Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

暴发户: bao4fa1hu4. Means nouveau riche/newly rich. But in Chinese it has a negative connotation- new money but no taste/culture. Fun word.
I remember I learned that word from 流星花园 since that's what F4 always referred to 青和 as :P

My word for today is 骨牌which I happened to come across here:

埃及变天 中东国家忧骨牌

In my opinion, "nouveau riche" doesn't neccessarily have negative connotations. It really depends on how it's used. But on the other hand, in the UK at least, these days labeling anyone "rich" often has negative connotations.

• Like 1

I think nouveau riche has a negative connotation. It was originally used by the "old money" to dismiss the "new upstarts". For example, from here: "Meaning:[count] disapproving : a person who has recently become rich and who likes to spend a lot of money". Or from here: "When the oligarchs of the former Soviet Union first burst out beyond their own borders, they were Marxist caricatures of the nouveau riche, purchasing yachts and sports teams, and surrounding themselves with couture-clad supermodels. "

I didn't expect to start a discussion on nouveau riche here! I apologise for my badly placed 'but'.

In my opinion 'nouveau riche' and 'new money' often have negative connotations but 'newly rich' is more neutral. I think it depends a lot on the context in which it is spoken/used(like a lot of things in the English language).

For me, the new words of the day were actually this line of a poem, "Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink". The moment I saw it, instantly the Cantonese saying 蜑家雞見水 came up in my head. And I think that some of you probably have not seen the term 蜑 ( dan4) 家, which means people who live on boats and make a living by fishing.

That tattoo looks like 犧牲, the traditional version to me, though. The difference is in the bottom part of the right part of 犧. In Japanese, it's just 我, but in traditional, it has 禾, 丂 and then the rest of 我 (which I guess would be 戈).

谂熟 shĕnshú

know something or somebody well; be familiar with; have an intimate knowledge of

这时刚才那个部门经理崔生走了出来,看样子是要赶出去办事的,但一出来见到他们这般的谂熟神情有点惊讶,此人向他点了点头,他也点了点头,但豹却没怎么留意得到,豹还以为这经理是向自己打招呼的,也跟着点了点头。

From here.

Shoot, you're right, Glenn. It's 犧牲, not 犠牲. Heh, I had originally seen the tattoo from this image (which is not as clear), assumed the phonetic was 義, and looked up the character formed by 牛 and 義, which as it turns out is indeed a Japanese variant of 牺. Funny how that worked out.

• 2 weeks later...