Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2014

haoyu

@Song Hu ,don't worry, Beijing is a great place to learn Mandarin and BLCU is a good university though! I ve been there one, it seemed quite nice!

At least you was accepted to your third choice uni. Yesterday I found out that I was accepted to the university I hadn't even chosen!! It is Zhejiang Normal University, located in Jinhua.

At first I was just destroyed because I chose Fudan, Tongi and Zhejiang university and expected to go to Shanghai or Hangzhou, and now I am going to study in a small city I even haven't heard about!!!

I asked my chinese friends about this university and city, the uni is quite good, but there is local dialect, so mandarin will be practiced mostly in the campus. Now I guess it is not a bad option,as nothing goin' to distract me and most of my time I'll spend on learning chinese ( well, I am trying to calm myself down haha). It s better than not to receive a scholarship so I guess it's a tiny problem now :lol:

• Like 1

LOL Karina - almost everyone chooses those universities you mentioned.  I think you will like Jinhua in Zhejiang.  I've heard about it, I think it's where many billionaires or millionaires or entrepreneurs in China choose to live.

No matter where everyone is placed, everyone ends up loving the experience!

@ shuoshuo

Thank you very much for putting all these information for me and I really apologize for saying that you could even have made me cry with what you told me before!!  :P  :D  I have seen in all your posts how encouraging you are to everyone and in no way do I believe that you tried to discourage me! As you said, you just love Shanghai, so you think it's better! Of course, I will visit Shanghai one day and I hope we could meet there in person!!  :D  Thank you again for everything!

@ Tianlongprc & @ Karina

Thank you both so much for your encouraging words!! :D After relaxing, hearing all these great words from you and putting my mind at ease, I realized that maybe Beijing was the best option for me from the very beginning! Of course, I also trully believe that I am trully blessed for getting a full scholarship for 5 years and I also feel extremely grateful to that, but you know... it was just the first shock that blurred my mind and made me feel disappointed and I am now really sorry for that!! :oops:

So, Karina you also don't have to worry for nothing and feel depressed!! :D  I am sure you will realize that the university you got admitted into will prove to be the best for you and you won't want to leave from there!! :P

Congratulations once again, I wish you all the best in your studies and life and I trully wish that we will continue to exchange news about our life in China through this forum or other ways!! :D

• Like 1

NJL - I've been to Changchun. Jilin University has a good reputation.  The only problem (for me anyway) would be the weather: it's almost always quite cold there and winter months will be absolutely freezing.  But I actually loved my short experience there.  It's close to Harbin, and that area of China is quite different from the rest. People are friendly. When I was there, I felt that things seemed noticeably cheaper than Shanghai.  That said, the night scene is quite limited in comparison to bigger cities like BJ and SH. But there will be enough fun things to keep you busy~!

Thanks for the reply Shoushou, you seem to have a great knowledge of China! I think the weather will take a bit of getting used to, especially coming from Australia! lol. What is the pollution like compared to other cities in China? Also, are there many westerners in Jilin? One of the main reasons I chose Jilin as one of my preferences was because I felt it would force me to use Chinese all the time, however it would be good if there were at least a few westerners.

Hi Sayuri, yes I applied through the embassy. I was told today that I had received the CGS to Jilin University. Did you also apply there?

Karina

Every city in China have its local dialect, if you want to come to Chine just get used to it~

Even in Shanghai, if you come to Minhang, Songjiang and even Pudong a lot of 上海人 mostly talk in 上海话, and not just old people!

Shuoshuo

I will call my embassy again, but I think its useless =(

Edit: I just called them and the secretary told me the person responsible for scholarships just come back to work on next Monday, probably because Xi Jinping is in Brazil now

哭出来

• Like 1

@shuoshuo I tried doing that hahahaa, called the embassy, they said only the MOE can let me know. Called the MOE, they said wait. They haven't received anything. Bleh. I cant wait to go back to my current campus on saturday to get my mind off things

@njl Jilin University is a very respectable school. There is pollution and it gets worse in the winter when coal is burned For heating boilers. There are foreigners there but most will be Russian or Korean. The locals are very friendly and they speak very good putonghua. I personally would not mind going to school there.

@njl

yes, I applied to Jida through the embassy, but I also applied another uni directly and that Uni chase me first.

So I suppose, I will not be enrolled to JiDa.

Dont know what about uni, but Changchun itself is a very nice place. There are pretty much foreigners here due to big car factories in Changchun. I have met a lot of expats from Europe, who were working on Wolwo, and other auto factories here. Visit Mayflower 2 to get acquainted with them :-)  Another pretty thing is low air pollutions level (according to aqicn.org).

that web-site always shows that changchun's air has a green (healthy) or a yellow (moderate) level of pollution. 

Hello,

I got scholarship in Central South University, Changsha !!! can someone tell me about CSU business school, about campus and also accommodation? Further how's the weather in Changsha and something about foreign community?  

NJL - No matter where you go in China you will meet people who will speak to you in English.  Also through my personal observation and experience: because foreigners are far away from home, the constant exposure to Chinese (language, culture, different people) can be very overwhelming so at some point we will just want to be around people we can relate to.  So you can almost expect to have a group of friends who you speak English to.  It is actually up to you if you choose to use Mandarin with friends who do not speak English as a first language.  The best thing to do is to try to speak Mandarin with everyone.  That way it becomes habitual.

Lin You Le - I hope you receive your result soon!

Ladyferoz - That's very strange.  I mean, why would your embassy tell you to contact the MOE if they are the one responsible for sending the documents to the MOE? That's just really odd.

Hi guys, I was accepted to the University of Science and Technology Beijing, although it was not in my list(Maybe because of my very Low GPA and without pre-admission letter) but anyway, I'm happy.  Is here anyone also in this uni? 
Congratulations to other awardees. Wish you successful and joyful life in China ;)
So:

1) What is your native country? Georgia
2) Where did you apply? CSC, via Embassy of P.R.China in Georgia
3) When did you apply? April 16th 2014
4) When was the deadline? April 18th 2014
5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No.
6) What program did you apply for? for general scholar, 1 year Chinese Language Program, fields of study - Business Administration.
7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1. UNIVERSITY OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS.    2. CENTRAL UNIVERSITY OF FINANCE AND ECONOMICS.  3. CAPITAL UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS
8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No
9) What agency number did you use? #2681
10) Where did you get your physical done? Local Hospital
11) Did you get your documents notarized? Yes
12) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Yes
13) Did you receive any university admission letters (prior to receiving a scholarship)? No
14) How were you notified? Call from the local embassy
15) When were you accepted/rejected? July 14th
16) What school and program were you accepted to? University of Science and Technology Beijing

Registration in the uni starts in the 3rd of September, so I should arrive several days before registration day right? I guess I should notify someone about arriving. The website of uni says almost nothing about it.

@NJL I'm still awaiting my results but I'm almost positive I will be at JiDa. I taught English in Changchun last year. There are a lot of foreigners in town. There are also certain bars and restaurants downtown that are almost exclusively filled with foreigners, you won't even a lick of Chinese being spoken. I didn't put the effort to make Chinese friends, which was detrimental to my language learning. However, Changchun is a good place to be a student because everyone speaks putonghua, and the northeast accent is generally easy to pick up on.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I feel like I should enjoy myself in Changchun and Jilin University sounds like it has a good reputation in China.

@emilyn88 - It's good to know another member on the forum is going to JiDa. If you don't mind me asking, what are you planning on studying and what country are you from? If you are interested, I would be glad to meet up with you when I get to Changchun. It would be good to make a friend who is already familiar with the city :)