Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

Hi guys,

For those who are going to Beijing should keep in touch and meet up there. Here is My email: tleejhin@gmail.com, I'll be staying in Beijing from 5th Sept till 20 Jan 2013. Feel free to contact me. PM your local contacts (if any) and I'll send mine to you when I get one there.

Arios. Good luck to all CIS scholars.

• 4 months later...

Anyone else getting ready to apply for the upcoming scholarship?

I looked through this thread and found a lot of useful information, but there's still one thing I'm not sure about. My alma mater (Hamilton College, USA) isn't affiliated with the Confucius Institute, so I don't know what to use as my "recommending institution". The list on the CIS site didn't seem to offer any advice for applicants who haven't attended courses at any of their sites or participated in a 汉语桥 competition. I'm planning to take the HSK in March, but either in Shanghai or Hangzhou, and the site only lists test sites outside of China.

The first option I'm considering is to try to apply through a university affiliated with the Confucius Institute. My first choices are Tsinghua and Beida in Beijing, which don't have partnerships with any American schools, but two others that I'm considering (Zhejiang University and Sun Yat-sen University) do.

Or I'm wondering if I could simply apply through a Chinese consulate in the US. This seems like the most direct option now.

I'll contact the head of the Chinese department at my school to see if she has any advice. If anyone here can help point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

You dont have to go to a school that is affiliated with CI to apply for the scholarship, though it might have helped. The recommending institution is who you apply to.

For example, if you apply through the Chinese embassy in the US, well then thats who you put down. If you directly to apply to a University in China like Tsinghua and want to really just study at that one school, you put them as the institution.

There's a lot of debate and uncertainty about which option has the better chance of getting accepting. If you apply to a school like Tsinghua where probably thousands of student apply, the chance might be lower than if you applied for a "smaller" school.

Each "recommending institution" has a certain number of slots open to give scholarships away. The Chinese embassy has many more than one individual school, but the percentage might be smaller when considering how many people apply.

• Like 1

@steveh

Thanks for clearing that up! I misread the section on the CIS site about the school you apply to -- I thought you couldn't use them as the recommending institution unless you were already studying there.

Tsinghua's pretty high on my list at the moment, so for now it looks like I have to decide between them and the US embassy. By the way, would that be the US embassy in China, or vice versa? For instance, the Chinese government scholarship requires applicants to submit everything through the Chinese consulate in their home country.

Actually sorry, I gave you incorrect information. Its not the US embassy. Its the Chinese embassy in the United States. The US embassy has NOTHING to do with this scholarship. Sorry for the confusion.

So whichever institute you select, thats where you send ALL your documents to. If its the Chinese embassy in DC, then you send all your documents there. If its directly to Tinghua that you apply, then you send them your documents.

You can still select to study at Tsinghua even if you choose the embassy as your institute. I believe you get to select three schools that are your main choices to study at for the scholarship. If one refuses, then the next school has the choice. It is also possible to get accepted at a University you did not apply to at all (if you receive the scholarship from the embassy).

Also, this forum has a vast wealth of information, you might find your answer quicker than waiting for a response from someone, especially when half of us are across the world. 8)

>If you directly to apply to a University in China like Tsinghua and want to really just study at that one school, you put them as the institution.

I'm pretty sure that this is false. I found out the hard way by doing this last year and paying a lot of money to get my materials to the university before the deadline, only to end up with a 状态:被驳回 理由:国内院校不能推荐研修生 status. When I contacted the university, I was told that "according to the rules from the headquater Hanban, domestic universities could not as a referrer."

I'd love to be wrong - I'm still trying to figure out how I can apply for the CIS. If I can't use the university I'd like to attend as a reccomending institution, then the only other option would be the embassy, but the CIS website makes it sound like embassies only recommend contestants of the Chinese Bridge contest. Has anyone actually successfully used a Chinese university or their embassy (without competing in any contest) as a recommending institute?

