Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

贺岁片 -- A New Year's film. I assume the type of film one watches at home with one's family during the New Year break. Similar, I guess, to our "Christmas Specials"?

[Note: the context to this was someone was describing a film about a Chinese man that goes to the USA and drives around in an RV(?) for 10 years. Then a Chinese woman comes to the USA and he tries to help her. Hilarity ensues. Anyone know the name of the film?]

贺岁片 -- A New Year's film. I assume the type of film one watches at home with one's family during the New Year break

Not quite - they're big cinema releases pitched for the CNY crowds. The early ones might have been shown on TV, I don't know.

The Film: 不见不散

This is one of my favourite Chinese films. Corny and cheesy in parts, but also full of laughs. The ending is a classic (no one dies either).

My region isn't participating in 全球变暖 this year. In fact, this 春天 has been the mildest 冬天 we've ever had

So what you're saying is that instead of participating in 全球变暖, the region is participating in 气候变化.

Really? Minnesota too? By the way, it's been about 95°F/35°C here since the middle of February. Sometimes it rains, and that feels good, but not much. Anyway, the official beginning of summer for us didn't mean anything other than the longest day of the year.

On the 蚊子/state bird topic, I will share our 'state insect'.

蜉蝣 fú​yóu​ aka Mayflies. but everyone I know in MI calls them fishflies

Well not really a state insect (we definitely have 蚊子 although I have had the 'luxury' of basically only visiting home in the dead of winter for X number of years hehe so I avoided 'em), but growing up these little fishflies would suddenly appear everywhere nearby lakes during the summer...and then you would have to spend the next few days walking across their carcasses...eeewww *crackle* crack * crackle*.

. (Other than you may slip and fall on the sidewalk from them or possibly inhale one, they are harmless and fun though (to throw at younger siblings and such)