Chinese-Forums

Coronavirus - those in China, and general discussion

Jan Finster

I’ve not seen any distressing videos etc posted on wechat or sent round as described above. Where are they? You getting them direct from people in Wuhan? 

I went on Reddit’s China threads a few times and decided it wasn’t for me. 

My friends still in Beijing tell me everyone is on edge. Schools are requesting travel and health information from parents/students/teachers. Some international schools have already delayed re-opening. 

So Yichang is being closed tomorrow according to a relative who just got a message from someone connected in the govt. Mackie1402 is right, it is really scary being here, the only message is basically 'everyone stay inside for as long as we can, and this'll blow over…but if you go outside it's 世界末日 out there' And basically everyone I know here is from or works in Wuhan.

The full impact will also depend on how long the quarantine will last and when schools/universities will restart. My Chinese friend said there are at least 80 schools and universities in Wuhan and she expects the students to be off for 1-2 months. Can you catch up afterwards? Do you lose a year?

They'll give them self-study tasks, or put the lecturers in front of a webcam, or have catch-up classes. It might cause issues for people who have to complete lab work or something, but the vast majority of students won't be particularly affected. 

1 hour ago, Jan Finster said:

. My Chinese friend said there are at least 80 schools and universities in Wuhan and she expects the students to be off for 1-2 months. Can you catch up afterwards? Do you lose a year?

Academics can go online. 

it has been done in HK recently in secondary schools and in Universities. 

24 minutes ago, 大块头 said:

Were you able to get a copy of that 3SFM book before things started to close down?

haha nope, i got the book sent to a friends house before coming over. Their house is just down the road, but they're currently in another village for new years and not allowed back now ?