Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@Luxin Aw mate, of all our CSI odysseys yours seems to be one of the most frustrating and unlucky ones! I also think you should try whatever you can at this point. If your CI thinks applying at two different unis, why not? However, if I were you I'd first try to identify the error. I'm still completely confused about how you "don't fulfil the academic requirements". Do you have HSKK? Do you have recommendations? Did you upload all the official transcripts and everything?

I'd suggest contacting them and ask politely about their decision, why they didn't think you would be suitable, are there other programmes they think you would be better suited for so you can apply at other unis and not fail with your application for the exact same reason. What did your CI have to say about this? Do they have a clearer idea as to why you were rejected?

• Like 1

@Jellyfish

I couldn't imagine it would be that frustrating. 

◎ I have HSKK 83/100.

◎ I submitted the official transcript in English.

◎ My major is electronics and automation engineering. Not chinese philology... 

◎ I also submitted the diploma with an official sworn translation into English. 

◎ + Extra documents

◎ I APPLIED FOR TCSOL 

I guess the problem here is TCSOL, Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other languages. However, in the application form there is a part which says: do you want to apply for the teacher education/training program? I marked NO. 

So I wonder if I should had applied for any other program. In that case which one for 1 year? Or apply TCSOL and say YES to the training program. 

This is very discouraging. 

• Like 1

I actually don't know much about the TCSOL program but I had a dig through the forum and found this: Apparently, according to @LinZhenPu, you now need to fall into one of three categories if you want to study TCSOL this year:

1)来华进修的在职汉语教师;
2)预备攻读汉语国际教育本科的孔子学院(课堂)注册学员;
3)汉语言专业学生

@Luxin maybe you just don't fall into any of these categories? But also, I do share your suspicion that not ticking the box that you want to continue with the teacher training course might have been a reason for disqualification. Apparently:

On 06/05/2017 at 6:18 AM, 方茹婷 said:

it's like a "prep program" for the MTCSOL

Maybe both @LinZhenPu and 方茹婷 could have a look at your case and give an opinion? They seem to know a bit more about TCSOL than I do.

• Like 2

@Jellyfish Effectively, I don't fall into any of those categories. Now it makes sense to me the comment I got in my status...

By the way, I can't submit a new application because they have my passport number in their database and the website doesn't let me to register it again. So I bet I'm done. 

@Luxin That really sucks. Someone DID say though that you can delete your application and submit another one - or was that you? Maybe I'm mixing things up now. Anyway, before giving up altogether though I'd try to contact your CI and your chosen uni and ask if they would accept you for another major (you're 100% qualified for the one year study of whatever subject other than TCSOL your uni offers). I know it says you can't change your major after applying and I don't know exactly how you'd get your application to Hanban but it's worth asking. Always, always worth asking.

• Like 1

It was not me, I'm going to search that now. The question is, to contact my chosen uni or contact Hanban China? because if the decision of rejecting me comes from Hanban the university has nothing to do, I guess.

@Luxin Ah, I see, that was a misunderstanding on my part! I thought it was the uni that rejected you. In that case I suppose contact Hanban, explain that you realised - too late - that your status means you don't qualify for TCSOL and that you would accept any major they think you qualify for, if both they and your host uni would agree to change your major. I've never spoken to Hanban directly before and don't know how approachable they are but hey, what do you have to lose?

@Luxin You could contact them, say what I said before (about you only realising about the 3 categories too late) and that you'd be happy to accept Chinese Language and Culture or any other major at any university that hasn't filled their quota yet? I guess you need to decide how much you want to go to China (ie how important are major and location to you)... Tough situation :conf

@Luxin Hi! I also applied to 北京外国语大学 as my second choice, also chose TCSOL and one-year. I'm still on the third step and my scores are quite similiar to yours. I ticked yes for the teacher training program, because I definitely want to continue studying on the MTCSOL. 
I believe this TCSOL is new this year (as a major) and for me, it seems to be a prep program for those who want to study MTCSOL later. I guess they'll also teach you Chinese language because what else would you learn for one year? They need HSK 3 (270 points) and as I saw, there is no other possible major which teaches ONLY Chinese language...so that was quite confusing for me as well (and still is :D ). 
My status changed this Monday, after I politely pushed my CI to finally do something for like several days. There was no other change this week, but I'll write an email to each of the universities, and we will see. I hope you get accepted to your second choice and who knows, maybe we will be classmates from September. :D 

• Like 2

Okay, I've just checked my application status and it went back to the first step and it says: 请提供本科学习成绩单 (于美英). What the....

Edit: I uploaded my transcripts....my scores weren't the best during my uni years so I hope this won't be an obstacle in getting the scholarship 
:lol:

• Like 2

I have something important to share with you:

To provide Chinese language and literature, Chinese history and advanced courses in Chinese philosophy to students and scholars who wish to engage in Chinese translation studies and Sinology studies. Applicants should reach HSK4 180 and HSKK intermediate. According to the country, the registration level and the level of Chinese, the applicants will respectively be provide a full scholarship or part of the scholarship.

TCSOL is for 
1. in-service Chinese teachers.
2. students with relevant Chinese majors and intending to get bachelor degree or master degree of TCSOL.

This is the new CIS. Make your own conclusions…

• Like 1

@Jellyfish Actually it has been there since the very beggining. I don't know why nobody noticed it before.  It's in cis.chinese.cn  Application guide.

3.2  向有志于从事汉语翻译、汉学研究的学生和学者分别提供汉语言文学、中国历史、中国哲学高级课程。申请者HSK成绩应达到四级180分,HSKK达到中级。按国别、报名先后和汉语水平高低分别提供全额奖学金或部分奖学金。

The HSK3 270 requirements is for TCSOL.

• Like 1

@Luxin  You're right! :shock: How weird, I don't know why I never noticed this before. It's also kind of beyond me why my CI and my uni recommended me when they clearly saw I don't fultil the criteria? Alas, at least now it won't come as a huge shock when Hanban turn me down. Here's hoping for my CSC application (although that, too, is looking less than promising...).

Yeah, but these two are different majors: one is TCSOL with the requirement of HSK 3 270 points, the other one is 汉语言文学 (Chinese language and literature)、中国历史 (Chinese history)、中国哲学高级课程 (Chinese philosophy) with HSK4 180 points.
Still, it's not quite clear as to what one should choose if she/he only wants to learn Chinese language and doesn't want to continue to study for a Ba or Ma degree. Cuz it seems like they don't have this kind of category...HSK4 is a bit high for those who are only on HSK2 and only want to learn the language...

@方茹婷 The problem is that this year there isn't  Chinese language program for 1 academic year. Instead that there is the new TCSOL. The intentions of Hanban are clearly reflected, to reduce the number of random applicants and, of course, encourage people to take the Master degree program.

There is still the Chinese Language program for 4-weeks program.