Chinese-Forums

BLCU Spring Semester 2010

MikeyNinja91

I got a cell phone pretty cheap down the street near the u-center. just past the railroad tracks on the left...place says "china telecom". (sells both china unicom and china mobile, and they seem to be partial to neither). I got china mobile cuz its cheaper and loaded it up with Y100. cheapest phones are ~Y180.

highly reccomend goin with a friend who knows some chinese before u make this investment tho, u need to know exactly what youre gettin.

Oh, just checked and dorm 17 is fully booked guys!

If you really have your heart set on dorm 17 just keep going back everyday and asking. Sometimes it depends on who you talk to, when you ask, and the alignment of the stars. I kept hearing from people saying it was booked at the beginning of the fall and then I helped a Mongolian girl check in for the first time a few days later.

There are many short term programs that start at odd times and they seem to be accommodated at dorm 17. One American got a room two weeks after normal classes started for his short term. I also noticed every month groups of 20-30 Korean students randomly grab up rooms fresh off the plane. I assume rooms are set aside for all the short term students, so they aren't technically full.

got me a room around the block at Dong Wang Zhuang, nice lil chinese family posted a room for rent on The Beijinger, probly gonna do wonders for my Chinese. Whenever I walk around and see foreigners I get this eery feeling its one of you guys.

I moved in with a nice old Chinese couple at Dongwangzhuang last month. I can be spotted sporting a big wool cap and driving too fast on my scooter. You can go to a shop near the market at the North gate to get water delivered. 50 kuai deposit and brands ranging from 10-16 kuai will be delivered to your door.

cheapest phones are ~Y180.

140 kuai for a Nokia at Zhongguancun! My friend says they last about one year.

Cool. I was just about to ask how to buy water in Dong Wang Zhuang. What kind of internet connection do the houses there have? I think I saw an ad that has speeds of up to 2.5mbps.

Since I already have medical forms, the instructions say I have to take the forms to the Beijing Health and Quarantine Bureau in order to receive my Health Certificate.

I went to the housing center but they had never heard of it.

Anyone been there before and remember the address?

Cool. I was just about to ask how to buy water in Dong Wang Zhuang. What kind of internet connection do the houses there have? I think I saw an ad that has speeds of up to 2.5mbps.

You can go to the grocery store at the north gate, in front of the forestry university. The system is prepaid, so you have to buy 10 tickets plus bottle deposit the first time. The price of your ticket depends on the brand you choose. Then every time you need water, you call the number on the ticket then give the ticket to the deliveryman.

Internet speed is dependent on what connection/plan your landline chose for you.

Since I already have medical forms, the instructions say I have to take the forms to the Beijing Health and Quarantine Bureau in order to receive my Health Certificate.

I went to the housing center but they had never heard of it.

Anyone been there before and remember the address?

During registration, BLCU will schedule you to a trip to the said office. I remember we boarded a bus and we all did the physical again one more time. Then we received the health certificate several days later. This document, together with other stuff, we brought to the visa service, which processed our residence permits.

I'm in the 1-year program though, and this was my experience.

Hey guys,

Seems like everyone is having a good time this semester!!

I'm planning on going for the fall 2010 semester, and I really want to stay in Dorm 17. How early are you allowed booking your room? I'm planning on going there at the beginning of August... do you think they would allow me to stay there even though school starts in September? Are rooms usually more free at this time in Dorm 17?

Thanks so much!!

Really like to play tennis too but I didn't bring my racket. There's basketball courts, tennis courts, badminton court, soccer field, track field and a gym. It's close to CC, I think you can play tennis anytime you want, but I am not sure ><. The tennis court was full in the morning 9am ish. And they were playing in the freakishly cold weather some just using single shirt. I applaud them.

Hi all,

I'm still in Australia! Will be doing a late enrollment so look forward to meeting you all.

I was told that it is okay to enroll late. I've booked initial accommodation at the XiJiao hotel.

I'll be starting class on the 11th March Bit nervous about being behind but excited!

@ Amanda

Hey, just did the full registration today.

Thought you should know:

Monday, March 1st - we all take the placement exam.

Tuesday - no class; exam results available 2-5pm

March 3rd - first day of class.

If you do not know which level you will be placed in, I suggest you have them email you the placement exam or something so you do not wasted your "first" day of class...

@ferrarii

I heard that after one week of class you can go up to your teacher and ask to be put up a level. It is up to your teacher and subject coordinator to approve I believe. This is also one of my concerns as I have studied Mandarin but a long time ago so I feel that I may not do so well in the placement test but as time goes on I will pick up faster than the others in my class..

@ruds10

exactly in the same situation as you. I believe I will be picking up stuff faster and by the end of the semester I would feel I wouldn't learn as much. I hope it would be 1 week as in start of class(wednesday) to the next wednesday and not this friday. I guess we can just proof to the teacher that we are good enough for the next class.

Re: Upgrading classes

After the diagnostic/levelling exam, discuss with the teacher about the class where he/she will place you in. If you feel it is too low, you can ask if you can make it in a higher class.

If this fails, wait for the books to be released in your class and then determine if it is OK or too easy. If it is, go to the upgrade process where you will be interviewed again by another teacher to determine if you can make it or not.

For me the best level is the level which is not easy or too hard.