Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2014

haoyu

Song Hu - I'm sure you will have a great time there, no matter the situation.  I think the best thing to do is to check it out and see how things are.  The international student body in BLCU is very large, you will meet all kinds of awesome people. If that doesn't work for you, or if you want to transfer then it is something you can attempt to do before you start university next year.

@shuoshuo

could you elaborate on that? it was bad in what way? was there a mold, no hot water...or noisy neighbors?

I looked at their website, seemed alright. Though of course, I understand there might be a huge gap between a few photos and the reality.

@Song Hu

Beijing is not the worst case, you can actually find many cities in China that are more polluted than Beijing and I can bet that the night-life of Beijing may compete with Shanghai. Lots of students have gone to this university, you can read their experience here, including about accommodation: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/35247-blcu-index/

I may not be correct, but I think there is not only one dormitory, so perhaps it is possible to move from one to another.

• Like 1

@ scooby

Thank you so much for your information!! I really appreciate that! :D

Awww I don't know what to think guys... I was looking so much forward to going to Shanghai and that was such a shock for me... :(  I feel it ruined my happiness for the scholarship... Was it so difficult to get accepted at SISU or East China Normal University? :( Will BLCU be a decent university? Hearing Shuoshuo tell me this about its facilities, doesn't make me think the best...

@ ladyferoz

Yeah, I was trying to make some fun at least... :P  Thanks for your good words and wish you all the best for your results too! :D

However, as I described above, I am not going to Shanghai but to Beijing.. :-?

@Song Hu

Cheer up, BLCU is considered pretty good. :) There are people who put it there as a first choice, I myself am hoping to be accepted there. From what I've heard, free dorms (1&9, if I remember correctly) are messy, noisy, ugly and generally bad, but you can pay the difference and move to a better dorm. So not everything is lost!

And about the reasons for being accepted to BLCU instead of Shanghai... I'm just guessing, but maybe it's because of these 1 year prep Chinese classes? I mean, BLCU has a huge section for international Chinese language students, probably bigger than in Shanghai. So maybe they wanted to accept you on your major in Shanghai, but then they couldn't offer you those language classes so they moved you? Still, it's just a wild guess.

• Like 1

@SongHu

Check the BLCU part in forum, and also google Dorm 1 Blcu, not the best but everything can be fixed with a little water and soap clean it up and it will look brand new. You can make lemonade with lemons, and you will have an amazing time there!

• Like 1

No I meant good luck with applying to change to shanghai. But even if you can't, you'll have an amazing time.

You're off to Great Places!

Today is your day!

Your mountain is waiting,

So... get on your way! - Dr Seuss

• Like 1

not the best but everything can be fixed with a little water and soap clean it up and it will look brand new

And if it still sucks, we can organize a group trip to IKEA and redecorate. That's actually my plan if I get to BLCU and have to live in dorm 1 or 9. :D

• Like 1

@ Jagna & @ ladyferoz

Thank you very much girls for your support! I realy appreciate it and you trully cheered me up! :D

I'll try to think positive from now on, find more information about the university the coming days and wait for my document package to arrive to see my papers.

After all, it's a great and unique opportunity for me to study in the field that I always wanted, so in no way I will give up! :D  Maybe it is for better since I always feel that every obstacle in our life happens for a reason and at the very end we will see it only happened for the better!

@ Dyana

Congratulations to you for your admission.

@Song Hu

Don't worry, Beijing is beautiful city and BLCU is also considered one of the biggest University to manage the CSC affairs, I hope there ll be no worst conditions for living in BLCU.

• Like 1

@ rashid1587

Thank you very much for your encouraging words!! :D  After reading all these great words from so many people, I started feeling that maybe BLCU was for my best! Trully thank you all for your precious help!! :D

Wish everyone all the best with their results, happy new life in China for those that got admitted and for those who didn't never give up!!! Everything happens for a reason!! :D

If anyone knows anything about BLCU, please feel free to share it with us!!

Song Hu - In all fairness, I'm not the right person to hear all this from.  I only visited BLCU for one day (they put me in the hotel that they placed temporary students in). That was many years ago, I'm sure (and I hope) that they have upgraded the living situation since then.  Apart from that, I've lived in Beijing for a total of a few weeks.  So perhaps you should hear from students and people who have lived there for years and absolutely love it there.  There is a certain "rivalry" between those of us who have lived in Shanghai and those who have lived in Beijing.  These are two of China's major cities. So like I said, I'm extremely biased in this case.

Your major require you to be excellent in Mandarin, so living in Beijing will have its huge benefits.  In Beijing, everyone around you speaks 'putonghua'. It's not the same in Shanghai.  In Shanghai, almost everyone is speaking Shanghainese or another dialect, so half the time you cannot really practice your listening skills in Mandarin.

@wpskinner

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I'm very pleased to say I was on the list for a category B scholarship. Just to know I have a place is great, to have a bit of extra money to go with is a real bonus. Wish everyone else all the best!

I was tired of waiting for the MOE to inform me so I contacted the embassy, and they have confirmed that I got the scholarship! I don't have all the details yet, but my university did tell me (through a quick email) that I got my first choice programme.

• Like 1