Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2014

haoyu

Lily91 - Yes, it's the blood test you did when you were completing your physical examination form.

Shixun - Have you tried calling the embassy? I was under the impression that the embassies already have the list of scholarship winners. They might not publish the results, try to look into the history of how your embassy informs students.  For example, some embassies will publish the results and others won't.

• Like 1

@ Katty & @ Kat

I will also be a student at BLCU! It would be great if we could meet there! :)  As for registration, in my admission notice it is stated that I should register from September 3rd to September 5th. However, I will arrive in Beijing on August 27th and I send an e-mail to Ms. Huang who is responsible for the scholarship students in BLCU and asked her if I can stay in the dorms before registration or I should stay in a hotel until then.

However, does anyone know if they reply to e-mails? :help

Moreover, someone mentioned about the airport welcome and pick up. Are we eligible for airport pick up? As you know, the transfer service is conducted by BLCU but can we use it too or is it exclusive for those students who make a stopover in Beijing in their way to their uni which is located in another city?

This forum has been a blessing to many....

Now somebody tell me about arriving in Beijing....suppose i arrange my own temporary accomodation before going to uni? Bcoz i've a friend i'll spend in his house first

1) What is your native country? USA

2) Where did you apply? Embassy in DC

3) When did you apply? March 18th

4) When was the deadline? Was told march 18th when i called the embassy but perhaps this was the deadline for the first wave of applicants because it seems some people applied a month later and were fine

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No

6) What program did you apply for? Three year masters with one year language

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. Nanjing University 2. Sun yat sen university 3. Jilin university

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? The one for the embassy in dc cant remember it at the moment

10) Where did you get your physical done? Local clinic

11) How did you get your documents notarized? My bank does them for free

Finally, for those getting results:

13) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Yes

14) How were you notified? I was e-mailed by the embassy, assigned a school that was not one of my choices, then got preadmission to jilin university and sent it to them asking to change to that school

15) When were you accepted/rejected? April 21st by the embassy, july 11th official acceptance from the csc

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Jilin university masters in contemporary and modern chinese literature with one year language prep

Just a heads up for next year embassy applicants, it seems that if you are applying for graduate programs its probably better for you to obtain preadmission before you apply because otherwise the csc might send your application somewhere else. When i first got my scholarship acceptance letter they also gave me an admission letter to a school i didnt apply to and didnt want to go to. When i contacted my three choices, they told me they hadnt received my application and that the csc reserves the right to send my application elsewhere. Luckily, i was notified of my scholarship acceptance early and able to obtain the pre admission lette to a school that had not yet filled their quota. I have been following the csc forums for over a year now and it seems this year the scholarship has more guidelines and is more competitive.

@njl send me a private message

Well I'm in a predicament of sorts. I applied to study in both Taiwan and Mainland earlier this year, crossing my fingers I would be awarded at least something and be able to travel in the fall. Turns out I was crazy lucky to be awarded 6-months in Taiwan and now possibly 1-2 years in China. I feel pretty awful at having to turn down either offer.

I know someone mentioned being able to delay receiving the scholarship. Does anyone think I could somehow delay arriving in China by half a year in order to accept both? My first guess is to contact the uni in China and see what they are able to accommodate.

@ Tiefu

I agree with shuoshuo. The status won't change anymore. I already got informed that I got the scholarship 2 weeks ago and this Friday I also received my documents package and my status at Laihua is still "checking". So, just wait the news from your embassy and it's no worth looking your status in Laihua anymore.

@ David Ma

Yeap that's correct, I mentioned about the scholarship postpone. You have to contact your uni as soon as possible and tell them that for some really serious reason you would like to postpone your scholarship and start from next year. They may also ask you to contact CSC or they will just do it themselves.

However, I have to ask you : are you sure you want to study in Taiwan? :P  The universities of course are great there but there's a huge difference : the characters are all traditional Chinese EVERYWHERE and not the simplified ones that we, foreigners, as well as the Chinese people in mainland China are taught and used in all Mainland China. Of course, if you know or have studied traditional Chinese characters you will have no problem, but otherwise it will be really hard for you to study in Taiwan since it will seem like a completely new language to you! Speaking is of course the same, except for the case of dialects which also applies in Mainland China, but reading will be like another language!! So, please choose carefully! :)

• Like 1

@Song Hu Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if I'll have to postpone for a whole year until next fall or if I can postpone half a year and start in February 2015 right after finishing up in Taiwan.

I am aware about the traditional characters in Taiwan. I would actually prefer to learn them over simplified. While I have started in simplified, I think my vocabulary is so very small that it wouldn't matter much. :) I would basically just start over.

The down side, of course, would be that I would have to switch over to simplified after a entire half year of finally getting good at traditional.

The accommodation in Taiwan seems a lot better than in China and the schools seem really high quality too (good teachers, small class sizes, etc.). I was originally awarded 3 months but another student rescinded their offer and it went to me. I feel way too lucky to pass the opportunity up.

@songHu Thank you for your information. To my understanding we have to fill the online application form and then we have to book the slot. If i am wrong please correct me. Any more information please let me know.

Thank you.

Tiefu

I agree with shuoshuo. The status won't change anymore. I already got informed that I got the scholarship 2 weeks ago and this Friday I also received my documents package and my status at Laihua is still "checking". So, just wait the news from your embassy and it's no worth looking your status in Laihua anymore.

Thanks! Good to know and not to bother with that:)

Song Hu - Do you know people who have successfully postpone their scholarship? As far as I know, you will be able to defer your admissions from the university, but you will lose the scholarship and will have to re-apply.  Which means you waste a quota seat and will have to use up a new one the following year.

David Ma - CSC students begin at the fall semester (even if some universities do have programmes that begin at the spring semester).  The annual scholarship review is done some time around March or April.  I highly doubt you will be able to start on the Spring.

All that said, if you choose another scholarship, I don't see how they will give you an exception and allow you to automatically take up the scholarship the following year.  I just don't see this happening at all. I also wish I could push the whole thing to next year or the year after that, but I already know this against the rule. For now, you have to choose either Taiwan or China.  After your 6 months is over, you can try applying for the CSC scholarship again.

Hi Guys,

Is there anyone from Indonesia who got a scholarship to Beijing?

I managed to secure a scholarship to 中央财经大学,北京 yet I doubt I have acquaintances from Indonesia as well.

I hope I could find some friends before leaving for Beijing this August.