Chinese-Forums

2017 CSC Scholarships

Angelina

@Saleh nordvpn is the only other vpn that comes closest and it's still much worse. ExpressVPN is $100 for 12 month subscription, and although that may seem steep, it's worth it. It works more than 95%  of the time, and they're always coming up with new ways to go around the great firewall. There are definitely a few cheaper ones, but I personally would only use/currently am using ExpressVPN right now; even though I'm still in the USA. Regardless of what service you choose, don't use any free VPNs, like Hola, because they steal your information to sell, thus defeating the purpose of the vpn.

• Like 1

• New Members
  • On vpns, China issued a statement a couple weeks ago that all personal vpns will not be allowed by Feb 1, 2018.  Earlier this week, Apple pulled all of their vpn apps from within China.  So, they might work for a while, but it looks like they will be going away in the not-so-distant future.

Does anyone know if it is ok to enter China on ordinary tourist visa?I worry I might not have enough time do go through proper visa formalities with those university papers once they arive, before my flight to China...

Anyway i will have to change it for resident permit later on right...

@artfullounger

@PeacellvesZhongguo

@edwinpv14

thanks for the the useful information.

In your experience did the NYC Consulate ever ask for the physical exam form? In the admission letters I've seen that it says to bring the physical plus blood tests to the embassy, but I am unsure of this point. (For the x1 visa since I plan on being there over one year)

IMG_6745.PNG

@PeacellvesZhongguo very useful information. I will opt to do the tests and stuff in China as it is much cheaper. One bureaucratic step at a time. As long as the Consulate doesn't care about it I won't worry about it until I get to Shanghai.

on the downside I will need to buy my one way ticket soon. 

謝謝!

@artfullounger I don't know. I bought roundtrip because my mum wants me to visit periodically at the end of every semester/ I need to stock up on hair supplies because I can't buy them in China. Since, you're attending for a prolonged time like me, I highly doubt it though. You could call up the New York Consulate to ask, they're relatively helpful. Real talk though, it's the same cost to go roundtrip twice in the year (sept-Jan, feb-June), then to do sept-june ticket (for my Americans that intended to come home), at least on the east coast. 

@artfullounger of course! I'm intending on working in Beijing for the summer, but I've got to return home first and attend my little sister's graduation. 90% of studying in China is taking the opportunity to see the country and visiting others. Just never go to Lijiang. You'll get ripped off times a hundred compared to most other places...which says a lot.

• Like 2

@Kambili You can go on tourist visa but contact ppl from your university before that. I had do that once in Chengdu because my papers got lost in the mail and I had plane booked. I have contacted Uni and proposed going on tourist visa and then getting residence permit on new papers.