary (the little red pocket oxford english-chinese, chinese-english dictionary to be precise) and one of my friends found this one. We found it quite amusing that this single word could contain so much oddly specific meaning when translated into English.

Today, some 9-10 years later, I came across this word in the book I was reading, which just goes to show, no matter how random and pointless you think a word might be, if you learn it, it will eventually come in useful :D

Edited by imron
changed translation to match dictionary entry
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

都市玉男 -- metrosexual.

As least I assume those are the characters, I was only going by the pinyin.

From this article http://www.bloomberg...eal-creams.html , talking about the rise of men in China using creams and other treatments. [Full disclosure: I use 3-4 different types of creams per day too..... Especially when the weather is cold, it was -10 F when we left the house this morning!]