Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

奧特萊斯 (ào​tè​lái​sī​) -- it's a loanword (from English, I assume). See if you can guess it without looking it up. [And if you already know you can't play :P]

Hint: it has to do with retail.

Very nice though!

OK, we now know jbradfor has a penchant for Dennis Rodman.

Anyway, for the sake of keeping this on topic, I present 耷拉 (dāla) droop (eg. one's head) as my modest offering.

renzhe, I like your version more :P

Actually, I take back my previous comment. Now that I'm at home (and not at work :o) I can try to see what all the pictures are about. Dennis Rodman's nickname was "The Worm", and it seems that his nickname in China is 大虫. And it seems all the women in the pictures (showing lots of cleavage, hence my initial confusion) have "something" to do with Dennis Rodman.

Also weird, 大虫 and 大蟲 give very different results, which is unusual for google.

Edit: anonymoose, no, not those pictures!

• 1 month later...

Ok, here's a really random one (link to unihan, as the forums doesn't like supplementary plane characters). Not even sure what to make of that :blink:

I came across it while looking for another character ('土'字旁一个'劳')that doesn't seem to exist anywhere except in the book 《平凡的世界》, which would appear to be the simplified form of this character (once again need to link to unihan). However the simplified form doesn't seem to exist anywhere, not even find it in Unihan! They managed to print it out in the book however.

Not a very useful word, perhaps, but I found it strange that Wikipedia has an entry on this in classical Chinese even though there is no entry in modern Chinese. Can anyone judge how authentic the classical Chinese is?

That's in pretty good classical Chinese, I'd say :)

Here's a word that I'm still not sure how to translate: 拆字游戏

This is explained as: 所谓的拆字游戏要求参加者在不同的纸条上写下主语、状语、谓语、宾语,纸条和词组都多多益善,纸条与词组越多组合成的句子也越多,变化也越大。

Sounds like a fun way to learn Chinese (although in the story, this is played by a couple of Chinese friends), but I don't think I've ever heard of anything similar in the West. It shouldn't be too difficult, though - we could do that in English as well. Anyone?

Here's a beauty . . . 灵柩, linǵjiù - a coffin . . . WITH A CORPSE IN!

Came across your recent word Roddy & thought of you :P :

孙策换回黄祖,迎接灵柩,罢战回江东,葬父于曲阿之原。丧事已毕,引军居江都,招贤纳士,屈己待人,四方豪杰,渐渐投之。不在话下。

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note, before you get the 灵柩, you need to 入殓,rù​liàn​, that is put a dead body into a coffin

& I'm adding this Chengyu b/c it just came up in a conversation: 红杏出墙 hóng​xìng​chū​qiáng​ lit. the red apricot tree leans over the garden wall / a wife having an illicit lover (idiom)