Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

• New Members

I'm slowly making my way through all 100 pages of this topic but a quick search makes me think my question hasn't been covered:

I'm an Irish student (currently living in France) and I've got a place at PKU/Beida next year for a Masters course (I'm doing a dual masters degree with a French university and PKU, so my place is secured). My question: do I have to apply for the CSC scholarship through Ireland even though I'm living in France? Also, I just read about the EU CSC Scholarship - can I apply to that one and the Bilateral one with Ireland to improve my chances? Or do I have to pick only one? (I realise that if I get the scholarships then I'm obviously only allowed to accept one)

Final question! I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but I feel like I should ask anyway... I read about the MOFCOM scholarship which also looks good, but while PKU is on the list of universities my exact degree isn't on the list - I should take this as a given that I can't apply for this scholarship then?

I've contacted PKU and the Chinese Embassy in Ireland already but answers are quite slow in arriving and not very helpful, so I hope someone here can help me out!

Hi all,

I am recipient of CSC General Scholar 1-Year Scholarship for Bilateral Program for Poland.

I want to re-apply. 

Can I use the medical examination papers, that I had in China for my application?

Do I have to use the medical examination form from the CSC website?

Hello everyone! 

This year I am applying for the 4 years bachelor program and before that I would like to take the 2 years of a language program. My target university is East China Normal University. And my question is: if I get the scholarship will my language program and bachelor program be on the same university ? 

Hello everyone,

I will be applying for a CSC scholarship this year, but I believe I am in a rather unique situation and am hoping somebody can give me some advice.

I will be studying at Kunming University of Science and Technology (KUST) starting this March (without a scholarship). However, I will be applying for the CSC scholarship for next semester (starting in September), and hope to continue attending KUST. However, somebody mentioned earlier in this thread that some universities don't allow current students to apply for the scholarship. Does anyone have any info on this? If this is the case, would it be okay to just apply to different universities in Kunming?

I am also wondering about how the application process will work for somebody already living in China. I read somewhere else that I would still have to send all of my application documents to my home country. Has anybody else done this? It seems very inconvenient and I'm worried about not meeting the deadline.

Since I will already be in Kunming, how helpful do you think it would be to talk directly to the universities here about applying for the CSC scholarship? Are universities in China generally helpful in this respect? Would they be able to provide me with the application materials and tell me exactly what the requirements for their school are? Is it possible to actually directly apply through universities? I know each university is different, but maybe somebody else has specific experience doing this and can tell me how you went about it?

I greatly appreciate ANY help you guys can give me!

Thanks.

Hello again,

So I have been visiting the official websites for various Chinese universities, and reading their pages about the CGS. Nearly all of them state that the scholarship doesn't support students currently enrolled in Chinese universities. It seems to be a near unanimous thing...so I'm not really sure what to do now. This is pretty discouraging.

Has anybody ever received this scholarship while attending a Chinese university? Does anybody know of specific universities that don't have this policy?

Another thing...literally every university I have looked into only grants the scholarship to master's and doctoral students. I was hoping to use it for non-degree language study but I guess that is no longer a possibility.

Sorry for all the questions everyone, but I'm really stressed about this and have been researching all day so questions keep coming up.

Earlier in this thread, some people were discussing the process for obtaining pre-admission letters. It sounds like basically after you receive your award letter, you just email various universities asking if they will accept you? And it seems like you can obtain a pre-admission letter from any university, not just the top 3 listed on your application? What happens if I don't list any preferred universities on my application?

So let's say I receive my award letter and email my top 3 schools asking for a pre-admission letter, but they all say "sorry, we don't fund non-degree language students, only master's and doctoral students," Does this mean I can just reach out to other universities until I find one that is willing to fund a non-degree language student?

Honestly, if this is the case, then I'm left a bit confused as to why they even ask you to submit your top 3 universities, if you're just going to have to contact them yourself later to obtain the pre-admission letter anyways? I was under the impression that CSC would send your application to your top universities, and if none of them accepted you, CSC would simply choose a university for you. Is this not the case?

Again, sorry for all the questions. Hopefully someone can help me out.

First of all, what are you interested in? 

A non-degree language course? One year? You are already in China and studying right now? 

What universities would you like to attend? For a language course, the university does not matter that much. Yes, most funding is there to support degree students, especially research. 

Embassies and Confucius Intitutes do support languages studies in China. 

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm interested in a non-degree language course. Two years would be ideal but that seems unlikely. So if I want to do a language course, do you think it's better to apply through the embassy, since most universities seem to only fund master's and doctoral students? What if my top universities listed on my application don't accept non-degree language students? Could I then just contact other universities (after I receive my award letter) for pre-admission letters? Or will the embassy simply choose a different university for me?

I would like to study at a university in Kunming. The specific one doesn't matter much, although my top choice is Kunming University of Science and Technology. My alternative choices would be universities in Chongqing or Chengdu (I like southwest China). I have contacted all the universities in these cities but they are unresponsive (likely because of Spring Festival, but the ones I emailed before then weren't very responsive either). I am trying to find out which universities will accept non-degree language students, but it seems to be a futile effort. Do you happen to know of any that do? Do you think it would be best to just pick three of these universities to put on my application, even if I don't know whether they will accept non-degree language students?

Right now I am finishing up a teaching contract in China but will begin studying here in late February. I know most schools say they won't accept scholarship applicants who are already enrolled in Chinese universities. Do you know how true this is? Do you think it would be okay if I applied for the scholarship before being officially enrolled in school on February 25th?

I really appreciate your input.

Thanks.

It is better to ask before applying. 

Since you are in China, you can visit them. There is a new 高铁 to Kunming. 

University scholarships usually prefer grad students who will get their degrees from the university. The Government Scholarship where the recommening institution is the university, also has a preference for degree students.

For non-degree language studies your best bet is to apply for the Government Scholarship through a Chinese embassy. 

Do a search here, I have written about scholarship opportunities before. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

I am new and could not find answers to my questions. Hope someone could help me.

I plan to apply for China-EU Scholarship for general language learning. However, few things are unclear to me:

1. Admission letter. The guidelines strongly recommend to enclose admission letters from the university of my preference. I found that some unis provide pre-admission letters, but to obtain them, I need to mail Award Letter for Chinese Government Scholarship Candidate before April, whereas decision on scholarship is only published in July. So how am I supposed to get Admission Letter from the preferred university in such circumstances? 

2. If my diploma and other documents are in English, do I still need to notarize or get any other type of approval of their photocopies before sending?

@Angelina

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will go ahead and apply through the embassy then.

Another question: A physical examination is required for the application, but I am already living in China. I completed the Foreigner Physical Examination form about a year ago, before coming to China. Does this mean I will have to get another physical in China? Does anybody know how to do this? I don't even know where to start. How do I find out what hospital to go to? Does anybody have experience with this?

@pturskis in order to receive the admission letter I had just sent my embassy the scan of my passport, so you need to contact the embassy in your home country.

The award letter means that you are just considered as a CGS candidate.

btw. has anyone receive the pre-admission letter from ECNU? :) 

• New Members

Hello, sorry for posting this years later. I have to apply directly to the school. In Nigeria University of Lagos Akoka doesnt give people transcript they send it directly to the body you address it to. How do I combat this?

Also if I do not know anyone in China can I still apply?