You have to look at the program of the school you are applying for (ie, language studies vs graduate studies). Not all Universities accept CIS students, and those that do dont necessarily over each major. You could be right if you dont check the website of that university that Tsinghua is one of those university's that doesnt directly accept students to apply for CIS. Best way to figure it out is to go onto the schools website and see if they list opportunities under their scholarship section.

But here you go, from the Tsinghua website itself :

"Tsinghua University is authorized by HANBAN to enroll the Confucius Institute Scholarship students who will be studying Chinese language in China for one semester or one year, or those who will be pursuing a Master's degree in relevant majors in China.

The CIS applicants should submit application to the Education Section of Chinese Embassies Overseas, the Confucius Institute in the applicant's home country, Tsinghua University or other related organizations."

http://is.tsinghua.e...arship/cis.html

Don't know why you were refused bakaichi, but its not because they dont accept direct applications. When I applied for my CIS (degree program) I applied directly to the University in China, same with my CSC scholarship.

Well then I'm not sure why I was rejected either. The university I was applying to does indicate that they provide CIS scholarships for the program I was applying for, and also that the forms should be sent directly to the university. I believe that my status was changed to rejected before the documents even arrived, though, so the decision was made by the CIS online application system and not by the university. When you applied, did you fill out the application on the CIS website before sending your documents to the university? Perhaps I will try again next time and apply as early as possible to make sure I have time to try to sort any problems out, but I hate to waste all of that money again.

Well to clarify, I was already studying at the University I was applying to as a study abroad student. When there, they asked me to apply for the Masters Degree under Hanban because they wanted more westerners.

I first applied online at the CIS website and then just handed the University the documents. The University already stated they would accept me, it was then just up to hanban whether to approve or not.

However, when I applied for CSC scholarship, I first emailed the school asking about scholarship opportunities, then I applied to the University and filled out the online CSC scholarship and mailed the documents to that University.

If just applying for basic language scholarship, the competition is more fierce, and could be different than what I have experienced.

Thank you for clarifying. I should have also made it clearer that I was applying for a 1-year Chinese language program, and the rejection does specifically mention 研修生, so perhaps there is a difference when applying for a degree program. I will have to spend some time clarifying this with Hanban and the universities before trying again.

I also applied directly to a school for the CSC, but I found out the hard way (again) that the information on the CSC website doesn't necessarily reflect reality - the CSC site listed the university as accepting non-degree students under the scholarship, while the university told me that they only accepted Masters students or above (after I had paid for everything and sent it off). I would love to work on my Chinese in an immersion environment, but I'm not ready to spend 3+ years in China right now.

Thanks for all of the information!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Has anyone here applied or has the intention of applying for the Master of Teaching Chinese to Speaker of Other Languages, through the Confucius Institute Scholarship? I would need some extra info on this...thank you so much! :)

@Roxana There is alot of info on this degree through the Confucius scholarship, here is one such forum. I recommend reading it all to see how the program has developed in the past few years as well as new requirements for graduation.

http://www.chinese-f...other-languages

I also recommend searching through past forums as you might find the answer faster than people replying.

• Like 1

Well since the site seems to be down and there isnt any information on bclu website yet, I would say the application period hasnt started yet (but dont hold me to that). I would recommend going to the cis website often and looking for updated information, as well as the BLCU website

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, first post here!

My Chinese teacher was encouraging us to apply for this scholarship. Thinking it was oddly late to apply for any kind of program I asked when the scholarship would be for, and she seemed to think you could choose yourself (like this year, or next year). However when I looked at the online application it had the boxes for the program dates grayed out with automatic dates for this upcoming school year ('13-14). Considering my college (as most do, I assume) have certain deadlines to declare if you are studying abroad and deadlines for declaring whether you will be enrolled the next semester (both in terms of a tuition and housing commitment), both of which come months before the June-July notification for this scholarsip, how exactly is that supposed to work??? Unless I am missing something.... it just seems awfully last minute in general to find out if you will be going abroad for a year only a month or two before it would happen... (especially if you are applying to other scholarships/programs, which if you were accepted to them, would probably require a response by June which of course doesn't work out so well with this)