Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

Jesus, Breaknet. To me that's downright criminal. And all this time, it felt a safe assumption that the scholarship council is responsible for dishing out the dosh (money) to scholarship recipients rather than the university. You're telling me that there is an employee of the university who is responsible for administering the scholarship money and not the CSC? That seems just so very wrong to me, it really seems like something that should obviously be centralized. I'm not saying that I don't believe you. I just really feel that it's an unfair system that is wide open for unscrupulous universities abuse as they please, with very little to no repercussions at all.

It's not that crazy. That's how they do it here at CFAU too, CSC gives the school the money and someone at the school is responsible for distributing the money to the students. 

Fortunately for us there have been no issues with receiving our scholarship money, besides them being a little late the the start of the month.

Hello everyone,

Hopefully somebody can help me out with a question I have. I am unsure whether or not I want to apply for a master's degree or just language study. So, my question is, if I were to just apply for two years of language study, and then decided I wanted to pursue a master's, would it be possible to reapply for the scholarship and have it extended to cover my master's?

On the other hand, if I were to apply for the master's program from the beginning, would the scholarship cover one or two years of language study before I begin the master's program (while also covering the actual master's program)?

So, in short: Do you think it would be better to just apply for the two years of language study and then reapply for the master's program later? Or would it be better to apply to the master's program from the beginning (even though I'm unsure if I actually want to pursue a master's), assuming that the scholarship would cover one to two years of language study before the start of the program?

I would really appreciate any insight on this matter. Thanks.

I think calculating the chances of getting a scholarship is not the only factor you should consider. If you are thinking about a master's, there are other things to consider.

If you apply for a two-year language course only, then decide you want to do a master's, you can apply again, you can't extend the first scholarship. I am 100% certain that you can't extend a language course scholarship to cover a master's once you finish the language course, you have to repeat the whole application process.

If you are unsure about pursuing a master's, then do not apply for a master's degree. It is that simple. If you have any questions about graduate school in China, I can share my experience.

When it comes to the chances of being awarded a scholarship, degree programs are preferred over non-degree programs. If there are more applicants than scholarship spots available, those applying for degree programs will have an advantage. Someone who just came here on a Confucius Institute Scholarship (master's in teaching Chinese) was told that if she applied for a language course, CSC or CI, degree applicants would be preferred over her application, so she went for the master's instead. I got the CSC for a language program, then applied again for a second scholarship to cover my MA and got it again.

If you are not interested in doing something, I am not sure if the fact that it is easy to get this should be the reason to do it. Otherwise, applicants going for degree programs are preferred over language students. Also, if you try a language program only now, you can try a master's later, but you have to bear in mind that the first time won't be as easy. More precisely, it is easy to secure funding for a master's, it is less easy for a language program. Yet, it is possible to get a scholarship for a language program and then apply again for a master's. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

msteve60, may I ask where you're applying from?

I think where you apply from has a deciding factor of your chances of geting the scholarship. Im from the US and honestly i think its quite easy for US students to get scholarship as I dont think there are many that study in China, or if they do they dont know anything about the scholarship. My friend applied with me because she didnt want to work and I told her that living in china on scholarship is nice and I met some other people who did that for a 'gap year' of sorts.  She was originally 'wait listed' but in the end was given scholarship to her first choice school. 

On the other hand, my friend from Tajikistan has applied for the scholarship a couple times but the first two i think he messed up and dint actually complete the application but for the third time he not only secured all the required stuff (HSK 4, even took HSK 5 and passed) but also took the HSKK. He had an interview process with the embassy as well, and has studied in china for about 2 years and worked at a chinese news company in his company for about a year. I think he was more than qualified for the BA degree he was looking to get but wasn't given scholarship. 

I think certain countries have certain quotas, I also think they give preference to certain types of degrees. And also obviously 关系

Like Angelina  I think you should just apply for the language studies and apply again for masters if you decide you want to pursue a masters degree. I did the same thing too and had no problem obtaining scholarship both times. 

P.S scholarships usually only cover 1 year preparatory chinese if you're pursuing a degree. I've never seen +2 year language then masters no matter your level of chinese. 

