Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

One for the 'makes perfect sense' category: 沘, Bǐ, the name of a river in Yunnan.
In that same category, Yunnan also features 洱海湖, pronounced just as you expect.

Today I learned:

血小板 xuèxiǎobǎn blood platelets

肾 shèn kidneys

肝 gān liver (ok I already knew that one)

抽血 chōuxuè (or was it chōuxuě) take blood sample

肌酸酐 jīsuāngān creatinin (the higher it is in your blood, the worse your kidneys are working)

So I have this friend, she's in the hospital and her parents don't speak anything but Chinese so they asked me to interpret.

bookmarked a few on my phone while reading....let's see here:

1. 名媛: 名媛 míng yuán young lady of note / debutante

Ex:  名媛帕里斯身穿度假风长裙现身,头戴花朵装发饰度假装扮十分清新。

Source 

2. 松糕鞋: 鬆糕鞋 sōng gāo xié platform shoes

Ex: “上海电视节视后”陈数一身靓装现身街头。陈数身穿吕燕品牌Comme Moi浅蓝色长袖翻领套裙,腰系棕色腰带,手提Alexander McQueen黑色手袋,脚踩Stella McCartney银色松糕鞋,OL装扮就该如此,简约时髦又知性。

Source

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

飲水思源 yǐn shuǐ sī yuán

When you drink water, think of where it comes from

Originally meaning one should have gratitude for the source of one's benefit, this phrase become trendy in Hong Kong when a Legislative Council member used it to chide people who complain about the Hong Kong government continuing to buy fresh water from the mainland.

Recently, it is discovered that lead content in tap water at several housing estates in Hong Kong is over health standard limit. Several newspapers used 飲水思鉛 ("When you drink water, consider its lead content") in their headlines (note: 源 yuán and 鉛 qiān has the same pronunciation in Cantonese).

• 4 weeks later...

施黛 - put on makeup (literally paint the eyebrows)

The caption of an exhibition says, “漢代貴族婦女對梳妝也甚為講究,施黛成風……“ and the English version goes, "Noble women of Han were particular about their appearance, thus makeup was all the rage."

花生友 - 剝花生看熱鬧的人

The connection here with "peanut gallery" did not pop into my head when I first saw this post but it did just now. Although they are not the same type of term at all, it is interesting that there is a certain element there that converges, and that peanuts are used for both. I have not found an etymological explanation for 花生友 but I am interested now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

if https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E4%BB%99%E4%BA%BA%E6%8E%8C is correct:

仙人 ("immortal" since cacti are resistant to harsh weather and live a long time) + 掌 ("palm", since some cacti resemble hands)

However someone on baidu http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/22974146.html reckons it was originally a life-saving plant given to a young chap by an immortal; a nasty emperor wanted the plant and when he reached out to touch it it grew spikes which hurt his hand; he ate it anyway and it killed him; because it has leaves like a hand palm and was given by an immortal, so it gets that name.

• Like 1