Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University Chinese Courses

roddy

Hi I've applied for a year-long program starting in September and am waiting for the result.

@Brian, have you heard much about the intermediate/advanced classes? I don't know if you have much information about other programs, but how do you think the Tsinghua program compares to, say, the BLCU program (especially in terms of quality of teaching, effectiveness of the curriculum, opportunities to get language partners/tutors, etc.)?

Also, should I apply to another program in case I don't get into the Tsinghua program? How competitive is it to gain admission?

Thanks!

Hi

was wondering, on average, how many students in a class? how easy is it to change class?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I like the idea that there are separate classes for listening, reading & writing, and speaking , so that students with 'differing' levels in each respectively can take 'courses' suited to their needs?

and what about the textbooks used/computer or audio aided learning materials that students can supplement learning on their own? Are they relevant, good, bad, etc..

Thanks for sharing.

• New Members

Hey, my name is Josefine.

This fall I'm starting the Chinese program at Tsinghua. Im confused about the holidays, since I can't find last years fall schedule nor have they posted this years upcoming fall schedule. My question is simple, do we get any western holidays off. I don't mean a whole week as it would be in the west, but do we get Christmas or New Years off? And for how long is the holiday/break (if there's is one)?

While I'm at it - for those who are studying at Tsinghua right now (the Chinese language program), how is it? From class to social life. (:

My question is simple, do we get any western holidays off. I don't mean a whole week as it would be in the west, but do we get Christmas or New Years off? And for how long is the holiday/break (if there's is one)?

It's unlikely you would get any western holiday off besides maybe Christmas and New Years day, and in those cases just a single day off. Even those are unlikely.

@Brian, have you heard much about the intermediate/advanced classes? I don't know if you have much information about other programs, but how do you think the Tsinghua program compares to, say, the BLCU program (especially in terms of quality of teaching, effectiveness of the curriculum, opportunities to get language partners/tutors, etc.)?

Also, should I apply to another program in case I don't get into the Tsinghua program? How competitive is it to gain admission?

---Sorry, my account had some problems logging in through facebook. I can't really say how the BLCU program is, but from what I've heard out of the 3 (Beida, BLCU, and Tsinghua), Beida seems to be the "party" school. I heard most students skip classes there and more of a life outside of school whereas most Tsinghua students are sheltered inside campus.

The immediate classes are really good for me, I would recommend it. Most teachers are really good and like to get to know you. They show a lot of enthusiasm. The textbooks that we use are published from BLCU FWIW.

I don't think admission is competitive, you should be fine as long as you can fill out the application.

Hey, my name is Josefine.

This fall I'm starting the Chinese program at Tsinghua. Im confused about the holidays, since I can't find last years fall schedule nor have they posted this years upcoming fall schedule. My question is simple, do we get any western holidays off. I don't mean a whole week as it would be in the west, but do we get Christmas or New Years off? And for how long is the holiday/break (if there's is one)?

While I'm at it - for those who are studying at Tsinghua right now (the Chinese language program), how is it? From class to social life. (:

Hi Josephine, I really enjoy the language program. I am getting a lot out of it in terms of learning the language, experiencing the culture, and meeting international students from around the world. In my opinion, class is really effective because most of what I learn in class, I can use outside of it. As for the social life, there are definitely a lot of people who often go to bars and clubs. There's all sorts of different characters here, just be open to meeting people. People bond really well here because we're all in the same boat. College-aged and young professionals wanting an international experience and interested in learning Chinese.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Just joining the conversation because I'm guessing we'll all be at Tsinghua this fall :D (even tho I'm not a language student)!

I was just wondering if you guys have received any letters at home? I shouldn't be stressing, but I heard a while back that I was accepted, yet I haven't received any packages through the mail or anything.

I would really like to buy a flight ticket, just so I can have a certain date of departure and to reduce the cost, but it's kinda difficult without any information.

Does anyone have the same problem? Or does anyone know if this is normal?

- Kirsten (The Netherlands)

I sent an email and they told me the starting and ending dates of the course, this is what they told me:

Hi Valeria,

The fall semester will start on Sept.3rd and 4th for registration On Sept.6 students take the placement test.And the classes will begin on Sept 11. The final exam will set on Jan 7 to Jan 9. On Jan 14 and Jan 15 you can get the completion certificate.

Best,

International Chinese Language and Culture Centre

Tsinghua Unviersity

• Like 1

Ah like that! Guess its okay to book a ticket once you know the registration date.

Lol, I emailed them yesterday with the same question for MIR, and this was the reply I got : "We will send the English verison days later."

I think I'll just interpret that as "we're working on it and you'll get it in a few days." :lol:

Le sigh.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the information Valeria, this is good to know :)

I'm planning on arriving a few days early so I'm sure I'll have a room in the dorms :) Where are you going to stay?

Actually, i'm still in the process of applying for the Chinese Program but I'm not sure about the paperwork...

"(2) Latest academic diploma (or enrollment certificate) and academic record (photocopy)."

Should I get them translated into English? (because I'm French so I guess they won't understand much of it). Having my academic record translated will be quite difficult. Should I give them my last diploma or a certificate from my present university?

Is it any use sending the scanned documents by e-mail instead of posting them to Tsinghua? Or won't they open it?

I also didn't fill some cases on the online application (I don't have a recommending institution or person to act on my behalf in China). Do you think there is a chance that my application could be rejected because of this? I suppose not, but it's frustrating to have blank spaces on your application papers :P

Thanks!

• Like 1

I asked for the same cases you didn't fill and it doesn't matter if they've been left empty.

I suggest you to use the email and to send your docs in english, I'm form the university of Bologna and they gave me my graduation certificate and record in english, it's strange that your university can't provide you something similar.

And for any question, ask them by email and they'll answer you in a couple of days!

Thanks for the answer, i'll do that :)

@Kike : yes there is, but I read the older topics about TH and it seems the dorms registration is quite disorganized. Maybe I'm mistaken, but anyway I want to book my flight in advance so I can't just wait and see how it goes with the online registration.

Anyway, arriving a little early gives you time to settle in. And you also get to chose your room more freely :)