Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@igacave hahaha I have never waited for something for so long lol

But my CI told my classmates that host unis can still preadmit students until this week or so~

So I guess @地球人 is right :/ I also read somewhere in the application guide that host unis are supposed to send Hanban their list of preadmitted students by June 20th >.<

• Like 1

@dumpling98 Until last year the results were oficially given on June 15th, but applicants started to hear news around the end of May. 

This year apparently the procedure has changed since any of us has heard of anything yet. You can find the information about the June 20th and July 15th dates on the cis website. Before logging in you can find an icon that says "Application Guide", if you clic it you will download a zip file. Inside that you will be able to find the Application Guide 2017 (Word). I recommend you to read appendix 3 孔子学院奖学金年度评审办法 (Confucius Institute Scholarship Annual Review Method), article 8 评审程序 (Review Procedure) :)

• Like 4

Here are the relevant paragraphs:

3.接收院校须对奖学金生考核内容进行公开,并于620日前将评审工作总结连同《孔子学院奖学金生年度评审汉语水平考试成绩登记表》、《孔子学院奖学金生评审信息汇总表》与部分奖学金、停发奖学金生的《评审表》,以正式文件报送汉办,同时抄报当地教育厅(教委)。

4.汉办根据接收院校提交的材料审核确定评审意见,并于715日前将评审结果通知各地教育厅(教委)及有关接收院校。《孔子学院奖学金评审授予名单》由接收院校公布,接收院校应将停发奖学金者的情况通报奖学金生推荐机构。

Which is to say we will be notified before 7/15/2017. Hopefully we will all start hearing sooner rather than later. Woah am I nervous about this. Not getting this would drastically effect the course of my next year seeing how self funding my studies would be difficult at best.

• Like 4

My flatmate received her news about a month ago, I have been so nervous ever since. I've been constantly refreshing my email, despite the members of this thread telling us about the 20th.

Well, the 20th is almost here (UK time)

大家加油!

Check the system. My status got changed but no email went out!

I was rejected on the basis of not meeting some requirement. When I called the school they said many of the students were rejected for one of two reasons. Note that I am applying to a one-year program in 国际教育:

1) didn't study Chinese for undergrad

2) didn't show evidence that you wished to continue on to get a master degree in TCSOL

I feel I very clearly meet both of these requirements so I'm at a complete loss. The admissions officer (Sun Qi) at ECNU said she will get back to me today. Biting my nails over here. Luckily the One Plus 5 comes out in 10 minutes to distract me a bit. Gyah!

3 hours ago, 艾墨本 said:

Check the system. My status got changed but no email went out!

First of all, that's rubbish news for you, and as you said yourself for very obscure reasons. Glad to hear your admissions officer is on it though! Hope you'll get good news soon (and a shiny OnePlus 5 to match!)

About status changes without emails going out, I thought I'd explained this earlier, though maybe I forgot to mention it in my application madness. Through my frequent status changes I noticed this: you get an email only when your status progresses to the next stage, not when it goes back to a previous stage/is reset to the beginning. Arguably it would be much more important to be informed when your application is rejected/put back so that you can act quickly but hey ho. That's how it worked for me anyway (my application went all the way to the fourth stage, was then set back to the third, then the first stage, then went all the way back to the fourth stage again).

Good luck everyone!

• Like 3

For all to enjoy, here is what was said:

艾墨本,你好!

你的申请材料是因为:

3.1  向来华进修的在职汉语教师、预备攻读汉语国际教育硕士学位的汉语相关专业学生提供汉语国际教育课程和全额奖学金。申请者HSK成绩应达到三级270(培养目标为五级180分),具有HSKK成绩。

你的汉语水平已达HSK(五级)274分,已经超过了培养目标分数。本着提高孔子学院奖学金使用效益的原则,集中评审工作组退回了你的申请材料。抱歉!

I then reasoned and begged and pleaded and got this as a reply:

你好!

根据2017年申请办法,我们不会资助你一学年孔子学院奖学金。

但你为什么不申请汉语国际教育专业硕士呢?

1.汉语国际教育专业硕士  20179月入学,资助期限不超过2年。全额奖学金申请者HSK成绩应达到五级210分;部分奖学金申请者应达到五级180分。HSKK成绩均达到中级。提供公证过的毕业拟任教机构工作协议者优先。

This requirement demonstrates that Hanban hasn't interacted enough with students that have only passed HSK 5 as they think this somehow equates being ready for a masters degree that is taught in Chinese and requires a thesis. I'm very upset with all this.

• Like 1

@艾墨本  Seems like you've been a victim of that absurd overqualified-rule. I get that you need to meet minimum requirements for whatever course you'd like to take and I also get that they need to ensure some kind of similarity in skills and level for all participating students but I feel like they're making their parameters a bit too narrow. I'm so sorry to hear about this - do you have a plan B? Did you ask if they could just consider your application for the Master's instead? I'm sure you're right in thinking that it'll be challenging for a HSK5 but if they admit you for it, and if all other candidates are at the same/simliar level, it might be doable, right?

Just now, Jellyfish said:

do you have a plan B?

No plan B's, just a plan D, E and F, which is to say they are all more cons then pros but they are what I have to choose from.

When I talked to 北师大, which was my first school I was rejected from, they specified I could switch to a master degree but that they recommend at least an HSK 6 and thus recommended I first study more Chinese. I followed this advice and tried again at another university. Well, you know what happens at the end. 

I do not feel ready for a master degree that requires me to operate academically in Chinese. I have been self-studying for so long I lack a lot of academic Chinese I would need for that, especially essay writing in Chinese. I was hoping to get this from a year of study but... well....

My alternatives are:

Go to Guilin or Kunming and self fund since their program and living costs are so much lower I could afford it. The major downside would be another year far from my GF who is in Shanghai. We've already been long distance for two years and it's hard to imagine another year.

Get a job. I have a few friends that could help me get a job quite easily, but I really want to continue working toward teaching Chinese so this would just be a tangent that would feel like I'm wasting time just to earn money.

Lastly, I could get a low paying job that would be in Chinese to continue my Chinese studies. However, having lived in China for two years I feel my oral Chinese is already quite good and I'd prefer the concerted effort of putting myself in higher-level language situations that a classroom would provide. 

I'm hoping in the coming days as I rehash my situation with friends and family I or my friend/family will help me hit on an idea I have yet to think of.

At the moment, I'm just feeling dispirited after such a big setback. It's hard to think about other options without a clear head. At a certain level it feels like this road is blocked and I need to pick a different life path altogether. As in I should relegate Chinese to an enjoyable past-time and go do something else.

• Like 3