Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

港漂 - rootless/drifter in HK (mainland people who study in HK / mainland people who stay to work in HK after completion of such study)

I came across this term today having read wushijiao's recent post -

One good thing about HK is that if you get an MA (or above) from a Hong Kong university, you can then get hired by local firms as if you were a local (in other words, they don't have to prove to the immigration officials that your position was so special that they couldn't have hired locally).

And here is a good feature story about 港漂 in Mingpao Weekly -> 80后 港漂

I also knew the word 自闭症... I vaguely remember, that there was an advanced Chinesepod lesson with the same name...

Anyways, since we brought the topic of phobias up, I also encountered one today, in the 《杜拉拉升职记》movie...

幽闭恐惧症 claustrophobia

菠菜 = bōcài = spinach

It is also the Chinese slang for policemen in Germany (who actually wear green uniforms).

Reminds me of being in Quebec with Chinese friends. In French, the natives of Quebec call themselves "Quebecois". In Chinese, my friends, rather than calling them 魁北克人, call them 魁北瓜, as in 傻瓜的瓜。 haha. Obviously to poke fun at them.