Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University Fall/Autumn 2010

bunny87

OK fellas, looks like there's already bunch of us willing to join the email group... So let's start it...

I just sent an email to tvv and Scarlett who both provided their emails. Whoever wants to join, either PM me (if it's already avaialable), or leave your email address here in the thread or write to one of the emails above and we'll put you in.

If you want to join the emailing list, please email the people above - 'add me' posts are just getting deleted.

I'd strongly recommend someone starts a new topic in the Beijing subforum - it's not just Tsinghua people looking for accommodation this time of year and you'll massively increase your chances of finding suitable places, plus be more likely to get advice from people already in Beijing.

hey guys! i'm new here and i'm heading to tsinghua, like all of you, in the fall of 2010. which is why i'm posting my first post here!

building on your topic... i suggest for more of you to try and check on the thutraining.com more often.. rooms do open up as me and my friend have successfully booked rooms by rechecking the site on a constant basis (15 times a day?)..

My first post too! thanks Scarlett for telling me about this forum. I'm going to be flying in around the 1st of September hopefully. Thought I should give myself time to get situated before school starts.

Does anyone know how the international dorms are set up? And do I need to buy converter plugs for my chargers?

thanks in advance for the help :D

@ Caelum305: Yes, you will need converters for your appliances (assuming they weren't all bought in China), but there are loads of electrical stores around, you can pick them up fairly cheap, it's not a problem.

@ Everyone who applied for accommodation: One week of waiting down, one more to go until confirmation. Who knows what complications the accommodations office will think of next week :/

on my page it says that i have signed up for "an AB room (unsuccessful)".. but somewhere else it says i have signed up for "an AB room (unconfirmed)"... do you guys have this problem?

which program are you guys enrolled in? anyone by chance in the school of economics and management? :)

@firstinfantry: In regards to the "AB room (unsuccessful)" and "AB room (unconfirmed)" I'm getting both of those messages too but for the single room. I know when I first signed up I was getting the 'room (unconfirmed)' message but don't remember if the 'room (unsuccessful)' message also appeared or not. In either case both messages are there now and I have no idea as to the status so I guess I'll wait another week to see what happens....Sigh.

Hey Firstinfantry.

Did you sign up for multiple rooms at once? I logged on at 9:05pm on the first morning and only signed up for one room , also I e-mailed them just to make sure.

The single room I signed up for still says (unconfirmed) :(

Are you going for your MBA ?

Cheers !

Oh no! Just to say im so sorry ive not replied :( I tried replying via a friends phone the other day (am on hols right now and comp has broken) but it didn't seem work so now I'm using another computer...anyway yeh so totally need to sort myself on the email group front. I think pm-ing is a little hassley so my email address is anessa.Liew@gmail.com

Let me know how it's going accommodation wise and I'll try and log on to emails as soon as I can!!! So please don't take my radio silence as disinterest!

Ok need to return my friends comp back to him - hopefully get some emails tomorrow

Naz

@ letsgo & dolldalera: this is a little messed up to say but i think it's a good thing that we all have this message - it might just be that the website administrators confused "unconfirmed" with "unsuccessful"... it's really unlikely we are all systematically doing something wrong and getting this error message for it.

i don't know if this has been mentioned but.. do u guys know if we're all gonna be in the same building? i'm highly curious as to what dorm life would be like in china

I'm already in Beijing right now staying in the BLCU dorms but I plan on moving to an apartment closer to Qinghua in a couple weeks (I'll be here for the fall term). I found some ads for apartments in The Beijinger and want to check the places out soon. It'd be great to be able to share the apartment with other international students. If anyone is interested in looking for a place together you can email me at grace.lichlyter@gmail.com.

Tomorrow is the day we find out if our reservations at the dorm pushed through!

@firstinfantry: I think it depends on the kind of room you had reserved. Not quite sure. I dormed in China before, but it was more of a campus hostel than a dorm, though our dorm situation now is not normal either as we're in a foreigners dorm. :D

hello, I'm a first time poster. congrats to everyone who got accepted. I'm doing the Chinese language course from september for a year. I'm interested in doing a homestay, I wonder if anyone has any advice? I found Chinahomestay.org, but have since heard some negative comments about them. they're very cheap for a year (for me at least, it's the equivalent of 2 months rent here in Tokyo), so does anyone have any advice? any other organisations? It's getting a bit late, so I guess I'll end up biting the bullet and going with them.

also, I'm a complete Chinese beginner ... anyone else out there starting from the bottom?

Hi everyone!

I've just checked on line and I have successfully reserved a room.

I hope everyone successfully got theres too.

@4Leaf: you can check in the dormitory at the day you typed in when you reserved a room online. as for the time, i believe you can check in anytime. someone correct me if you think i am wrong.