Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2013

Brian US

1) What is your native country? Russia

2) Where did you apply? The Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation

3) When did you apply? March 2013

4) When was the deadline? March 2013

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? One year Chinese language program.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Beijing Language and Culture University 2. Fudan University 3. Zhejiang University.

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? Embassy in Russia.

10) Where did you get your physical done? Private clinic in Moscow

11) How did you get your documents notarized?

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps?

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for the scholarship starting September 2013

14) How were you notified? By the call from my MESRF

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted at the end of July.

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Beijing Language and Culture University for the one year Chinese language program.

• Like 1

@Sam Fairhall 92 - I would personally apply to both, and then make a decision later if my application is successful. The CSC can fund the years you want to spend in China studying Mandarin (be it an intensive language year or Masters in Chinese Language). It's a huge opportunity. That said, you can even work around it (language year = half day of studies, free the rest of the day to teach and supplement your income).

@shuoshuo Thank you for your response. Lets assume i'm wanting to study at university even if I don't get the CSC. Obviously I'd rather get it on the scholarship, so should I wait until I've heard back from the CSC before applying to pay for my year at university? I fear if I show I have the available funds to study they won't give me the CSC, but is early June too late to apply for a course starting in September?

@Sam Fairhall 92 - There's no need to be patronizing. Not everyone on the CSC are charity cases. But to answer your question: Some people are informed of their scholarship application by late July. Most unversities start accepting applications some time around March...and they love 'early birds'. So whether you are applying to the CSCS or as a self-financed student, it would be a good idea to apply as early as possible.

If you want to spend your first year studying Mandarin language, you can imagine how supportive the Chinese government + MOE would be. You really should be more optimistic! You're spending a lot of time thinking about your backup plan of self-financing, when you should concentrate on also applying to alternative scholarships that offer the same benefits.

There are municipal, provincial, etc. scholarships, and also university scholarships that you can apply to. You might also want to check out the Confucius Institute Scholarship.

• Like 1

@cherrygrape Hey cherrygrape!

I'm interested in Hainan University, i am so glad you posted on the topic!

I really need to know, did you only put Hainan University as your preferred when you applied through the embassy? I've seen on the website you can't apply directly - which is why I ask.

Also, when you had sent in the application - did you follow that up with an email just to let them know you'd applied?

I really could do with any advice you can offer - it is appreciated!

Thanks.

• Like 2

@sam

Hey,

I received a scholarship this year from Hainan University. I applied to the embassy in the US. On the application form I put 3 universities as my preferences. Hainan University was my number 2.

I'm not sure if it mattered, but I emailed Hainan university after not hearing from CSC for months. They told me I got the scholarship in mid July and then someone from the US embassy emailed me that I would go to hainan at the end of the month.

I dunno if that helps

• Like 2

@pjamesyee

Thankyou :). I'm applying next year, and so is my girlfriend, so I'm trying to give ourselves the best chance to get placed in the same university. If i was doing this alone, I would do exactly what you did. Hainan unfortunately doesn't accept CSC scholarships directly, as they've only recently been allowed to host them (it seems to suggest on the website). Its a shame because thats how people seem to be getting placed in their first choice. If you find out anything of the sort while your out there, through word of mouth - please let me know :). Hainan is our definite first choice!

Hope your time out there is useful :).

• Like 1

1) What is your native country? Ukraine

2) Where did you apply? Chinese Universities directly

3) When did you apply? March, 13 2013

4) When was the deadline? March 30th

6) What program did you apply for? Three year master's program in Public Administration.

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Zhejiang Normal University 2. Zhejiang University 3. Qingdao University

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes

9) What agency number did you use? I had three applications sent to the three schools directly, used their own numbers respectively

10) Where did you get your physical done? Local clinic

11) How did you get your documents notarized? Paid a notary to verify translation done by my friend, who has a degree in translation. Cost me just $5 and a cup of coffee treated to a friend

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? Never seen, never heard, never had

Finally, for those getting results:

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for the scholarship starting September 2013.

14) How were you notified? This is a funny story. All my papers, including JW 201 and AN were given to a Chinese acquaintance of mine whom I put as my contact in China. She just texted me on Weixin asking for my mail address. The Office even didn't email me or whatever. I had called them, emailed them many times, but they decided to give my visa paperwork to an almost random person without notifying me and asking my permission to hand my papers to that person. Oh, China. I've missed you.. Thank God, I didn't want to leave a blank in the application otherwise I'm not sure what would have happened to my paperwork. Probably sold at a night market.

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted late June 2013

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Three year master's program of Public Administration at Zhejiang Normal University. Zhejiang University didn't reply, Qingdao University just could accept only 11 people. But I am happy I got my first choice.

• Like 1

@heru

Earlier this year I emailed cicehn@126.com to inquire about my csc application. I found the email address on hainan university's English web page. They responded relatively quickly.

After being accepted I was told to email haidaliuban@163.com, I have sent them two emails and they have not got back to me. So as of now I am in the same situation as you. I'm probably going to try to send an email to both addresses later this week.

Let me know if you hear from them.

Pyee

• Like 1

1) What is your native country? Russia

2) Where did you apply? The Chinese Embassy in Moscow.

3) When did you apply? Early April 2010

4) When was the deadline? April 30th

6) What program did you apply for? Four year bachelor’s program in Textile & Fashion Design

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1.-2. Tsinghua University 3.Central Academy of Fine Arts

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Yes, and I took all the entrance exams, but at that point had no idea that I passed them since the results are usually out only in late May

9) What agency number did you use? The Chinese Embassy in Moscow

10) Where did you get your physical done? In Beijing, March 2013.

11) How did you get your documents notarized? In Moscow with some help of an English translator, don’t remember the exact cost though

12) Where do you get official Chinese red stamps? Hm, only got one stamp on the letter from BLCU which says I studied the language program there for 1 year

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? I was accepted for the scholarship starting September 2013.

14) How were you notified? Actually I found out that I was accepted from the uni directly when I visited the students office, but the official news came from the embassy

15) When were you accepted/rejected? Accepted early July 2013

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Tsinghua University for four year bachelor's at the Academy of Arts and Design

• Like 1