• Like 2

Angelina and grawrt, thank you very much for your input. It looks like just applying for a two-year language scholarship is probably the better option then.

grawrt, I am a US citizen but I am currently living and working in China and will be applying from here. I hope the fact that I'm living in China doesn't affect my chances of getting the scholarship. I know that it complicates things since I will have to send all of my documents to a Chinese embassy in the US.

I don't think it should make a difference. Just be careful of deadlines. It might actually help because you can visit the schools you're interested in and ask them about their programs and program requirements. If i'd known about it I would have tested for HSK6 instead of 5. 

Are you looking to do a degree taught in Chinese or in English? 

That's an excellent point. Since you are in China already, it is fairly easy to talk to people.

You have found scholarship opportunities. Meeting people associated with the programs you are interested in is the best way to decide where to apply. It will help you decide between non-degree and degree programs, or between similar programs offered by different schools. Not only will this help you with application requirements, you can also see what things will probably look like when you start your studies. 

Hello everybody! This thread has been great to really find out about the process of CSC and the scholarship programmes available to study in China. I have been reading through and trying to garner as much information as possible :) of how it works, life as a student in China and any general feedback of CSC, difficulties etc.

I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone as its most likely I will posting throughout the coming months. I am committed to applying in January (or thereafter) for my Masters either through direct University scholarships and the CSC depending on the university. I will be hoping to secure a scholarship to pursue my Masters in Law, I am 1st Class Honours LL.B graduate who was been working within law firms and doing various internships since I graduated, and I now want to educate myself further and believe studying in China (due to the course content) presents such a fantastic opportunity.

I know that some of you have applied to language programmes prior, my course will be in English so I will be applying directly from the UK. I know that Angelina said that this is preferred in some circumstances? Is there anything specific they tend to look out on applications for Masters? Such as extra curriculum or involvement in trying to learn Chinese to show your commitment etc?

Any advice would be great, I like to think that although I am not coming straight from my BA this would not be disadvantage ( as the masters does say under 35).

Anyway, wanted to post and introduce myself so look forward to speaking to you all! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello !

Next year I will attend Chinese language program in Zhejiang university as an exchange student for my last year of master's degree in Chinese language, literature and culture. After that, I want enroll in a Master's degree in Teaching Chinese as a second language in Zheda. Can I be award a scholarship for do a second master's degree ? (One in Europe, one in China) ?

I want apply for 1 year of chinese + Master's degree. I want use my 1 year of chinese next year during my exchange student year and after start the master's degree. 

I already spend 1 year in Minzu university of China in Beijing last year (without scholarship and in a language program/visiting student) and I have a Bachelor degree in Chinese literature and language for Europe. 

So, I already reach the chinese level requirement "Applicants for Chinese-taught programs of literature, history, philosophy, education and law should have a level 4 HSK certificate with minimum score of 210or HSK certificate of level 5 or above"

But, I know is not really enough so I really want obtain the scholarship next year for the 1 year preparatory class. With my bachelor degree + my last year in china you think they will refuse to give me scholarship for 1 year of chinese ?

Thank

• 2 weeks later...

@LinZhenPu

Jesus, Breaknet. To me that's downright criminal. And all this time, it felt a safe assumption that the scholarship council is responsible for dishing out the dosh (money) to scholarship recipients rather than the university. You're telling me that there is an employee of the university who is responsible for administering the scholarship money and not the CSC? That seems just so very wrong to me, it really seems like something that should obviously be centralized. I'm not saying that I don't believe you. I just really feel that it's an unfair system that is wide open for unscrupulous universities abuse as they please, with very little to no repercussions at all.

Yep, there's a staff member in charge of distributing the stipends. For example, you lose your bank card, you call the lady, she fixes everything and sends the money to your new account.

HOWEVER, if there is X,Y,Z reason why they want to suspend your scholarship... well, the same lady will screw you over. No questions asked. No institutional safeguards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hello, I applied last year to EU Window scholarship. I want to try it again this year. I want to go just for language study, but I have to apply to master's degree, to surely get a scholarship? I just want to study Chinese. :wall I have my diploma now BSc, Also my degrees are not always the best, so i guess i could not get the scholarship. :help