Jump to content
Learn Chinese in China

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

Recommended Posts



Thank you for your answer. Do you think it would be helpful to ask for an acceptance letter from the uni and then contacting the embassy? The online application at the uni starts in March, I could contact the embassy prior to that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.


I think the acceptance letter is only required if applying through the embassy. This would give you a better chance of you had this letter of being successful through the embassy, especially with that chosen university. If you applied directly to the university, the first stage of the application is for them to put your name forward. If they select you the acceptance letter would be included with your documents when they forward it to the CSC. I didn't apply through the embassy in the end so don't know how it works. Universities have limited places so if you can get the university to accept you in advance this can only be a good thing.

My university has already opened the application process for next year. March sounds very late, that's more like the closing deadline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I would definitely check with the university and also check the CSC scholarship website. It seems very late to open applications as this is the date they were closing when I applied. The universities have a certain time constraint in which to forward their applications to CSC.

@mariachristyfera Yes I am at Xi'an Jiaotong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey everyone! I was wondering if I could apply for the 1 year Chinese language scholarship then apply the next year for an undergraduate scholarship. I would think that my improved Chinese language skills (and good gpa) would qualify me. Thank you all for your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello all,


Recently, i have wrote to CSC, but i haven't received any answer up to today, in general I have already all the documentation required by CSC including a pre-admission letter in order to apply through CGS-Chinese University Program . However, I have some doubts about the following points and here are my questions for clarification...maybe someone could help me with these :
III. Where and When to apply: 
Where to Apply: Apply to the dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country.  In my case what would be my dispatching authorities? Chinese Embassy in Peru?
When to Apply:
You need to apply between early January and early April. Please consult the dispatching authorities for the specific deadline of each year. The same question, to whom should I ask this information in my home country?
V. Application Procedure 
Step 1 - Apply directly to your target university. My university opens officially the admissions in march 2016, but the school have already sent my a Pre-admission Letter to apply to CGS, Is it ok the letter is from the school?
Step 2 - Complete the online application procedure at CSC Online Application System for International Students (Visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org and click “Application Online” to log in), submit online the completed Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship and print a hard copy. 
Please consult your target university for the Instructions of the CSC Online Application System for International Students and Agency Number. What are the instructions of the CSC Online Ap. System I should ask to my university? The Agency Number should be from the university, right?
Step 3 - Submit all your application documents to your target university before the deadline. 

...thanks all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear all, 

I have question. I am filling the CSC online application, and don't know what to fill in.


Here's the picturehttp://imgur.com/MLTyeNQ


I am applying for General Scholar  scholarship from Poland.


How should I fill in the two questions?


The General Scholar is for 2 years, so should I fill in from 01.09.2016 to 01.08.2018 for example?


And, as I  want to learn Chinese language, should I put yes on the question " Do You Need Elementary Chinese Study Prior  to the Major Study?"


Thank you in advance, and hope everyone of us will get a scholarship to study in China :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The latest information (2015-12-08) describing the application process for the 2016-2017 scholarships has been posted on the "Study in China" website from the China Scholarship Council:






Good luck to all in their applications for 2016-2017!


Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi there,

Firstly, this topic is very long. I do not wish to make things worse, so I will delete this post later to make room for the more informative posts :)


I am interested in applying for a 1-year scholarship starting in September 2016. A little bit about myself to prove eligibility.


  • From Australia,
  • 31 years old,
  • have a bachelor's degree from a University in England,
  • Passed HSK4 with 249/300
  • Passed HSKK  elementary with 62/100 recently. The certificates for these are still literally in the mail!

Given the above, I'm certain that meets the eligibility criteria. Pleased to be proven wrong so I'm not wasting time!


University of choice is ZheJiang University in Hangzhou - http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/universityprogramsen.aspx?collegeId=53. 1-year Chinese Language course with possibility of extending is ideal :)


Also  I would prefer to live off campus in a place with private bedroom and bathroom. From the links Chris provided above, looks like they are willing to provide subsidies: 

" if the host university permits students to live off campus, the university will provide monthly/quarterly accommodation subsidy"

Maybe the best way is to contact ZJ Uni and find out...


Finally, an idea. If anyone is in the same position and is thinking about applying, hook me up on wechat and let's help each other!




Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am sort of in the same position.


I started a years language course this year at Xi'an Jiaotong University, which will be followed by a 3 year Chinese taught Masters.


I am 30 years old, the age limit for Masters is 35 and for PHD it's 40. I am not sure if there is an age limit which applies to a 1 year language course (I think there might be and it very well might be under 30.)


Language level should not be a problem, I have heard that language level can be too high. For example people applying with HSK5 could be turned down just because the Class levels available are all too low. (I would imagine this would not be a problem in Zhejiang though.


I had no problem living off campus and they pay a 700RMB allowance per month on top of the 3000 I receive as a Masters student. PHD is 1000+3500, I'm not sure about Langauge students or Undergraduate students, I imagine it is slightly less. Policy does vary from uni to uni though so I would check. They are a lot more inclined to allow you if they have enrolled enough students already to fill their international dorms. 


You might be better of applying for a Masters degree program and doing the language, (You can do a maximum of two years language) then you can decide afterwards whether to continue with the Masters or drop out. This would have to be a Master program taught in Chinese though I think to qualify for the preparatory language course.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure if there is an age limit which applies to a 1 year language course (I think there might be and it very well might be under 30.)


Applying as a general scholar and the age limit is 45? I am hoping for this as I am older than 40 but younger than 45.


From http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=3157


2. The requirements for applicants’ degree and age are that applicants must:

 be a high school graduate under the age of 25 when applying for the undergraduate programs;

 be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for the master’s programs;

 be a master’s degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for the doctoral programs;

 be under the age of 45 and have a high school diploma (or higher) when applying for the general scholar programs;

 be a master’s degree holder or an associate professor (or above) under the age of 50 when applying for the senior scholar programs.



Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am curious about the following:


I have heard that language level can be too high. For example people applying with HSK5 could be turned down just because the Class levels available are all too low.


I have been checking university programs to gauge how high their highest classes go and will apply accordingly to those university programs that appear to have "higher high level classes" (I will be looking to take at least HSK Level 5 in the next year).


Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...