Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2013

Brian US

I was nominated by HUST in their second email and after announcing their First List now they are saying for second list you have to wait till 15th July. Not sure whether they are going to finalized till 15th July or not.

Pakistani students in China appeal to govt

FROM THE NEWSPAPER

A LARGE number of Pakistani students of Master’s and PhD programme are studying in China under the ‘Bilateral Cultural Exchange Scholarship Programme’ of the Ministry of Inter-Provincial Coordination (IPC Division), government of Pakistan. The programme is fully funded by the Chinese government, which also pays a monthly stipend of CNY1,700 (approximately Rs27,000) and CNY2,000 (approximately Rs32,000) to master’s and PhD students, respectively.

It is clearly mentioned in the scholarship offer letter of the Ministry of IPC that “the government of Pakistan will pay the subsidy subject to availability of funds, provided the revised project is approved.”

However, for the past several years no subsidy or allowance has been paid by the IPC.

The monthly stipend paid by the Chinese government is not sufficient for the financially distressed students studying abroad, who also need to arrange their return air ticket to China by themselves.

Considering all these financial constraints, many successful candidates prefer not to avail this opportunity.

The recent visit by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to China is a ray of hope for those Pakistani students who are waiting for any financial assistance by their government, so that they may successfully complete their studies and proudly represent Pakistan in the friendly neighboring country.

The authorities concerned are requested to look into the matter in order to secure the future of talented youth.

JUNAID KAMAL Gilgit Baltistan

http://www.dawn.com/news/1028713/pakistani-students-in-china-appeal-to-govt

@Firashk - I'm sure there have been a few exceptions over the years, but most people will not be allowed to change universities. In fact, I think it's mentioned somewhere in our application that we cannot change universities. I know one person in my country who changed university though (and moved to another city as well). She spoke to the officials at our Chinese embassy and it was the Chinese embassy that contacted the CSC in Beijing to assist. I don't know if your university will be willing to help you though, you can imagine they might be offended.

@Junaid - Well, unfortunately it also does state "...subject to availability of funds". I don't understand the outrage from Pakistani students claiming that the monthly allowance is not sufficient. I mean, it's not great but I do believe it's sufficient in terms of basic necessities. It's not like we're going to China to party and live extravagant lifestyles anyway.

I think the stipend is pretty decent, even though things in China are becoming gradually more and more expensive, this will affect long-term Master's and phD more than language students. I think the deal is pretty good; free textbooks, free tuition, free lodging, insurance, etc. I do think that over time they should adjust the inflation of the stipend money, the buying power of 1700/2000 rmb will become weaker and weaker over time.

@Kanjiology - They are adjusting it over time. The first time I went there, it was only 800 yuan. Then they changed it to 1400 yuan (after a few years). Now it's 1700 yuan for Bachelors.

I just don't understand it when people talk about scholarships as though it's a right and not a privilege. We're all in this 'take it or leave it' situation, aren't we? If their government doesn't give them an additional monthly allowance, it's probably because it is not within their education budget or something. Maybe I'm missing something.

@shuoshuo

That's good to hear. Do bachelor students also receive 1700 yuan? That's the same as Master's.

As a side note, I'm all prepared for the new school year to come, I got a new residence permit issued, and now I am just waiting till mid to late August to move into the scholarship dorms, I'm still living in the self-financed dorms for now, I'm going to miss my single room with no roommate.

Good luck to everyone making the transition into China!

I'm not sure if its different for every university, but in my university they specifically state Master degree students have a double bedroom, and phd students have a single bedroom. I'm a master degree student. :(

http://www.ietju.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=236%3A2013-2014&catid=64%3A2013-07-01-08-35-49&Itemid=115〈=en

@Kanjiology - Yes, I'm sure some universities don't have enough rooms to spare for Masters students. How unfortunate. Many universities I know (especially at first-tier cities) also give Masters degree students their own office.

@Firashk - Which official papers? Do you mean certificates or do you mean the admissions notice? As far as I know, you won't need to show your official documents. But I suppose it might be useful to have them with you in case you want to find a part-time job or in the event that your university asks for them. I brought my certificates the last time I went, and I didn't need them at all. Nevertheless, they'll be leaving with me...again.

""Dear Sir/Madam,

The admission is still in process. The result will be released this week or next week. You will be informed by the organization where you applied for the scholarship.

Kind Regards,""

What me think on this answer ?

@ducksauce888

What Australian city are you in? I'm from Melbourne and still waiting for results from the consulate there, or from my university who applied for me.

@ shuoshuo:

well it may be more than enough for a fresh graduate-level student but there are other professionals as well who are already earning a handsome amount and having certain responsibilities on their shoulders. Stay blessed!

Colleagues,

I must say I find it very disheartening that individuals a speaking about the value of the allowance given under the scholarship programe. I am very much sure that we were all very much aware of the value of the allowances given to undergraduate and post graduate students before applying on our own free will. Let us be very appreciative of the fact that some of us were selected an opportunity that many Chinese national would want while others are either disappointed that they did not make the final or still anxiously always their results that will be released tomorrow for many countries.

In everything let us be thankful and be reminded of our purpose in China. Let us also use this forum wisely so that further applicants can know what do when seeking apply.

Cheers

• Like 3