Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@ obscuritea

Welcome! Yes, the dates are set for which semesters you get the scholarship, usually either being one semester (fall semester) or the whole year. And unfortunately in terms of the last minute notice of being given the scholarship or not, that is generally how it works. There is no way of knowing the final decision of Confucius until then, and they are not always on time either.

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

If anyone here is from the Philippines, the Confucius Institute at the Ateneo de Manila University is now accepting applications. You may visit their website through this link.

The Institute's partner is Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou Fifteen MTSCOL scholarships and twenty language scholarships are open to applicants from this Institute. Applicants can also apply to other universities are also accepted, but there is a greater chance of acceptance (almost guaranteed) if you choose in SYSU.

The CI-Ateneo is also accepting direct applications to Xiamen University (MTSCOL or language scholarships) and Hebei University of Science and Technology (language scholarships only).

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hello everyone.

I'm filling in this year CIS form and I'm a bit confused (as everyone who has filled this form before I guess).

What is 在华事务联系人或监护人/Business contacts in China or guardian?

I filled in consulate information of my country. Not sure if this right.

How big should 申请陈述/Application Statement(介绍中文学习背景,来华学习计划及目的) be? In scholarship requirements it is said that it should be no less than 800 charachters and in input filed itslef it is written 200-800 characters. That's confusing. And what should I write in there? May be someone can post his own statement as an example?

My confucius institute is telling me I "have" to put down our sister university in changchun as my 1st choice priority for my application to be accepted, otherwise the application will be refused. Does anyone else have this problem? My chinese teacher who also works for confucius institute contacted hanban and he told me that is what they told him. Is this a bunch of bull or is there any backing towards it?

thanks

@tyedi

This question has been answered before, you can find alot of information quicker by searching through the forums than you can waiting for a response.

The scholarship only covers on campus living. If you live outside of campus, you pay for it out of your own pocket. No help from the scholarship at all.

If you are applying for a language student or masters student, the room is usually a double room. If applying for a PhD the school should give you a single room.

Every school is different, so no, it doesnt necessarily mean the crappiest room, but really no dorms are THAT great in China.

Wait... So this scholarship pays for everything? The tution and pays for our rooms? So where do the food come from? We pay everything out of our own pocket?

Will we have like a full schedule class or is it just one class? What if you do not really know chinese very well and is just a beginner. I scored 120 on the HSK exam by pure luck because i heard words. A lot of the stuff I did not learn yet and I am horrible translating and my order are usually wrong.

If we don't know fair chinese? Are we screwed?

How will we know if we won or not for this year?

Hi!

So I submitted my application on Wednesday, our local Confucius Institute approved it later that day and as of today my status says: “接收院校审核中”- 录取 (意见:成绩优异,同意录取。) I did not expect it to go this fast at all. Has anyone else been accepted by their host university already? I know the process and I read the posts from last year, so obviously it's not a done deal yet. I was wondering how common it is for Hanban to refuse to award the scholarship after one has been accepted by the university, I mean, has this happened to anyone here?

Anyway, good luck to everyone who's applied this year!

• Like 2

• New Members

Yes, it pays for everything. For lessons, accommodation, books, medical insurance, plus they give somewhat around 1500 RMB monthly so you can survive even without own money.

Looks like usually lessons are 20 hours per week, may be it varies in different institutions, not much anyway. I suppose there will be group with appropriate level for anyone. If you score 120 in HSK, it means that you haven't passed it, minimum score is 180.

Screwed or not depends on your definition of "screwed". With low Chinese level it will be tough sometimes I guess, but even if you can't explain yourself in normal way, Chinese are usually friendly and willing to help so it's possible to communicate with gestures and simplest words. Anyway living in China one have to speak Chinese and learn Chinese so effectiveness will exceed that of studying at home tenfold.

Won or not will be displayed in status on cis.chinese.cn I guess. Anyway host or recommending institute will inform you.

I got a message that saids this: (意见:申请者身份属实,材料齐全,同意推荐。) Of course I can't read this because I only got 120 on the HSK. Google translate saids this: (Views: the identity of the applicant are true, the materials are complete and agreed to recommend.)

Does this mean I won?

If I win, will I be in a group with other foregin students who won the scholarship also who got 120 on their HSK? If you have 120 HSK does that mean you can speak chinese very well? or make complete sentences?

@amvtop10

Ummmmm what? Your status means that you are recommended for the scholarship. It doesnt mean 100% that you will receive (but a very high chance). At this point the scholarship will look at the schools you applied for and send your information to them. If they accept you, then great! If they dont, the scholaship might ask other schools you didnt apply for that can choose to accept you or not. If no school accepts you, then virtually you do not get the scholarship.

As for your HSK score, it is COMPLETELY irrelevant right now. There are 6 levels of HSK with 6 being the highest. Can you speak chinese well or make complete sentences? I think thats something only you would know at this point.

The point of the scholarship is to offer students a chance to improve their Chinese, so even though you did not pass the HSK test, it does not matter.

If you do receive the scholarship and are accepted into a University, upon arriving you will most likely have a language test on some sort on the spot to determine which class you will be in.

Oh that make sense now. I am able to make full sentences but some sentences I make are not spoken correctly. My grammar is horrible and some stuff I have to think for a while. I do not think I can have a 1 minuite conversation with someone.

Do you know when we would get an acceptance or denail letter by? I hear on the forum from last year that it was May 31st. Is it the same for this year. Also this year they only let you pick 2 university instead of 3 as the previous years.

What if I fail all my classes in China. What happens to me?

I applied for this scholarship quite late. Only submitted online on the 30th April. I have the same notification as a few others already and my girlfriend says it means I have been accepted. Is it possible this just means your application has been accepted by the university and not actually approved by hanban? Anyway as with most Chinese things its such a palaver, would have been almost impossible with the kind help of my Confucius institute director.

• New Members

Hiii everyone!!! Thanks for all the info.

I applied for the scholarship this year. Today I logged in and found this message:

(意见:身份属实,材料齐全,同意录取。)

Can anyone please tell what does it mean in terms of the procedure??

THANKS

:)

“接收院校审核中”- 录取 means you were accepted by the university. My status looks very similar. Now Hanban has to make the final decision on who receives the scholarship. The universities actually have 'till May 25th to decide and give the admission lists to Hanban and Hanban has to decide by June 15th. At least that's what I've been told. So we're not quite there yet, unfortunately.

• Like 1