Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@emstarrz if you were accepted by a different university that shouldn't be a problem. I have never taken any HSK tests myself either.

@shuoshuo I don't think any scholarships provide funding for the flights, you do receive a 1500RMB relocation payment which you could put towards the flight. $2000 seems very expensive. I have found them from the UK for about £500, maybe look around a bit more.

My status just changed.

“奖学金资格评审中”- 授予奖学金

(意见:授予2013年孔子学院奖学金)2013年度获得全额奖学金

I didn't think it would change today anymore because it's so late, but I guess they might be trying to do as many people as they can today.

it makes me wonder if applying directly through csc would mean higher chances of getting into the university of your choice.

@SuEn - i applied for the half a year language exchange. I wouldn't have a clue, sorry. even though i was selected to go to nankai, i am unable to go as I did not do the HSK (a pre-requisite apparently), which also makes me wonder why they have offered me the place in the first place.

Today is the 15th. My application still say no update on the scholarship. Only the university accepted me. Does that mean it won't be changing anymore and I am not getting the scholarship? What are my chances? I didn't really score high enough for one year, even though I applied for it anyways. I only score the minimum for the semester.

What is this CSC scholarship?

• New Members

Well, I've got similar situation as Lasse. I applied for 1 semester scholarship, but i've chosen spring semester instead of autumn one. I received a message:

申请进度:“奖学金资格评审中”- 授予奖学金

(意见:授予2013年孔子学院奖学金)2014年度获得全额奖学金。

接收院校:厦门大学

I'm curious- does it mean i'll receive full scholarship for spring semester? Also, when does semester start?

@emstarrz - many universities tend to favour early applications. Did you apply early? I don't know about getting your first choice had you applied to CSC, through my personal experience and also many of the people I know, many of us didn't get the universities we wanted. But I think that if you applied with an admissions notice then you'll have a better chance at getting the university you want.

@amvtop10 - if your university accepted you then chances are you got the scholarship from CIS. It is quite unlikely that CIS will reject your application. The CSC is the 'China Scholarship Council' and they provide thousands of scholarships to China each year. Even larger than the CIS. The CIS offers scholarships to students wanting to study Mandarin or get a degree in Mandarin. The CSC funds scholarships for any course you want to study in China. It could be Medicine, Engineering, Arts, Languages, etc. They also fund short courses, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate.

@cymi - yes, it seems you were accepted for the Spring semester scholarship which probably begins early 2014. Contact Xiamen University to ask them for the starting date, unless they send your admissions package early then you will know the details.

• Like 1

If the university accepted me, then why have not my status changed? It does not say anything about me getting the scholarship? I see some people here status updated. I feel like I am not going to get anything and lose all hope. It is June 16 today, pass the deadline. I also looked that after the grant, they need to prepare for their stuff like the visa. If I am not notify about the grant then I can't prepare for the visa and stuff and getting ready by June 31. So I do not think I got the scholarship. Sucks.

@shuoshuo - Thanks. Still no change in your status? It seems like there are people without HSK who still get the scholarship. Maybe they're just trying to find you a different university. If you didn't get this one, good luck with CSC!

@emstarrz - Oh ok, that makes sense, there are different quotas for one semester and one year. Too bad Nankai can't take you, I hope you get to go somewhere nice.

@amvtop10 - Did you try emailing the university? Or your recommending institution? I would try the university first, they should've been notified by now (at least my university has up-to-date information). I agree with shuoshuo, I've been told that once you get accepted by the university, it's pretty much a done deal.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who got the scholarship! :)

Thanks for the link Maline. I guess having seen my name there makes everything official. It appears I am the only one from the Philippines in XiaDa. Perhaps most of those who got similar scholarships chose Sun Yat Sen University in Guangzhou instead. Anyway, see you all in Xiamen guys! Congratulations to everyone who won a scholarship!!!

Question: Can we apply again next year if we already won this year? Mine is just for one semester.

Noob question by the way. What happens next? I never really submitted any document to XiaDa. I submitted all documents at the Confucius Institute I was attending. Do I have to send an individual application to XiaDa like any other language studenrt would? Or would CIS handle all the registration procedures?

Hi guys. Well done to those that got their scholarship. I checked my status and it says this

申请进度:“奖学金资格评审中”- 授予奖学金

(意见:符合孔子学院奖学金要求,授予奖学金。)2013年度获得全额奖学金。

接收院校:南京师范大学

which is a little different from everyone else. I applied for the semester scholarship but plan to stay a year (I didn't have enough chinese to do the higher HSK test for the full year scholarship) now I'm confused as to whether I've got my scholarship and if it's for the semester or the whole year.

Thanks again

Andy

@ihcahieh - The university has access to your application, you do not have to send it again. I have no experience with XiaDa, but some universities send out an email to inform you of the scholarship and in the next few weeks they should be sending the acceptance letters and the foreign student visa application forms. I am in touch with my university because I needed to change the delivery address and they told me they will be sending the stuff out at the beginning of July by EMS. You need the acceptance letter and the form from them to apply for the student visa, if you're going only for a semester you probably won't need to do the foreigner physical examination form, but you have to check with the Chinese embassy in your country and the university will also send you some information on that. I am not sure if you can apply again for the same scholarship, you'll have to ask your CI or the university, but the applications are accepted only once a year, I've never heard of people applying in the Fall for the the Spring semester or something like that. If you want to somehow extend your scholarship, again, you need to ask your CI or the university if that is even possible.

@andrewa5736a - It's funny it doesn't say anywhere for how long it is, but I would assume it is the kind we applied for. You should confirm with the university or your CI.

@amvtop10 - The school year begins some time around mid-September this year (for most universities). If the results are a bit late, you'll still have some time to prepare. But I definitely see where you're coming from, bad news or good news they really should just tell us already.

@Lasse - Tongji! Wow, you're so lucky. You're going to love Shanghai, and Tongji is such a wonderful university.

@ihcahieh - As long as you keep your grades up you will be able to apply to CIS and other scholarships. Congrats! :)

My status has just changed. It says "adjusting" and I can see that they are trying to see if another university will accept my application. So clearly I was not accepted by either my first and second choice. I'm glad CIS is still trying though.

That said, if I am successful in both my applications to CIS and CSC, that will be a true dilemma. But better both than none!