Chinese-Forums

2017 CSC Scholarships

Angelina

it gets to the point where one has to realize that the competition may be high,and getting any scholarship ,especially full should be and an option,even if it may not be at your dream school.i encourage you to keep researching NPU ,and if csc granted you scholarship there than maybe its not that bad,but i also advice waiting for some time to get a proper confirmation from peking as well,

the most important thing is not regretting your choice later on @ctan15

@philippo @vabbian @VL02 @Yamiiiiii @karakorum Thank you so much for all the responses! I really appreciate it guys, glad to be in this forum. Based on your responses, the collective answer is to WAIT and I will definitely follow your advice. 

Most of the people I asked gave a no brainer answer in favor of PekingU, and NPU is actually really far in rankings (my Uni here in my country is even higher than NPU in rankings). But the reason why I’m having a dilemma is because the tuition in PekingU is soooo expensive (CNY 188,000) specifically because I applied for an MBA. And I don’t have the money to pay for that and all the other expenses. On the other hand, the reason I’m still considering NPU is because well I will still get to learn more Chinese for free, and I’m thinking that if I get studious enough I’ll get to learn something regardless of the teaching quality (just being very optimistic hahaha) but at the end of the day I don’t think the reputation of the school won’t be of any help when I apply for work after graduation.

By the way, I already tendered my resignation hahaha soooo…. this is scary hahaha I really just need to have more faith and be diligent in prayer.

@Jina The scholarship that I got from NPU is the one I applied through AUN which I think is the same process if you applied through embassies =embassy > CSC > University. This is different if you applied directly through the university =university > CSC > university. Some schools have released scholarship results, some haven’t.

• Like 2

@ctan15 I agree with @Yamiiiiii opinion. the sole fact of getting a full scholarship from any program or university it's a great achievement. I chose NPU as my third option just in case I don't get into SJTU or Tsinghua (I applied via embassy for bachelor's program) 

Regarding the rankings I wouldn't pay too much attention to them since their measurements are heavily relied on research output. Keep in mind that NPU it's part of the project 211 and 985

Some basic search can tell you that NPU is not as bad as you may think:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_211

Project 211 (Chinese: 211工程; pinyin: 211 gōngchéng) is a project of National Key Universities and colleges initiated in 1995 by the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China, with the intent of raising the research standards of high-level universities and cultivating strategies for socio-economic development. During the first phase of the project, from 1996 to 2000, approximately US$2.2 billion was distributed.[1]

China today has 116 institutions of higher education (about 6 percent) designated as 211 Project institutions for having met certain scientific, technical, and human resources standards and offer advanced degree programs). Project 211 schools take on the responsibility of training four-fifths of doctoral students, two-thirds of graduate students, half of students from abroad and one-third of undergraduates. They offer 85% of the state's key subjects, hold 96 percent of the state's key laboratories, and consume 70% of scientific research funding.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_985

Project 985 (Chinese: 985工程; pinyin: 985 gōngchéng) is a project that was first announced by CPC General secretary and Chinese President Jiang Zemin at the 100th anniversary of Peking University on May 4, 1998 to promote the development and reputation of the Chinese higher education system by founding world-class universities in the 21st century[1] and eponymous after the date of the announcement, May 1998, or 98/5, according to the Chinese date format.[2] The project involves both national and local governments allocating large amounts of funding to certain universities[3] in order to build new research centers, improve facilities, hold international conferences, attract world-renowned faculty and visiting scholars, and help Chinese faculty attend conferences abroad.[4]

In 2009, the original 9 founding member universities of Project 985 formed the C9 League,[4] which is referred to as the Chinese equivalent of the US Ivy League.[5] By the end of the second phase of the project, 39 universities were sponsored. It was announced in 2011 that the project has closed its doors, and no more new schools will be able to join in.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwestern_Polytechnical_University

Academics

NPU has a strong research capacity in engineering. It was confirmed as one of the National Key Universities by the State Council in 1960. In the 7th and 8th Five-year plan, NPU was listed as one of the 15 National Key Developing Universities. In the 9th Five-year plan, NPU joined the Project 211. And, in the 10th Five-year plan, NPU joined the Project 985.[7]

Since its establishment, NPU has educated more than 150,000 high level technicians and researchers for China's defense industry and national economy development. The first PhD from 6 disciplines in China was graduated from NPU.[8] And, among NPU's alumni, there are more than 30 fellows of the CAS and the CAE, 30 generals in PLA and 6 recipients of China's TOP 10 Outstanding Youth Elite.[9]

Funding

The university's research funding has been continually rising every year. It reached 1.67 billion RMB in 2010 (0.26 billion USD), ranking 5th among all universities in China with funding per faculty member ranked 1st. And, in 2011, it reached 1.91 billion RMB.[10]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, It is true that most top chinese universities won't be known outside Asia (they may be known after some years) but that doesn't mean that you won't get a high quality education in such institutions. If your main concern is getting into a top 100 PhD/masters program afterwards, you don't need to worry as long as you take full advantage of research, internship and educational opportunities that your university has to offer. Don't forget to have fun :P

@MrDuque i agree with u. Some times ranking dont really matter. Most of it adds up to how expensive tuition is, the location of institution, the alumni, so many factors. Afterall i read that the last robotics competition organised for chinese universities was won by taiyuan university which is not in top 100. Schools as tsingua and perkins were present. So what u shud to do which the academic opportunity given to u depends on u. Even if u go to havard university and decide nt to be serious u wont get what is offered. It only wen u get to d school u would know the quality nt just wat is written on the internet

• Like 1

I would just point out that depending where you want to work, the university does matter. Some companies have target schools where they hire people, top unis. Doing good does matter, but you can do average in a top uni and have better chance than average at normal uni.

I would guess that if you want to work in china this will make a difference, now depending which country you want to go after studying in china, which uni you study will prob make no difference, unless the one that will hire you is an alumni.

Reputation is very important ESPECIALLY for MBA.

The MBA from NPU is probably worth less than the paper it is written upon.

There are very few Chinese unis that are recognised internationally. Even if your plan is to work in China, it would be better to get a MBA from a lesser known western uni than somewhere like NPU.

• Like 1