Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

I was wondering how many classes I would be taking if I get the scholarship and study in china? Will it only be one class? And will I have a lot of free time to explore china while learning? Or is it like the university in america where u are a full time student with 15 credits? Will the money they provide be enough?

@amvtop10

Did you apply for the language scholarship, or the Master's? If you are a language scholarship student, then don't worry, in most schools the classes are usually from 8.00 to 12.00, from Monday to Friday, the afternoon is more or less free. Still, there are some schools which organize afternoon classes as well. There are some national holidays in China, so you have time to explore the country and travel a lot.

About the money, well... CIS provides 1400 RMB/month, which is 300 yuan less than the CSC scholarship. In first-tier cities, it is enough to buy food and the necessary things, but you surely can't really save money for travelling. I live in a small city, the prices here are lower than in Beijing or Shanghai, and there are literally no entertainment facilities, so we could save money and travel a lot.

The CSC scholarship says it provides the same 1400RMB for language students per month. There almost identical scholarships. The CSC seems to pay for a hard seat to our university that's the only difference.

I'm not looking forward to the 8am starts ,especially after two years doing much less than 20 hours a week.

On a side note the 5 posts before approval is ridiculously strict on this forum.

@Bjnsharp

"The CSC scholarship says it provides the same 1400RMB for language students per month"

No, it doesn't provide 1400 RMB. At least we get 1700 RMB every month with CSC language scholarship, and so do my friends all over in China. I also read the CSC scholarship benefits, and it is weird for me as well.

The scholarship is 差不多 the same, there are minor differences. Still, I think CSC is better, I have some bad memories with CIS.

@amvtop10 - Most universities offer about 3 classes: listening comprehension, written, and spoken. Some universities offer additional classes, e.g. grammar, HSK practice, etc. There are also optional culture courses such as Chinese calligraphy, Chinese painting, language exchange, etc. Classes generally begins at 8am and ends at 12pm (short breaks between classes). Afternoon is reserved for optional classes so if you do not register for any, you're free to do whatever you want. If you feel your living allowance isn't enough, you can schedule that time to teach English or you can take up internships that pay.

I wouldn't suggest travelling to different cities during national holidays - train stations are packed with local travellers during this time. So if you really want to travel within China, save up and travel during school holidays. You can also visit nearby cities during the weekends!

• New Members

Hey guys,

i've got the following message on ciss online apply system -

申请进度:“奖学金资格评审中”- 授予奖学金

(意见:授予2013年孔子学院奖学金)

2013 你已完成注册报到,祝你身体健康,学业有成。2013年度获得部分奖学金。

So i've got the scholarship i guess. But im quite confused about this part "部分奖学金" (Partial Scholarship).

Can anyone help? I didnt know, that the confucius institute gives partial scholarships too, what does it mean, and what could i get with it? :P

Lasse

Have you all received your application result by now? My status on the online application is at: "requesting the first choice institution to review the application." Doesn't look good at all.

I have also applied for the CIS scholarship and I was wondering how you can check the status of your online application?

I don't know how to navigate the website as I am not very good at reading chinese characters....

Just check the first page when you login. In the top left quarter. Google translate or post here.

I got my first choice, although it wasn't really my first choice. It was just my confucius institute had strong links with this university, I wish I'd got my second choice really. I was advised that there was much more chance of success if I chose the linked university though.

• Like 1

• New Members

Has anyone received an answer? I got accepted to Xiamen university for the 1 year!

申请进度:“奖学金资格评审中”- 授予奖学金

(意见:授予2013年孔子学院奖学金)2013年度获得全额奖学金。

接收院校:厦门大学

Good luck to everyone else!

• Like 2

Congrats to those of you getting scholarships, and a quick reminder - you can find discussion of your university via this index, where you may or may not find existing info and other people heading to the same place.

Thanks @Bjnsharp, I've checked and unfortunately I wasn't allocated my preferences but was accepted to Nankai University instead.

Spoke to my confucius institute about it, but unfortunately i can't go there as i have never done the HSK test.

So they will allocate another university to me by the end of the month.

Regretting the fact that I didn't apply through CSC now...

• Like 1

Still no change in my status. Tomorrow (15th of June) is supposed to be the official date that they announce those who have received the scholarship.

Thankfully, I applied to the CSC which is a little more lenient in terms of HSK requirements.

@emstarrz - I wasn't going to apply for the CSC either. But thankfully someone at the Chinese embassy convinced me to (albeit last minute). I found out later that CIS do not pay for our plane tickets which is a real bummer because it will cost me about 2000 dollars from my country, for a ticket to China.

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for CSC. They'll announce the results next month. Meanwhile, I've lost all hope for my CIS application.

@shuoshuo - I still have no change in my status either. I was accepted by my first choice only a few days after the application deadline, but haven't seen any change since then. Tomorrow is Saturday, so I think they might have to extend 'till next week for the announcements.

@emstarrz - May I ask which scholarship you applied for? One year language or something else? I am wondering because you were accepted by Nankai even though it wasn't one of your preferences. I wanted to go to Nankai and I emailed them before applying and they told me their quota is already full ( how that works, I have no idea, this was before the deadline, so it might be that all their scholarship spots are somehow prearranged?) and advised me to apply to other universities. Now that I see your post, I am almost regretting not putting Nankai as my first preference anyway, I might have had a chance. Well, too bad, I don't think I can change the university now.